Welcome to Stoneyford

Started by Doogie Browser, April 09, 2008, 10:57:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doogie Browser

Did anyone else see the Spotlight programme last night?  Would make you sick thinking about the intimidation that several catholic families have endured in the past 10 years in this village.  One now former resident had CCTV and they showed footage of his house being attacked by arsonists as his wife and child slept upstairs, but for the grace of god they managed to escape.

I have to say the thugs at the end did more to highlight the obvious sectarianism that exists in the village more than any TV programme could ever do.

The Spotlight reporter was interviewing Paul Butler (local MLA for the constituency) and a few 'heavies' started to loiter and shout abuse at the group.  Next thing a load of scum bags in a black Astra drove right up bseide the reporter and did their best to knock them down!!  One Johnny Adair lookalike - who was their spokesperson though I am certain unelected -  (with Linfield hat and coat, lucky Tony is in Liverpool lads) took it on himself to spit at the camera, it was disgusting appalling behaviour and to be honest showed this shower of lowlife in the best possible light in my opinion.

As someome who comes from what can be described as a strongly nationalist working class area I can safely say that my community would not behave like that if people from another 'persuasion' moved in, in fact where I live has several ethnic groups now and they live free from intimidation.

The main point of the programme was to show sectarianism still is very much prevalent in the 6 counties and there is no doubt it exists on both sides, but believe me folks you would not believe the hate and vitriol that Spotlight showed last night from this group of thugs.

glens73

I watched it and I have to say that the Catholics that have moved to a place like that obviously don't understand the mindset of some of these loyalist places.

They appear to have moved from West Belfast where everybody is nationalist and they were probably naive in where they chose to go.

I grew up close to Ballymena and there are a lot of loylaist villages in North Antrim where Catholics are not welcome and they would be chased out of there.

Donagh

My God, it's almost as if some Protestant children were brought up to hate Catholics just as erm,  German children were taught to hate Jews under the Nazis.

guy crouchback

Quoteglens73

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Welcome to Stoneyford
« Reply #1 on: Today at 11:17:22 AM »
I watched it and I have to say that the Catholics that have moved to a place like that obviously don't understand the mindset of some of these loyalist places.

They appear to have moved from West Belfast where everybody is nationalist and they were probably naive in where they chose to go.

I grew up close to Ballymena and there are a lot of loylaist villages in North Antrim where Catholics are not welcome and they would be chased out of there.

Aye your absolutely right Glensman, stupid f**k*n taigs.

glens73

Quote from: guy crouchback on April 09, 2008, 11:22:12 AM
Quoteglens73

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Welcome to Stoneyford
« Reply #1 on: Today at 11:17:22 AM »

Aye your absolutely right Glensman, stupid f**k*n taigs.

I am not saying they were stupid just that they were naive of the reality that exists in places like that.

There is unbelievable bigotry in and around Ballymena and many other places in Antrim, if a lot of loyalists in these places had their way Catholics wouldn't breathe the same air as them.

thejuice

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/tv/programmes/spotlight/index.shtml

would this be the right program? seems like the right topic but dated march 11th
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

screenexile

Yeah that's the one alright... if you get a chance to watch it on iplayer you should... it will definitely open your eyes to a few things!

glens73

Quote from: thejuice on April 09, 2008, 11:28:55 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/tv/programmes/spotlight/index.shtml

would this be the right program? seems like the right topic but dated march 11th

That's the one, broadcast must have been delayed for some reason.

Maybe to ensure all the Catholics featured on the show had moved out by the time it was broadcast.

EC Unique

Showed them up for the cavemen scum that they really are. The IQ levels would not be too high!

thejuice

Christ thats brutal, what sort of scum bags are they. Burning houses, kicking in doors, burning halls, throwing stones at kids, intimidation of teenagers because of their clothing, threatening to abduct kids, what sort of a degenerate individual carrys on like that. People really have a long way to go up North still. Some clearly arent interested in mixing.

As for the lads at the end, well what can you say. I can imagine that many in that community would have a certain problem with a former IRA man and convicted murderer being interviewed even if he is an elected MLA but those knackers are nothing short of thugs.

On the other hand I think I know that guy who was coaching that American Football team. He's only known to me as Yank, first time I heard his real name. I played in the IAFL and its generally sectarian free, as he said people from both communities play.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

amallon

Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

tyrone86

Kind of between Crumlin and Dundrod, it's about 10 minutes away from West Belfast

Guillem2

It 10 years it will have changed beyond recognition.
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

thejuice

There was a comment on Slugger O'Toole, which slightly worried me,
QuoteWhy is there a need to force Catholics into Protestant houses?
an area which is predominately Protestant has no need to be 'equalised', why can't it be left alone?
Reminded me of 50's America, dont want any n****rs in my neighbourhood attitude.

However on said website there was comments alluding to similar attacks on the Prodestant communities in Rasharkin and Dunloy............

slow corner back

As far as I know there is no protestant community in Dunloy. There is an orange hall and a church but those who attend both come from outlying areas, farms etc not actually from the village. Believe me Davy Tweed never lived in Dunloy. As for Rasharkin the only major attack i remember in Rasharkin was about 10-15 years ago when about 50 loyalists from Ballymoney swamped an estate in the middle of the night and started smashing windows, cars, people, generally anything they could get there hands on.