Started by Zapatista, April 08, 2008, 08:23:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Irelands athlete's boycott the Olympic Games

Yes
No
Don't Know

Zapatista

Declan

A pharmaceutical sham and themselves and China are well matched. I have little or no interest in it these days as its only a glorious corporate love fest bar the boxers I suppose. If I hear another politician call for a boycott of either the games or the opening ceremony whilst we happily sign trade agreements etc I'll puke. Don't think it's fair to ask athletes to make a stand but if they do fair play to them. Listening to that lad Pat Hickey on the radio this morning made my blood boil. Have had occasion to meet some of them IOC boyos and by god do they know how to charge expenses - Greatest load of chancers I've come across in a while. 

thewobbler

I think tear gas should be used on protesters.

Zapatista

Quote from: thewobbler on April 08, 2008, 08:42:20 AM
I think tear gas should be used on protesters.

Even peaceful protesters?

AZOffaly

Would anyone notice if our athlete's boycotted? Does anyone look to see who finished 8th in the 3rd heat of the 200m?

Uladh

These protesters are sickening my hole at this stage. By all means protest at whatever you feel you need to protest about but once you start interfering with the workings of the olympic games and the tradition of the flame tour then you lose my sympathy.

Irrespective of the validity of awarding the games to Bejing, the olympics does not belong to China. Rather, it belongs to the people of the planet and if everyone with a gripe globally interfered with every major sporting event we'd have mayhem.

thewobbler

Couldn't have put it better myself Uladh.

Declan

QuoteBy all means protest at whatever you feel you need to protest

How would you suggest they protest then Uladh??

QuoteRather, it belongs to the people of the planet

If only that were the case - it belongs to visa/nikon/mastercard/nbc etc and their lapdogs in the IOC.

Zapatista

Quote from: Uladh on April 08, 2008, 10:08:23 AM

These protesters are sickening my hole at this stage. By all means protest at whatever you feel you need to protest about but once you start interfering with the workings of the olympic games and the tradition of the flame tour then you lose my sympathy.

Irrespective of the validity of awarding the games to Bejing, the olympics does not belong to China. Rather, it belongs to the people of the planet and if everyone with a gripe globally interfered with every major sporting event we'd have mayhem.

The point is that the protesters don't see it as irrespective.

Gnevin

Shocking you give the Olympics to a country with China's Human rights record and then are shocked about human rights abuses .  ::)
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Uladh

Quote from: Declan on April 08, 2008, 10:13:05 AM
How would you suggest they protest then Uladh??

Hold up placards, sing songs, whatever. i don't care.

Quote from: Declan on April 08, 2008, 10:13:05 AM
If only that were the case - it belongs to visa/nikon/mastercard/nbc etc and their lapdogs in the IOC.

If you have a problem with the IOC then write a letter. i don't care.

Owenmoresider

Not particularly interested in the whole China/Tibet thing, but I have to concur to an extent with Uladh on the protestors. The carry-on in London was a disgrace and doesn't do their image or objections any good. IMO a lot of it is the usual leftie rent-a-mob getting stuck into their latest 'cause'.

cornafean

An Olympic boycott could end in the same way as did the original Lough Mask Estate boycott campaign in the 1880s - in the absence of all the regulars they'll get a rent-a-crowd from Cavan to make up the numbers ::)
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Square Ball

there was an out cry over the heavy handed approach of the police when they rugby tackled a protester, wonder what would have happened if he had a gun and shot someone?  :o
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Main Street

I think the spirit of the Games took a bit of a nose dive when Ali lit the Bowl in Atlanta and it eventually took the shape of a Supermac.

I don't think there should be a boycott of the Games but for the Tibetans it is their chance to bring their national issue to a global stage.
Fair play to them, they don't have many opportunities and these Games are a gift horse.