Should Irelands athlete's boycott the Olympic Games

Yes
No
Don't Know

Uladh

What's a supermac?
A big chipper in Galway?

his holiness nb

Whatever about the Olympics, its good that the plight of Tibet is now being highlighted.
Once its not ruined by people going to far.

I'd be more worried about what goes on in Tibet than a sporting event.
Ask me holy bollix

AZOffaly

People talk about seperating sport from politics, and especially the Olympics from the Tibet situation, but they seem to forget that a large part of the reason why China wants to host these games is to take their place amongst the leading Nations of the world. Politically as much as in terms of sport. Therefore I think it is correct to draw contrasts between what they are doing in Tibet, and indeed internally, and contrast that with the image they are trying to portray by hosting the games.

Whether you should be jumping out and mugging the flame carrier is contentious, but I can understand what they are thinking.

Bensars

Its a load of balls.

A hell of a lot of people are jumping on the tree hugging bandwagon.

It appears that  to a hell of a lot of people, china has only only had a bad human rights record over the last couple of weeks.

Boycotting will do absolutely no use. It did make much difference when russia invaded afghanistan.

Not that it would happen, as commerical interests far outweigh human rights concerns, but do you honestly think china would say, wait a minute Ireland had decided to boycott the olympic games, lets stop the human rights violations

Uladh

Mugging the flame carrier is  ore than contentious AZ!

The time to be protesting was before Bejing got the games but i am led to believe that those involved felt that highlighting the Tibet issue would be maximised if they did get to host it. It's too late now for considerations on the rights or wrongs about the awarding.

By all means air your grievances but it's pretty plain to me that the message is fast being lost amongst these overt disruptions

his holiness nb

I hear a lot of people say "why didnt they protest when the games were awarded to China?"

Thats easy, nobody would have paid attention. The closer to the Olympics the protests happen, the more coverage they will get, like it or not.

Theres nothing "tree hugger" about being appalled about whats happening in Tibet, and re jumping on the bandwagon, China hasnt hosted a major worldwide event yet, of course the time they are most in the spotlight is the time to shine it in their face and ask questions.

Ask me holy bollix

AZOffaly

Probably, I'm not saying I approve of the tactics, but I understand them. I also wouldn't be surprised if your hypothesis about a bigger impact if China got the games was correct either. What I'm saying is that if the protestors are guilty of hijacking the Olympics for political ends, they are no more guilty than China in their attempts to spread a veneer of respectability over their own internal and external problems. By hosting the games, China hopes they can say, 'See we are a respected member of the international community, no matter what you say about us'.

The games themselves were hijacked for political reasons the day the IOC gave them to China.

AZOffaly

Quote from: his holiness nb on April 08, 2008, 01:28:07 PM
I hear a lot of people say "why didnt they protest when the games were awarded to China?"

Thats easy, nobody would have paid attention. The closer to the Olympics the protests happen, the more coverage they will get, like it or not.

Theres nothing "tree hugger" about being appalled about whats happening in Tibet, and re jumping on the bandwagon, China hasnt hosted a major worldwide event yet, of course the time they are most in the spotlight is the time to shine it in their face and ask questions.

Go away outta that. You're biased. Look at your avatar.

Main Street

Zapatista

Uldah, do you think it was wrong for some to protest against Nazi Germany being awarded the Games?

Quote from: Uladh on April 08, 2008, 01:20:25 PM
Mugging the flame carrier is  ore than contentious AZ!

Talk about not seeing the forest for all the trees.

his holiness nb

Ask me holy bollix

Main Street

Quote from: Uladh on April 08, 2008, 01:20:25 PM
The time to be protesting was before Bejing got the games but i am led to believe that those involved felt that highlighting the Tibet issue would be maximised if they did get to host it. It's too late now for considerations on the rights or wrongs about the awarding.

By all means air your grievances but it's pretty plain to me that the message is fast being lost amongst these overt disruptions
The opportunity is now, perfect timing, starting with the protests in Tibet at the time when the Games were entering public conciousness.
The message is being carried by the world wide media coverage given to the occupation of Tibet.

The point is publicity, highlighting the forgotten occupation, in that it is very successful

johnneycool

Quote from: Bensars on April 08, 2008, 01:19:43 PM
Its a load of balls.

A hell of a lot of people are jumping on the tree hugging bandwagon.

It appears that  to a hell of a lot of people, china has only only had a bad human rights record over the last couple of weeks.

Boycotting will do absolutely no use. It did make much difference when russia invaded afghanistan.

Not that it would happen, as commerical interests far outweigh human rights concerns, but do you honestly think china would say, wait a minute Ireland had decided to boycott the olympic games, lets stop the human rights violations

The bullshit concerns some people are showing for Tibet is just superficial. It's all well and good Gordon Brown and other heads of state 'bringing up' human rights abuses when in talks with China, but you can be rest assured that there'll be no diplomatic or economic embargos but in place as he who pays the piper calls the tune.

Hands up if those who are against China's occupation of Tibet are going to stop buying chinese goods in protest?

Now if only Tibet had a bit of oil, they'd be 'liberated' in quick time!!

Zapatista

You would think by some of the posters that Tibet has only come into question in the last few weeks.

his holiness nb

Quote from: Zapatista on April 08, 2008, 01:43:00 PM
You would think by some of the posters that Tibet has only come into question in the last few weeks.

Its been know about for many many years Zaptista but its hardly going to be discussed constantly since the occupation!
But surely you arent suprised that the recent developments in Tibet, tied in with the build up to Chinas first major worldwide event has people talking about it again?

Also it will serve to educate the younger people who arent aware of Tibets history as to the long running injustice the Tibetans are enduring.

I wonder how some here would react if a Tibetan giving out about Britains occupation of the North was called a "tree hugger" by another Tibetan?

Ask me holy bollix