Belfast marathon

Started by Baile an tuaigh, April 02, 2008, 11:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile an tuaigh

Ran a personal best yesterday in a south side of Chicago half marathon. 1 hour 39 minutes. Will do Belfast again next year if everything goes according to plan. Although its not the easiest of courses especially with all the relay teams.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Puckoon on May 03, 2010, 05:04:27 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on May 03, 2010, 05:00:42 PM
My mate just finished it  - 6 hrs give or take a few seconds. I said congratulations but did he walk it?
I have never ran one but doing the math his average speed was 4.3 mph.  The average young male walks at 3.8mph.

Is 6 hours a decent time or am I being a dung bag?

Hard to say really - If you or I tried to do it right now with no training - it'd be a 6 hour event.

If he was training, its not a good time at all. My half marathon time during training is between 1hr 52- 2 hr 08. Right now It'd take me at least 3 hours.
Define "no training"?
I'd say anyone without training wouldn't have a hope of finishing it, unless they camped over night.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Puckoon

Umm If you were not training for a long distance run. I am working off the assumption for myself. I reckon I could push out 4-5 x 4 mile runs with a bit of walking/hobbling to make up the rest in around 6 hours. Maybe 7.

I just think 6 hours to complete after training is a bit much.

pintsofguinness

You'd have to be fairly fit already if you could run 16-20 mile puck.  To me "no training" would be someone who's only exercise would be moving between the couch and the fridge.

I say fair fucks to anyone that finishes it at all.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Puckoon

Absolutely fair fucks to them. I was just responding out loud to icemans question.

Orior

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 03, 2010, 07:38:01 PM
Did the whole lot, took me around 5 hours, Mrs BC did it quicker.  I had a stalker, he knows who he is, popped up 4 times during the run.  Enjoyed it very much apart from 18-21 miles.  I didn't hit the wall, the wall beat me up for 3 1/2 miles.  Pure pain.  Leaving Belfast now shortly for the short trip to Cork.   Every single mile is beatinga pulse through my knees and ankles.  Well done to all who did it  ;D, shame on the people scoring cheap political plugs on the Falls >:(!

Well done BC - I tried my best to disrupt you, but you battled on bravely for a face saving time of 5 hours 11 mins - half an hour quicker than Mrs Orior.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

imtommygunn

Did the 1st leg in ~38 minutes. Tough enough.

Anyone see the state of Maria McCambridge at the end? Gees she was in a bad way.

Results are up on http://www.niathletics.org/filestore/default.asp?itemId=500

No-one does "no training" for a marathon. Anyone who says that is usually telling porkies...

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Orior on May 03, 2010, 09:36:34 PM
Did the whole lot, took me around 5 hours, Mrs BC did it quicker.  I had a stalker, he knows who he is, popped up 4 times during the run.  Enjoyed it very much apart from 18-21 miles.  I didn't hit the wall, the wall beat me up for 3 1/2 miles.  Pure pain.  Leaving Belfast now shortly for the short trip to Cork.   Every single mile is beatinga pulse through my knees and ankles.  Well done to all who did it  ;D, shame on the people scoring cheap political plugs on the Falls >:(!

Well done BC - I tried my best to disrupt you, but you battled on bravely for a face saving time of 5 hours 11 mins - half an hour quicker than Mrs Orior.

You're support all through was very welcome, if not a small bit freaky :P. How is Mrs Orior? Mrs BC is adamant that her time isn't right. She reckons she beat me by more!  It was mad as every few miles there were people shouting my name apart from you, I don't know who most of them were!

BenDover

shame on the people scoring cheap political plugs on the Falls >:(!

Passed these people myself and was thinking wtf are they doing safer of lining that stretch of road with 50 dummies  ;)

David McKeown

I did that leg myself although I was pants at it, I would like to say it was because of the lucozade I threw up about two miles in but more its because I am a fat lazy git.  Thats my first time on that leg and whilst the run itself is easy enough the lack of a crowd I found made it much harder to stay running.  I don't remember being as sore after a leg either but again thats my own lack of training.  Have to say though when I got to the water station at the start of the Dargan road I thought it was shambolic that they were out of both water and energy drinks and I wasnt overally late getting there
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

haranguerer

Quote from: BenDover on May 04, 2010, 09:05:31 AM

Passed these people myself and was thinking wtf are they doing safer of lining that stretch of road with 50 dummies  ;)

What were they at?

Orior

Quote from: David McKeown on May 04, 2010, 10:36:35 AM
I did that leg myself although I was pants at it, I would like to say it was because of the lucozade I threw up about two miles in but more its because I am a fat lazy git.  Thats my first time on that leg and whilst the run itself is easy enough the lack of a crowd I found made it much harder to stay running.  I don't remember being as sore after a leg either but again thats my own lack of training.  Have to say though when I got to the water station at the start of the Dargan road I thought it was shambolic that they were out of both water and energy drinks and I wasnt overally late getting there

You must have been finishing the same time as Mrs Orior. Shame on your team!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

David McKeown

Quote from: Orior on May 04, 2010, 11:20:19 AM
Quote from: David McKeown on May 04, 2010, 10:36:35 AM

You must have been finishing the same time as Mrs Orior. Shame on your team!

Oh the team was fine (just over 4 hours) I was just shit
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

BenDover

Quote from: haranguerer on May 04, 2010, 11:16:31 AM

What were they at?

Lined the road holding placards with political statements on them

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: BenDover on May 04, 2010, 01:17:46 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on May 04, 2010, 11:16:31 AM

What were they at?

Lined the road holding placards with political statements on them

Would have suited them better to clap their hands and cheer people on than what they were at.  Some places things like this are appropriate, this was not one of them.