Belfast marathon

Started by Baile an tuaigh, April 02, 2008, 11:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Quote from: Minder on May 02, 2010, 08:42:16 PM
Quote from: Orior on May 02, 2010, 08:19:38 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 01, 2010, 10:17:58 PM
Mrs BC and myself are doing it, should be interesting as I was never the best at doing laps.  Have a dodgy hamstring at the minute so will be taking it very handy.  Are you doing it Orior?

No, but i'll be there are the start. Mrs Orior doing it. I reckon she will finish around 2pm on Tuesday.

Hopefully!

This Tuesday ?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

LeoMc

Quote from: ONeill on May 02, 2010, 11:48:51 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 02, 2010, 11:11:21 AM
Quote from: ONeill on May 02, 2010, 09:54:17 AM
Thought about it. As close as it got.

Thinking of Lisburn 16th June.
10k?

Tis. Did it last year in an abysmal 56 mins. Would be happy this year to do one sub-50 and then next year win the New York marathon, or come in the top 3.

Considering that one myself though it is within 4 days of the Dromore 10K. Haven't done Lisburn before but I looking at the route is seems flatter than Dromore.

ONeill

It's a bit boring, long straight roads. Didn't think it was all that hilly. Serious amount of runners. The first half mile is nearly walking speed.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Gran runs 27 consecutive marathons

A 63-year-old grandmother is set to enter the record books after completing an astonishing 27 marathons in as many days.

Rosie Swale Pope MBE started her epic journey on Easter Monday before finishing in her home town of Tenby in Wales.

She had originally intended to stop after her 26th run in Llanelli but as a way of thanking her legions of supporters she decided to put in a 'lap of honour' - or to put it another way, a 27th marathon.

"It was fantastic. I crossed the finish line in Tudor Square, in Tenby, and it was like a dream," said a jubilant Mrs Swale Pope.

She added: "I think the main thing is to show people that they should reach out to do what they want to do.

"Maybe you can't always get there but you should always reach out.

"Although I am actually 63 doing something like this makes me feel as though I am really 36."

Mrs Swale Pope's journey, which took in places such as Bristol, London, Tunbridge Wells and Bury St Edmonds, raised money that will be donated to the Ty Hafan children's hospice in Cardiff and Helen & Douglas House in Oxford.

Once her feat is officially confirmed, she will become the first woman to complete so many back-to-back marathons.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Overthebar!

did the first 6 mile leg after being out last night, it was not an enjoyable experience. road running is not for me.shins are burning
to be able to still run at 63 is some achievement!

haranguerer

Quote from: ONeill on May 03, 2010, 02:05:31 PM
It's a bit boring, long straight roads. Didn't think it was all that hilly. Serious amount of runners. The first half mile is nearly walking speed.

56 min? The whole 10k was walking speed from the sound of it  :P  :D

Dubh driocht

Well done to the organisers- a much better show this year.
First, stopping the traffic- at last - makes life so much easier
Second- providing energy drinks ( powerade), vaseline and seemed like more water/toilet points
Third- more music- especially along Dargan road, where there are very few spectators
All this made the whole thing more enjoyable - Belfast shows it's best face once a year - pity the twelfth couldn't be like this !
Could still do with more clear mile markers but fair play to all the volunteers.Saw a lot of Tyrone shorts under pressure - they were struggling compared to the sleek Down ones

The Iceman

My mate just finished it  - 6 hrs give or take a few seconds. I said congratulations but did he walk it?
I have never ran one but doing the math his average speed was 4.3 mph.  The average young male walks at 3.8mph.

Is 6 hours a decent time or am I being a dung bag?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Puckoon

Quote from: The Iceman on May 03, 2010, 05:00:42 PM
My mate just finished it  - 6 hrs give or take a few seconds. I said congratulations but did he walk it?
I have never ran one but doing the math his average speed was 4.3 mph.  The average young male walks at 3.8mph.

Hard to say really - If you or I tried to do it right now with no training - it'd be a 6 hour event.

If he was training, its not a good time at all. My half marathon time during training is between 1hr 52- 2 hr 08. Right now It'd take me at least 3 hours.

The Iceman

Quote from: Puckoon on May 03, 2010, 05:04:27 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on May 03, 2010, 05:00:42 PM

Hard to say really - If you or I tried to do it right now with no training - it'd be a 6 hour event.

If he was training, its not a good time at all. My half marathon time during training is between 1hr 52- 2 hr 08. Right now It'd take me at least 3 hours.

My thoughts exactly - this boy has been training a good bit of late.  Of course not a good thing to point out on his FB but I live and learn.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

lurganblue

Did the 4th section today and must say I really enjoyed it despite doing no training for it. I would love to do the whole thing

The Iceman

4th leg is a nice run though very quiet compared to other ones 9apart from finish line).
Good work

Did the relay 4 times back in the day.  Always enjoyed it.
Think i'm still owed some sponsorship money too!!!

lurganblue

Yeah it was pretty flat but lacked crowd at times. Hard to see some people with red numbers on really starting to struggle at that stage. Did it in about 40 mins

brokencrossbar1

Did the whole lot, took me around 5 hours, Mrs BC did it quicker.  I had a stalker, he knows who he is, popped up 4 times during the run.  Enjoyed it very much apart from 18-21 miles.  I didn't hit the wall, the wall beat me up for 3 1/2 miles.  Pure pain.  Leaving Belfast now shortly for the short trip to Cork.   Every single mile is beatinga pulse through my knees and ankles.  Well done to all who did it  ;D, shame on the people scoring cheap political plugs on the Falls >:(!

Minder

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 03, 2010, 07:38:01 PM
Did the whole lot, took me around 5 hours, Mrs BC did it quicker.  I had a stalker, he knows who he is, popped up 4 times during the run.  Enjoyed it very much apart from 18-21 miles.  I didn't hit the wall, the wall beat me up for 3 1/2 miles.  Pure pain.  Leaving Belfast now shortly for the short trip to Cork.   Every single mile is beatinga pulse through my knees and ankles.  Well done to all who did it  ;D, shame on the people scoring cheap political plugs on the Falls >:(!

Saw something about them intending to do that the other day, the mind boggles.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"