Belfast marathon

Started by Baile an tuaigh, April 02, 2008, 11:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulick

Quote from: BenDover on May 04, 2010, 01:17:46 PM
Lined the road holding placards with political statements on them

That's debatable. The protest was about conditions in Maghaberry jail. Legitimate form of protest IMO.

ardal

Haven't read this full thread, but some pointers if not already covered:

If you're doing the full marathon, don't wear a football jersey, buy a decent running vest as the jersey will kill you (friction burns, sweat weight etc).

Stick some plasters on your nipples; even with the vest you can get friction burns on the nips, and feck is it painful.

Stick to your preset mile mark times even if this means letting people scoot past you at the start, you'll get them back later.

Goodluck tomorrow

The Iceman

I think you could walk the marathon and jog now and again and finish it in 6 hours without training.
If I was training and took it seriously I would want to finish the whole thing in less than 4 and a half hours.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: ardal on May 04, 2010, 02:14:50 PM

Stick some plasters on your nipples; even with the vest you can get friction burns on the nips, and feck is it painful.

Too little too late :'(

lurganblue

The team finished in about 4.15. Happy with that as I thought it would have been quite a bit slower!

After talking to others I must have had the most boring leg by far!!!

ONeill

You can type in your surname or number and watch yerself on video reaching the finish line as well as photos.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

saffron sam2

A boy in work from Ladybrook ran the marathon as a pacer. He had a balloon tied to him that said 3 hours. If you stayed ahead of him, you were guaranteed to finish in under three hours. He does the same in other marathons. Except that sometimes he has to carry a sign saying 3 hours.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

imtommygunn

A vote has been taken not to move the marathon to sunday...

100 quid plus sports gears for those pacers.

WeeDonns

QuoteA vote has been taken not to move the marathon to sunday...

So it would save a fortune of money, and would suit a hell of alot of people having the monday to recover, but they voted against it? I wonder why..... ::)

Orior

Lets be clear about this.

- It is run on a Bank Holiday.
- It starts at 9am.
- By 11am, the majority of the field are on the Antrim Road and heading down to the sea shore
- After that, its through the docks which are empty.

How can anyone complain that that spoils their day?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

haranguerer

They should be forced to have it on a Sunday. Its on a sunday everywhere else. Its time they copped themselves on and moved into modern society. Its us as taxpayers who are paying out sums vastly above what is necessary due to their intransigence.

haranguerer

Orior - check the extra costs of having it on a bank hol, esp in reference to policing: thats the issue.

Rois

I have to admit - the only reason I want it on the Sunday is not because I am a participant, but I like to celebrate with those who have taken part and hate that I have to work the next day after mucho daytime drinks. 

lurganblue

I'm almost definately signing up to do the Dublin marathon this year. Did any of you guys use a training plan leading up to the big day? Any advice on a good week by week plan?