Bertie to Resign

Started by Barney, April 02, 2008, 10:31:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

Bertie imo is jumping before the economy collapses all around him. He is an extremely shrewd individual. A terribly popular figure, I feel that history will not be too kind on him if the economy goes into meltdown and all we are left with is a country littered with one off bungalows and shoddy housing estates and multi millionaire building developers( ie robber barons). No real infrastructure investment of note left as a legacy.

Am I the only one who thinks Cowen is an  overrated parish pump politician. Feel Lenihan is in with a real shout if he can get the east coast TDs behind him and his auntie will help him also.

With regards to the Peace Process I am glad to see Albert Reynolds get the credit he deserves and I also feel that history will be less fawning on Bertie in this regard.

Rav67

Always thought of him as a fantastic leader, a great man of the people who most folk could see themselves enjoying a few pints with.  Comparisons with CJH are very unfair, he came across as an ignorant arrogant bollix and the extent of his thieving in hard times for Ireland was ridiculous.

Donagh

That smarmy bollix Martin is doing a some self promotion job on the airwaves this evening. I hope Biffo smacks him onto the backbenches.

Lar Naparka

QuoteLar I am very disappointed you used that comparison. The Birmingham 6 where not guilty of anything.
Very true. Like I said, this case stopped far short of that.
Just bear in mind that (British) public opinion would not have supported your second sentence. As long as there is any possibility of error, it should not be left to public opinion to decide the guilt or innocence of anyone.
The greater the perceived threat to the stability of the state and its institutions the greater is the need to play things by the book.
There are posters on this board, and I don't doubt their sincerity, who feel Bertie is not guilty. That's a case of free speech and freedom opinion in action.
Many people may not agree with my opinion on this case but I do agree that they have a right to express theirs.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

AZOffaly

Maybe Cowen will make the Dáil bar smoke friendly again, and make Martin use it as his office :D

stiffler

I think with Paisley and Ahern both stepping aside in the upcoming weeks, now is the perfect time to intergrate the Dail with the Assembly.

GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Louth Exile

Quote from: Rav67 on April 02, 2008, 05:52:41 PM
Comparisons with CJH are very unfair, he came across as an ignorant arrogant bollix and the extent of his thieving in hard times for Ireland was ridiculous.

Comparisons are not unfair, the apprentice and the master have several parallels in their political career. The apprentice turned out to be a far more successfull politician, survived and ruled longer and didn't divide the FF with several heaves against him. Yet, there are are many similarities, not least extravagant pay increases at a time when the HSE had a recruitment freeze (charve shirts indeed!)

Remember it was after CJH left power that the really damage was done to his legacy, it still remains to be seen if Bertie will suffer the same fate.
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Gnevin

Quote from: stiffler on April 02, 2008, 06:01:49 PM
I think with Paisley and Ahern both stepping aside in the upcoming weeks, now is the perfect time to intergrate the Dail with the Assembly.

Or the Assembly with the Parliament of France  ::)
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Pangurban

Once again an Irish leader has been hounded from office, by a voracious press which is owned,managed and controlled by foreign interests. Aided and abetted by a snivelling, mean spirited permament opposition, who long ago abandoned any pretence of honesty or justice in their futile search for power. Enda Kenny nasty little statement today revealed the shallowness of his personality, and the narrowness of his intellect. Bertie was right to go, and he did so with dignity. When the ethics of today are applied to the past, no one could pass the test. The tragedy is in our increasingly hypocritical country only certain people are required to take that test. Garret Fitzgeralds unpaid debts are ignored, after all he is one of the elected. Who governs Ireland, certainly not the ordinary decent tax-paying irish citizens, if they did Bertie would still be in power, as very few really believe he was corrupt. Whose agenda is being served by the hounding of this basically decent Man, who has served his country well. Time you all started asking the real questions, and not the ones that vested interests are provoking.

Aaron Boone

When it comes to revisionst history, Bertie's going to do ok - i.e the man who was at the helm of the Celtic Tiger etc.

Rossfan

Quote from: Pangurban on April 02, 2008, 09:14:07 PM
the hounding of this basically decent Man, who has served his country well.

Do you not mean a cowardly hoor who sent a Secretary to attempt to back up an untrue version of events and allowed her to be destroyed in the Witness Box.
Jasus Pangur but you're either a WUM or an awful innocent buckeen altogether.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

The Real Laoislad

Sorry to see him go,I thought he was a great leader and he done a awful lot for this wee island of ours
Hope Cowen gets top job kow,not that im a huge fan or anything in fact i have no opinion of Cowen to be honest,but anything would be better than Enda Kenny winning a general election if one is held,Feck i can't stand Kenny
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ExiledGael

Know little of Enda Kenny but his calls today for an immediate general election to be called looked pathetic.

Louth Exile

Quote from: Rossfan on April 02, 2008, 10:38:51 PM

Do you not mean a cowardly hoor who sent a Secretary to attempt to back up an untrue version of events and allowed her to be destroyed in the Witness Box.

After that little rant I thought that maybe he was Sen Eoghan Harris!
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Pangurban

Quote from: Rossfan on April 02, 2008, 10:38:51 PM

Bertie did not send his secretary anywhere, the tribunal supenoed her to appear before them, refusal to do so would could have landed her with a heavy fine or imprisonment. The bullying and intimidation of her by the brave, highly paid lawyers, was disgraceful and a stain on the country. I think you are the naive, innocent abroad, open your eyes and engage your brain, you will be soon be shocked out of your complacent innocence. If that sounds offensive,im sorry, its not meant to be. I respect your opinion, but cant help angry when propagandist nonsense is presented as fact