Total Members Voted: 49

Orior

Quote from: Minder on February 19, 2008, 09:22:52 PM
Can you imagine getting caught in the bottom of a ruck against them....... :o

Yeah, especially if you're the one with the hard on  :o
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Aerlik

Don't go dropping the soap in the shower after the game either :-[
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Puckoon

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Puckoon on February 19, 2008, 11:37:15 PM
Soap on a rope only allowed.

Not for some of these boys, by the sounds of things they'd be throwing the soap on the ground.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Solomon Kane

saffron sam2

Quote from: Evil Genius on February 19, 2008, 10:07:38 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on February 19, 2008, 09:34:56 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on February 19, 2008, 09:19:04 PM
Northern Ireland's only gay rugby team is promoting a form of sporting apartheid, Sports Minister Edwin Poots has claimed.

Mr Poots said he could not understand the motivation behind the founding of the Belfast-based Ulster Titans.

"I just cannot fathom why people see the necessity to develop an apartheid in sport," he said.

However, one of the team's founders, Declan Lavery, said everyone was welcome to join the club.

"When the club was set up it welcomed members regardless of their age, creed, religion, sexual orientation or whatever, and that's how it continues," Mr Lavery said.

"Yes, it was primarily something established as a vehicle for gay people but that doesn't mean somebody who isn't gay can't join, everyone is welcome."

However, Mr Poots said: "It would be unacceptable to produce an all-black rugby team or an all-white team or an all-Chinese team.

"To me it's equally unacceptable to produce an all-homosexual rugby team and I find it remarkable that people who talk so much about inclusivity and about having an equal role in society would then go down the route of exclusion."

Sourced BBCi: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7253965.stm

I can see Poot's point, would it be acceptable to have an all-black or all-white team? So why would a gay team be more acceptable?

That said, I don't really think that this is Poot's real reason.

Someone should tell Mick Boyd and the owcers.

Indeed:

IFA strengthens Chinese links
Thursday 4 March 2004

The Irish Football Association's Football For All Campaign, which aims to make the sport of football in Northern Ireland more inclusive, is reaching out and developing closer ties with the local Chinese community.

Significant backing
UEFA is giving significant financial backing to the Football for All campaign, which is focusing on issues such as sectarianism, racism, and the participation of women and people with special needs in football.

Free tickets
The Northern Ireland Chinese Football Association received free tickets to Northern Ireland's recent friendly international fixture against Norway at Windsor Park, Belfast and were invited to meet the Northern Ireland team.

Special guests
IFA community relations officer Michael Boyd said: "The Northern Ireland Chinese Football Association team recently beat their Republic of Ireland counterparts 1-0, with Stanley Chan from Belfast scoring the winner for the Northern Ireland team. It was then suggested to me by the Northern Ireland supporters to invite the team to the Norway game as special guests of the Football For All project and introduce them to the crowd at half time. The Northern Ireland fans have really taken the team to their hearts."

Everyone welcome
Phil Smyth, chairman of the Amalgamation of Northern Ireland Supporters Clubs, added: "At a time when racist attacks have been on the increase in Northern Ireland, we want to make sure that people know the Northern Ireland fans welcome all people to Northern Ireland games."
http://www.uefa.com/news/newsid=151257,printer.htmx

"Stan Chan,
He's our Boy,
If he can't do it
No-one will"
(With due apologies to The Simpsons)

©uefa.com 1998-2008. All rights reserved.

And that is my point - Mr Poots has no logical argument here. An all-Chinese team is rightly celebrated, yet he would claim such a team is inappropriate. Why has he not been issuing statements calling for the dispanding of the NI Chinese soccer team? Smacks a bit of homophobia I think.

I have been disappointed in the number of people on this thread agreeing with Pootsie - to me it is indicative of a general homophobia in society. Most hetrosexuals work on the mistaken assumption that gays and lesbians find them attractive and are scared that they will be propositioned / attacked by a gay. Not the case folks.

What would have been a more interesting question for this thread would be - "If the Ulster Titans* were a man short would you be prepared to step into the breech?"

I am happy enough in my ugliness and would have no problem answering yes to this question, provided I could play full back. This is because I feel it would be my best position and not because I would want to keep all the rugger buggers in front of me.

* Is Titans a corruption of a wee bit of Ulster Scots?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Minder

Quote from: saffron sam2 on February 20, 2008, 08:24:41 AM
Quote from: Evil Genius on February 19, 2008, 10:07:38 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on February 19, 2008, 09:34:56 PM
Northern Ireland's only gay rugby team is promoting a form of sporting apartheid, Sports Minister Edwin Poots has claimed.

Mr Poots said he could not understand the motivation behind the founding of the Belfast-based Ulster Titans.

"I just cannot fathom why people see the necessity to develop an apartheid in sport," he said.

However, one of the team's founders, Declan Lavery, said everyone was welcome to join the club.

"When the club was set up it welcomed members regardless of their age, creed, religion, sexual orientation or whatever, and that's how it continues," Mr Lavery said.

"Yes, it was primarily something established as a vehicle for gay people but that doesn't mean somebody who isn't gay can't join, everyone is welcome."

However, Mr Poots said: "It would be unacceptable to produce an all-black rugby team or an all-white team or an all-Chinese team.

"To me it's equally unacceptable to produce an all-homosexual rugby team and I find it remarkable that people who talk so much about inclusivity and about having an equal role in society would then go down the route of exclusion."

I can see Poot's point, would it be acceptable to have an all-black or all-white team? So why would a gay team be more acceptable?

Someone should tell Mick Boyd and the owcers.

Indeed:

IFA strengthens Chinese links
Thursday 4 March 2004

The Irish Football Association's Football For All Campaign, which aims to make the sport of football in Northern Ireland more inclusive, is reaching out and developing closer ties with the local Chinese community.

Significant backing
UEFA is giving significant financial backing to the Football for All campaign, which is focusing on issues such as sectarianism, racism, and the participation of women and people with special needs in football.

Free tickets
The Northern Ireland Chinese Football Association received free tickets to Northern Ireland's recent friendly international fixture against Norway at Windsor Park, Belfast and were invited to meet the Northern Ireland team.

Special guests
IFA community relations officer Michael Boyd said: "The Northern Ireland Chinese Football Association team recently beat their Republic of Ireland counterparts 1-0, with Stanley Chan from Belfast scoring the winner for the Northern Ireland team. It was then suggested to me by the Northern Ireland supporters to invite the team to the Norway game as special guests of the Football For All project and introduce them to the crowd at half time. The Northern Ireland fans have really taken the team to their hearts."

Everyone welcome
Phil Smyth, chairman of the Amalgamation of Northern Ireland Supporters Clubs, added: "At a time when racist attacks have been on the increase in Northern Ireland, we want to make sure that people know the Northern Ireland fans welcome all people to Northern Ireland games."
http://www.uefa.com/news/newsid=151257,printer.htmx

"Stan Chan,
He's our Boy,
If he can't do it
No-one will"
(With due apologies to The Simpsons)

©uefa.com 1998-2008. All rights reserved.

And that is my point - Mr Poots has no logical argument here. An all-Chinese team is rightly celebrated, yet he would claim such a team is inappropriate. Why has he not been issuing statements calling for the dispanding of the NI Chinese soccer team? Smacks a bit of homophobia I think.

I have been disappointed in the number of people on this thread agreeing with Pootsie - to me it is indicative of a general homophobia in society. Most hetrosexuals work on the mistaken assumption that gays and lesbians find them attractive and are scared that they will be propositioned / attacked by a gay. Not the case folks.

What would have been a more interesting question for this thread would be - "If the Ulster Titans* were a man short would you be prepared to step into the breech?"

I am happy enough in my ugliness and would have no problem answering yes to this question, provided I could play full back. This is because I feel it would be my best position and not because I would want to keep all the rugger buggers in front of me.

* Is Titans a corruption of a wee bit of Ulster Scots?

Stop.......Grammar time.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Lads, some of you are missing the point again and going down the usual bumboy jokes route.

The DUP are, by their very nature and existence, fascist bigots - anyone not white, 'Christian' and British folk in their outlook, lifestyle and beliefs is evil.  It just so happens this gay rugby team are getting it in the neck today.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

EC Unique

his holiness nb

I wonder will Mr Poots be objecting to the Chinese soccer teams participation in the world cup qualifiers?

Eegit.

The worst thing is, the guy on the Rugby team clearly said its not just for gay people, everyone is welcome, so he doesnt even have a valid point.

Good to see the efforts to bring the chinese guys into the fold at the NI game. From what I hear, they get a lot of racist abuse in certain areas up North, werent one group putting up posters giving out about "yellow people" coming here a year or so back? Cant remember who it was, or which "side" before we get into a "you lot are more racist that our lot debate.
Ask me holy bollix

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

red hander

The DUP weren't too bothered about apartheid when it was happening in South Africa ... sure didn't Eric 'IQ of 6' Smyth famously describe Nelson Mandela as a "black Provo"

Evil Genius

Quote from: his holiness nb on February 20, 2008, 10:00:48 AM
Good to see the efforts to bring the chinese guys into the fold at the NI game. From what I hear, they get a lot of racist abuse in certain areas up North, werent one group putting up posters giving out about "yellow people" coming here a year or so back? Cant remember who it was, or which "side" before we get into a "you lot are more racist that our lot debate.

Tbh, whilst there is a great degree of racism in NI generally, soccer can only do what it can do. As such, I am proud that they not only support and actively encourage participation between the two "main" communities in NI, but they also do a hell of a lot of work with e.g. disabled and homeless football, women and girls, immigrant groups and cross-border games etc, as well as the Chinese team, which latter I know has been especially well received by NI's Chinese community.

http://www.irishfa.com/grassroots/womens-development/
http://www.irishfa.com/grassroots/disability-football/
http://www.irishfa.com/grassroots/football-for-all/
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Sky Blue

If you can have a womans rugby team, why not a gay one? Does the govt at Stormont fund the team? Is that what the minister is on about?