Yes
15 (30.6%)
No
27 (55.1%)
I'm an undecided fool
7 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

ziggysego

Northern Ireland's only gay rugby team is promoting a form of sporting apartheid, Sports Minister Edwin Poots has claimed.

Mr Poots said he could not understand the motivation behind the founding of the Belfast-based Ulster Titans.

"I just cannot fathom why people see the necessity to develop an apartheid in sport," he said.

However, one of the team's founders, Declan Lavery, said everyone was welcome to join the club.

"When the club was set up it welcomed members regardless of their age, creed, religion, sexual orientation or whatever, and that's how it continues," Mr Lavery said.

"Yes, it was primarily something established as a vehicle for gay people but that doesn't mean somebody who isn't gay can't join, everyone is welcome."

However, Mr Poots said: "It would be unacceptable to produce an all-black rugby team or an all-white team or an all-Chinese team.

"To me it's equally unacceptable to produce an all-homosexual rugby team and I find it remarkable that people who talk so much about inclusivity and about having an equal role in society would then go down the route of exclusion."

Sourced BBCi: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7253965.stm

I can see Poot's point, would it be acceptable to have an all-black or all-white team? So why would a gay team be more acceptable?

That said, I don't really think that this is Poot's real reason.
Testing Accessibility

Minder

Can you imagine getting caught in the bottom of a ruck against them....... :o
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

pintsofguinness

Quote"When the club was set up it welcomed members regardless of their age, creed, religion, sexual orientation or whatever, and that's how it continues," Mr Lavery said.

"Yes, it was primarily something established as a vehicle for gay people but that doesn't mean somebody who isn't gay can't join, everyone is welcome."

I suppose that's fair enough.

It seems a little strange though is it any different than a Gay bar?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

saffron sam2

Quote from: ziggysego on February 19, 2008, 09:19:04 PM
Northern Ireland's only gay rugby team is promoting a form of sporting apartheid, Sports Minister Edwin Poots has claimed.

Mr Poots said he could not understand the motivation behind the founding of the Belfast-based Ulster Titans.

"I just cannot fathom why people see the necessity to develop an apartheid in sport," he said.

However, one of the team's founders, Declan Lavery, said everyone was welcome to join the club.

"When the club was set up it welcomed members regardless of their age, creed, religion, sexual orientation or whatever, and that's how it continues," Mr Lavery said.

However, Mr Poots said: "It would be unacceptable to produce an all-black rugby team or an all-white team or an all-Chinese team.

"To me it's equally unacceptable to produce an all-homosexual rugby team and I find it remarkable that people who talk so much about inclusivity and about having an equal role in society would then go down the route of exclusion."

I can see Poot's point, would it be acceptable to have an all-black or all-white team? So why would a gay team be more acceptable?

Someone should tell Mick Boyd and the owcers.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

J70

So I guess in Mr Poots mind gay people are as much a part of decent everyday society as white christian males and so should have no need to found what is basically a form of support group?

Hurler on the Bitch

Down with this sort of thing! Careful now. It think it would be ridiculous to stoop to having some wise cracks but WTF? .....  I wonder how many of the team are familiar with the 'prop forward position' ... or have ever experienced 'a quick spurt up the blind side' .... TO BE CONTINUED....

Aristotle Flynn

He has a point and he's entitled to his opinion. The spokeman says non gays are allowed to join but you would have to ask how many would want to?
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

Evil Genius

Quote from: saffron sam2 on February 19, 2008, 09:34:56 PM

Someone should tell Mick Boyd and the owcers.

Indeed:

IFA strengthens Chinese links
Thursday 4 March 2004

The Irish Football Association's Football For All Campaign, which aims to make the sport of football in Northern Ireland more inclusive, is reaching out and developing closer ties with the local Chinese community.

Significant backing
UEFA is giving significant financial backing to the Football for All campaign, which is focusing on issues such as sectarianism, racism, and the participation of women and people with special needs in football.

Free tickets
The Northern Ireland Chinese Football Association received free tickets to Northern Ireland's recent friendly international fixture against Norway at Windsor Park, Belfast and were invited to meet the Northern Ireland team.

Special guests
IFA community relations officer Michael Boyd said: "The Northern Ireland Chinese Football Association team recently beat their Republic of Ireland counterparts 1-0, with Stanley Chan from Belfast scoring the winner for the Northern Ireland team. It was then suggested to me by the Northern Ireland supporters to invite the team to the Norway game as special guests of the Football For All project and introduce them to the crowd at half time. The Northern Ireland fans have really taken the team to their hearts."

Everyone welcome
Phil Smyth, chairman of the Amalgamation of Northern Ireland Supporters Clubs, added: "At a time when racist attacks have been on the increase in Northern Ireland, we want to make sure that people know the Northern Ireland fans welcome all people to Northern Ireland games."
http://www.uefa.com/news/newsid=151257,printer.htmx

"Stan Chan,
He's our Boy,
If he can't do it
No-one will"
(With due apologies to The Simpsons)

©uefa.com 1998-2008. All rights reserved.

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Hurler on the Bitch

This guy Poots really is getting my goat lately. I mean, what harm are they doing? Keeps them off the streets and leaves more rampant fanny for the likes of me to chase. Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Our Lord when he was on the cross come out as being gay? I may be mistaken there but he cried out something in Hebrew about it. Also, Jesus was also labelled as a terrorist on the cross - when they put a sign saying INLA at the top of the cross -  so a gay Jewish Irish freedom fighter, who the DUP all love should be a good example for all of us!!!  

Minder

check out the ad at bottom of page! :o.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

mikerob

However, Mr Poots said: "It would be unacceptable to produce an all-black rugby team...

Errr.... Edwin.... www.allblacks.com   ?    ;)

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Solomon Kane

Rugby in general always struck me as gay.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Puckoon

One of the boys that plays in our sunday league over here is gay, and hes the best fecking player in the league by a country mile. He'd tear the fermanagh and western apart.

Anyways fair play to these boyos, the womens rugby teams have been doing it for years.