Armagh V Cavan

Started by Travis T O Justice, February 01, 2008, 02:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Travis T O Justice

Fills me with quite a bit of confidence - more so in the full forward line, great to see McDonnell and Clarke back (should be interesting to see how rusty they might be).  Does anyone know what the story is with Andy Mallon - injured??

For his first league game in charge of the Orchard County, new manager Peter McDonnell has called up a raft of house hold names after an indifferent Dr. McKenna Cup campaign.

Captain Paul McGrane makes his first start of the season in midfield but it is in the full forward line that Armagh have really brought out the big guns.

Ronan Clarke makes his first appearance in an Armagh jersey since last year's league campaign while Steven McDonnell is also included at corner forward for the clash with Cavan in Crossmaglen.

Armagh (NFL v Cavan) - Ciaran McKinney, Enda McNulty, Brendan Donaghy, Finian Moriarty, Gareth Smyth, Aidan O'Rourke, Paul Duffy, Gareth O'Neill, Paul McGrane, Martin O'Rourke, Brian Mallon, Paddy McKeever, Gareth Swift, Ronan Clarke, Steven McDonnell.

Subs - Padraig Rodgers, Barry Shannon, Mark Quinn, Ciaran McKeever, Gerard McCoy, Gregory Loughran, Conor Clarke, Brian McCone, Stephen Kernan, Tony Kernan, Kevin O'Rourke, Charlie Vernon, Philip Loughran, Paul McGaughey, Stefan Forker.

"If it was easy any monkey could do it....go get me a monkey Barry".

BallyhaiseMan

Cavan (NFL v Armagh) - J Reilly; M Brides, D Sheridan, K Fannin; B Watters, P Reilly, J McCutcheon; L Mulvey, J Cunningham; M Reilly, R Donohoe, A Forde; J O'Reilly, E O'Reilly, S Johnston.

3 newcomers in Barry Watters, John McCutcheon and John Cunningham.
Not a very strong Cavan team though.
I would be very shocked if we got anything out of the game against what looks a strong Armagh team.

Travis T O Justice

Anyone know if this is likely to be shown on TG4 on Sunday? I know the Galway Laois game is - just wondered if this one would be deffered coverage?
"If it was easy any monkey could do it....go get me a monkey Barry".

BenDover

I thought the Cross boys weren't available for selection.

Yea a.f.a.i.k Andy has a hamstring injury

cavanmaniac

Quote from: Travis T O Justice on February 01, 2008, 03:11:21 PM
Anyone know if this is likely to be shown on TG4 on Sunday? I know the Galway Laois game is - just wondered if this one would be deffered coverage?

I think it'll be shown later in the day, yeah.

corn02

Galway v Laois is live I think then deferred from Cross and then another match deferred but I can not remeber which one.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Decent side. Only change I might make would be fit Vernon in somewhere in the backline. I think with the Cross lads out its best to go with the strongest team possible. The sooner McDonnell gets his first win the better. To be honest, this and Roscommon at home seem like the 2 most winnable games so 2 points is vital to avoid being stuck in another relegation battle.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

corn02

You just worry about walking round Belfast with your ipod in TAM ;)

Armagh will be in the top three at the end of the league due to four home games.

Uladh

As good a talent as i think vernon is i don't think he is an intercounty defender. wing forward looks to be the spot for him, although i do notice that none of himself, courtney or lavery are listed among the subs?

David McKeown

Are they not Uladh?  Travis has him amongst the subs there?  Might it be something to do with sigerson commitments?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Uladh

I see vernon in there now. the other two aren't there though, or am i gong blind?

David McKeown

I can only see Vernon myself, I wonder why Paul Courtney isnt there, I thought Lavery was injured at the minute
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Orior

Looks a good team. Will Enda stand the pace against some nippy wee breffni blue?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Orior

Awful awful awful first half by Armagh. Stevie McDonnell needs to take a good look at himself - my sister could have taken that free better. And when Ronan is through with the ball he just dosnt know what to do. At half time it looked like we'll need 10 years to rebuild. A very poor Cavan 1-5 Armagh ballixs -03. Special mention for Paddy McKeever who tried hard. Cavan ended the half with 3(?) yellow cards which underlined their tactics.

Second half saw the introduction of Tony Kernan - at last someone who knew where the goal posts were. A few more came on later and all made good accounts of themselves - Ciaran McKeever, Stephen Kernan, Kieran Toner and Gareth Swift. Suddenly we were winning midfield ball and when we got the ball to the Kernans it usually resulted in a score.

That could be the championship team that finished the game.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ONeill

Enjoyed that game. Armagh started to show some progress towards the end - looks like McConville has an able deputy too. Great Clarke-special knock-down in the second half for O'Rourke who works hard.

Wouldn't mind meeting Orior's sister. Has she any Tyrone in her?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.