Armagh V Cavan

Started by Travis T O Justice, February 01, 2008, 02:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardasell

I have to say Stephen looked the part, and Tony made ALL the difference.  Stevie Mc D is a confidence player when it comes to frees, and as soon as he misses one he is TOAST for most of the rest of a game.  It was a brave (if blatently sensible) move to introduce Tony, if only for free taking duties, and it is the first time in I don't know how many years that a switch on the line has made such a matchwinning difference.
Ok, the original line-up was constrained by club committments, but all the switches seemed to work.  Even if Philly Loughran was not wonderful in the middle, when he came on he released Gareth O'Neill to go into the full forward line, and his high fielding released Clarke for the confidence-building point that will kick-start his season and bring Sam back to the Orchard.

Sorry, got carried away,but we had a lucky debutant manager once, and that worked a treat!!

Armagh Exile

QuoteEven if Philly Loughran was not wonderful in the middle, when he came on he released Gareth O'Neill to go into the full forward line, and his high fielding released Clarke for the confidence-building point that will kick-start his season and bring Sam back to the Orchard.

Philip Loughran did not come on as a substitute today.
Maybe you are getting him and Ciaran Toner (G'more) mixed up?

Orior

Quote from: ONeill on February 03, 2008, 08:02:42 PM
Enjoyed that game. Armagh started to show some progress towards the end - looks like McConville has an able deputy too. Great Clarke-special knock-down in the second half for O'Rourke who works hard.

Wouldn't mind meeting Orior's sister. Has she any Tyrone in her?

No chance.  I have three, and they're married to a dub, a saxon and a buckfast drinker.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

TacadoirArdMhacha

To be honest I thought this was quite a decent display. Apart from the first 15 minutes where Armagh were very poor, they were the better side throughout. The missed frees and goal chances almost cost them however. Clarke and O'Neill both should have had goals in the first half and the 3 missed frees were very disappointing. Shocking defending for the Cavan goal - Donaghy should have dealt with the ball.

Fair play to Peter McDonnell, he made the right switches at half time. Tony Kernan was great with the frees and Stephen Kernan took 2 lovely points. Clarke and O'Neill got nice scores as well. Thought Clarke showed well in the second half and O'Neill switching to the forward line seemed to work. I thought the backs tightened up a lot when Ciaran McKeever came on. Marty o;Rourke worked hard as well and did quite well.

Al in all, I thought it was fairly encouraging and that the final scoreline flattered Cavan as I felt Armagh were at least 4-5 points a better side.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

zoyler

An encouraging display with some well taken scores as well as some awful misses
When O when are refs going to take really positive action about repeated and endless fouling.  Cavan were absolutely cronic at it today!

Orior

There are two ways of looking at the Armagh manager's substitutions:

1) Tactical genius

2) Lucky ballix, as he had promised Cross that he'd give the boys a run out as they need match fitness for the club semi.

You decide.

TacadoirArdMhacha

A little from column A, a little from column B!

Shortso79

Was at the game today.

First of all --- 11 pounds in !!!! What a joke ! Anybody else agree ??

Was at the All Ireland Quarter Final last weekend in Ruislip - only five pounds in ...

Game of two halves today - Tony Kernan was my Man of the Match ! He is some prospect !

Thought Martin O'Rourke and Paul Duffy were excellent.

Gareth O'Neill played welll when he went into full foward.

Fair play to Cross for giving the green light on Tony and Stephen.

Second half display was excellent - great start - home wins are crucial.

Nice wee confidence booster !!

Shortso79

Very good - they would have opened the gate ...

But that's 22 pounds in ....

Feckitt

I thought Stefan Forker might get a run out today.  Does anyone know if there was a particular reason he didn't play or was he simply not selected?

pintsofguinness

Game of two halves today - Tony Kernan was my Man of the Match ! He is some prospect !

I only half seen the game on the telly but thought that as well, he was excellent, I think he's a real prospect and probably the best of the brothers?

I thought O'Neill, Swift and Clarke done well also, armagh played some good football at time but Jesus how many goal chances were missed?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

bigpaul

Stephen kernan 'flapped about' to good effect today!

Orior

Quote from: Feckitt on February 03, 2008, 10:37:24 PM
I thought Stefan Forker might get a run out today.  Does anyone know if there was a particular reason he didn't play or was he simply not selected?

On his McKenna performance, I'd say he's not up to it yet - but his day will certainly come.

Orior

Good quick work there by the GAABoard Moderators!

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteFair play to Cross for giving the green light on Tony and Stephen.

No doubt that Cross only did it because they felt it would be in their own interests. Worked well for Armagh though.