Stephen O'Neill retirement official

Started by Main Street, January 24, 2008, 07:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

An outstanding player. He was a joy to watch in 2005 in particular. I'd be amazed if he never wore the Tyrone jersey again.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Tyrones own

A complete footballer and a gentleman in person, don't think we've seen the last of him!
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

DUBSFORSAM1

As a Gaelic Fan I am terribly disappointed he is retiring as I hate seeing good/great players having to give up the game......but selfishly as a Dublin fan I am also glad at the same time....If only Darragh O'Se would also retire now...!!

stephenite

Fantastic player - as has been mentioned with Canavan gone, and McGuigan still in doubt this is the last thing Tyrone needed

stephenite

Maybe he read Peter Canavan's opus about the life of the modern GAA player and with the impending nuptials thought it just wasn't worth the hassle

john mcgill

A great footballer and an even greater person.  I saw, after he got his first All Star, at a function in an Omagh school.  He was so modest and had a word for every pupil and was one of the last to leave the hall.  He also spoke in Armagh Cathedral in 2005 at a junior Pioneer service and chose to sit with school children rather than the dignitaries.  If he is happy with his decision then fair play to him.

nrico2006

QuoteO'Neill won the first of his two All Star awards in 2003 and his second honour came two years later when he was also named the GAA's official footballer of the year.

The 27-year-old, who works as a schoolteacher in Gortin, plans to get married in August.

BBC

He won his first All Star in 2001 and second in 2005.

I would say the injuries are to blame more than anything else.  He has not really played for Tyrone since 2005.  He has made some appearances but he has being severly limited sue to the hamstring injury.  It must be demoralising for him to have been around the squad and not being able to play properly so who knows what the future holds.  If he can get rid of the injuries and get a full season witht he Clanns he will be back.  Its been a sickener of a time being a Tyrone fan since 2005 - everybody knows of the injuries we have had, but outsiders seem to be of the opinion that every team gets them.  Unfortunately for Tyrone, the injuries have been too frequent, and in most cases have been of  the most serious type and to the main men.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

SouthArmaghBandit

A nice fella. I wish him and his bride all the best for the future.

heffo

Terrible shame. One of the greats of his generation.

He's still young, so hopefully he'll be back..

GaillimhIarthair

Terrible news to hear of a class footballer retiring from intercounty football at such a young age.

Hopefully if he can overcome the injuries that have been affecting him over the past few years we may very well see hime doing a "Brian Corcoran" on it in the near future. 

his holiness nb

Big shame, great footballer.

Cant help but feel that Tyrone wont be challenging this year, I really thought they needed all the injured players back, and not just back, back to their best if they were to have a chance of winning the AI.

I think this is one injury blow too many for them.
Ask me holy bollix

orangeman

Tyrone won't be in the mix - they needed everyone back fully fit and focussed - it seems this won't happen now.

Goats Do Shave

Was it 10 points he score v Armagh a few years ago?

Never seen Francie Bellew get a roasting apart from that day!

Gnevin

Shame , great footballer still could of had a other 4/5 season but am thankful for the 10 years he gave us
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Will Hunting

It's always a shame to see someone retire so young, but i'd say he might be back in due course, so long as Harte isn't the manager. I guess O'Neill thought enough was enough.