Stephen O'Neill retirement official

Started by Main Street, January 24, 2008, 07:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Quote from: ziggysego on January 24, 2008, 09:39:37 PM
Time for Mulligan to step up to the mantle and find his footballing feet again.

He auctioned them off to Mr Eastwood.

the green man

The man can win nothing else a county level, so he is probably putting health before more glory. I'm sure he'd far rather be fit to walk at 45 than have a few more all irelands to his name. He was and is a great player, always seems to have an age on the ball and rifle over points at his ease.

Although as a Derry man is great. Now if we could just get McGuigan and Mulligan and Cavanagh and Ricey and Jordan and Dooher and Hughes to follow suit...

ONeill

The majority of the 97/98 sides have been playing long inter-county seasons now for a decade, be it minor, U21 and senior with plenty of those players combining two teams in the one season. The wear and tear must be extensive.

A someone else said you never know - Stephen might put in a decent club season soon and if the knee clears up and appetite regained by seeing a new batch of players and perhaps new management, he might return.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: clarshack on January 24, 2008, 09:29:52 PM
tyrone may have been capable of winning an all ireland without peter canavan, but without stephen o'neill and with question marks still over whether brian mcguigan and brian dooher can return to previous form, tyrone fans can unfortunately forget about sam for a while. tyrone just about beat kerry in '05 with these players.

What? ??? The 3 point winning margin by Tyrone very much flattered Kerry that day. Your main point is correct though, there is no team which could lose Canavan, Dooher, McGuigan and O' Neill and stay anywhere near the same level. Thats been the situation Tyrone have had since 2005 (I know O' Neill and McGuigan have played championship in 2006 and 2007 but SON was playing whilst injured both years and Dooher suffered serious injuries in each of those seasons). People go on about Tyrone not being able to cope with the loss of Canavan but the truth is they lost 2/3 of their AI winning forward line.

I would say this news pretty much kills of Tyrone's AI hopes for this season. We needed McGuigan and SON back and fit to make a real challenge. Thats SON gone and who knows if Brian will ever get back playing again. Cant blame Stephen for retiring, he gave great service and it must have been hugely frustrating to put so much in and then suffer so many injuries, with a bit more luck he would have helped Tyrone to more All-Irelands. The fact he is apparently struggling to get over the latest injury maybe made his mind up to quit.  2 AI Senior, 2 under 21 and 1 minor is still a decent return for his inter county career though ;D

Who knows if gets fit in time and is doing well for the club he will maybe give it another go with Tyrone.

Rav67

Sad to hear that.  Even though I'm a Derry fan, the victory against Tyrone in 2006 was made a little bit hollow by the fact that neither O'Neill or McGuigan were playing.  Two fantastic footballers blighted by injury since 2005.  If they had those two fully fit I think that team could have won a 3rd AI, but I can't see that happening now.  I hope if he gets fully fit again and playing well for the club he might come back next season.

the green man

A little of topic, but what is it with Tyrone's curse over talented players? Obviuosly there's O'Neill, McGuigan Jnr, McGuigan Snr, McAnallen. Is it because there is more media coverage now, or why do them'uns seem to have a monopoly of misfortune. Has any other county got hit as bad?

orangeman

Sad to hear about Stephen - it seems a strange decison to say the least - is there more to this than meets the eye ?  ??? ??? ??? ???

Baile an tuaigh

One of my favouirte players his ability to score points from inpossable angles was a joy to be hold. A true great. Will be severly missed was really looking forward to seeing Stephen line out for Tyrone this year. A lass not to be. Enjoy your retirement from County Football  you will be truly missed.

Was talking to some fellas that are out in San Fransico who spoke very highly of Stephen O Neill as a person.

orangeman

He can now safely send referre Collins that Christmas card !!!! ;)

Carmen Stateside

Sad to hear the news, class act on the field and off it. Once he gets married but and shes nagging every evening he'll be more than glad to get out to his Tyrone training :P

orangeman

He might enjoy being around home for a while though !  ;) :D ;D

Zulu

Considering his age and if his injuries clear up I think he might be back before too long. However I have to say he was probably the footballer I most enjoyed watching, he had everything, the complete player IMO. I first noticed him as a Tyrone U21 footballer and from that time on a watched his progress closely as you could tell he would make it. Tyrone lads might be able to confirm this as I might be mixing my games up but I think he had a storming  AI U21 final one year, I don't think it was against Limerick but it might have been.

tyrone86

What age was Brian Corcoran when he retired for the first time?

ONeill

Quote from: Zulu on January 24, 2008, 11:45:56 PM
Considering his age and if his injuries clear up I think he might be back before too long. However I have to say he was probably the footballer I most enjoyed watching, he had everything, the complete player IMO. I first noticed him as a Tyrone U21 footballer and from that time on a watched his progress closely as you could tell he would make it. Tyrone lads might be able to confirm this as I might be mixing my games up but I think he had a storming  AI U21 final one year, I don't think it was against Limerick but it might have been.

In 2001 he had a great year and starred in the U21 win over Mayo. He played a big part in Tyrone winning the Ulser senior that year and won an All-Star.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Puckoon

Quote from: ONeill on January 24, 2008, 11:55:33 PM
Quote from: Zulu on January 24, 2008, 11:45:56 PM

In 2001 he had a great year and starred in the U21 win over Mayo. He played a big part in Tyrone winning the Ulser senior that year and won an All-Star.

Stephen turned up to MacRory cup training at his first year with omagh CBS. The things he was capable of doing as a 16/17 year old were amazing. Against St Colmans he was being marked reasonably well. A few of us on the bench were within earshot of the then colemans manager as he encouraged his defender..."Hes only got a left foot, thats it, stand him up"

Stevie turned on a sixpence, and from close to 50 yards out thumped it over the black spot with his right.

Another memory is him single handedly waltzing through the St Macartans defense after picking the ball up in midfield and scoring a cracking goal.

From a perspective of sheer attack minded talent he has few peers.