Stephen O'Neill retirement official

Started by Main Street, January 24, 2008, 07:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magickingdom

shocked to hear that, i hope that with a bit of time he'll change his mind. hes one fantastic footballer

saffron sam2

A big loss indeed. His footballing talents will certainly be missed by this poster. He will always have his two well deserved All-Ireland medals tucked away in his back pocket.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Kerry Mike

meant to put this up a while back (and apologies for sticking it on here) but loyal Kerry servant Mossy Lyons has also recently withdrawn from the Kerry panel due to work commitments in Dublin. Mossy was another player plagued by injuries over the last few years but was always a wonderful defender whenever he togged out for the Kingdom. He got to finally play a small part in an All Ireland final last September and deserves his medals for being a part of a fantastic group of players.

Maith an fear Mossy...
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Main Street

Quote from: hardstation on January 24, 2008, 08:30:51 PM
What did I say?

Anyway, big loss for Tyrone. Great player.
How many Hardstations are there?
you wrote
I think SON is as good as gone

asked why
you replied
He is knackered. He can't play for 20 minutes without being injured. The aul legs are giving up.

Quote from: never kickt a ball on January 24, 2008, 08:26:00 PM
Here's one from 20th Dec. I meant rumours and stories etc. As you can see from the story above he informed MH in October and MH hoped to persuade him back.
I see that I only checked the 13 page Tyrone 2008 thread,
who could have guessed that there was another 400 page thread :)

INDIANA

wonderful player- one of the best of the modern era even though he haunted us- i've written off tyrone for this season now- they won't win the big one without him. He is and was that good.

imtommygunn

You need that extra wee bit up in the FF line to win an AI - SON had that. Seemed like a decent chap too - couldn't tackle very well though!

Realistically teams like Dublin and Mayo don't have that we bit extra and that's why they'll always struggle to win Sam.

Hard to see Tyrone being any great shakes this year without them. I hope I'm wrong as a strong Tyrone will make for a much better championship.

whyarerefssobad

stephen is a great player good luck to him in his retirement
always look on the bright side

mylestheslasher

Jesus lads - some of you are going on like he died or something. I would take retirement (i.e. as in never playing for tyrone again) with a pinch of salt. Maybe the lad needs a break from the game to find his hunger again. Id be suprised if he didn't excel at the club game and make a reappearance in a year or two.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: Main Street on January 24, 2008, 08:53:32 PM
Quote from: hardstation on January 24, 2008, 08:30:51 PM
What did I say?

Anyway, big loss for Tyrone. Great player.
How many Hardstations are there?
you wrote
I think SON is as good as gone

asked why
you replied
He is knackered. He can't play for 20 minutes without being injured. The aul legs are giving up.

Quote from: never kickt a ball on January 24, 2008, 08:26:00 PM
Here's one from 20th Dec. I meant rumours and stories etc. As you can see from the story above he informed MH in October and MH hoped to persuade him back.
I see that I only checked the 13 page Tyrone 2008 thread,
who could have guessed that there was another 400 page thread :)

Not sure what you're getting at Main Sreet but you obviously didn't read page 13 of Tyrone 2008 thread  :D:

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?PHPSESSID=4e7d426e79edf34b652fb55809d1e508&topic=4233.180

Minder

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 24, 2008, 09:06:40 PM
Jesus lads - some of you are going on like he died or something. I would take retirement (i.e. as in never playing for tyrone again) with a pinch of salt. Maybe the lad needs a break from the game to find his hunger again. Id be suprised if he didn't excel at the club game and make a reappearance in a year or two.

It is known as the world famous "Gaa Board RIP" mentality.....
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

clarshack

tyrone may have been capable of winning an all ireland without peter canavan, but without stephen o'neill and with question marks still over whether brian mcguigan and brian dooher can return to previous form, tyrone fans can unfortunately forget about sam for a while. tyrone just about beat kerry in '05 with these players - that's the quality it takes to beat kerry and tyrone just dont have that quality anymore. anyway best of luck to stephen o'neill - he gave us all some great memories.

red hander

'tyrone may have been capable of winning an all ireland without peter canavan, but without stephen o'neill and with question marks still over whether brian mcguigan and brian dooher can return to previous form, tyrone fans can unfortunately forget about sam for a while. tyrone just about beat kerry in '05 with these players - that's the quality it takes to beat kerry and tyrone just dont have that quality anymore. anyway best of luck to stephen o'neill - he gave us all some great memories.'

I agree with 95% of this, but Tyrone's margin of victory in 2005 over Kerry was considerably more than 'just about'.  I'd heard rumours about SoN's injury too and it's a huge blow we've lost him.  A true legend in the county ... hopefully him and those other boys you named can inspire the younger boys to come through...

Pangurban

Disappointing news, Steven was a credit to his County and the G.A.A. in general. Thanks for the memories Steven, you were a delight to watch, except when you were playing Down

ziggysego

Time for Mulligan to step up to the mantle and find his footballing feet again.
Testing Accessibility

Main Street

Quote from: never kickt a ball on January 24, 2008, 09:14:12 PM
Not sure what you're getting at Main Sreet but you obviously didn't read page 13 of Tyrone 2008 thread  :D:

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?PHPSESSID=4e7d426e79edf34b652fb55809d1e508&topic=4233.180

I´m not getting at anything really, if I was a Tyroneman I´d be howling at the moon.  I feel we all have lost a genious player in O'Neill.  
On that page,  one or two rumours in December and a few questions is it true.
Everybody knew that he had a serious injury or rehabilitation issues, I think it is normal that Tyrone followers would be hoping against hope that O´Neill would make it out in the county colours again, you would be mad not to.