Armagh v Derry McKenna Cup

Started by bennydorano, January 06, 2008, 05:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

QuoteArmagh 0-6 2-9 Derry
Peter McDonnell's first match in charge of Armagh ended in a nine-point defeat by Derry in their opening Gaelic Life McKenna Cup match at Davitt Park.
Derry were a goal and two points up early on with Sean Leo McGoldrick tucking away a fourth-minute goal.

Armagh's Stefan Forker missed a penalty but he landed two frees to cut Derry's lead to 1-4 to 0-5 at half-time.

Brian Mallon scored Armagh's only point of the second half with McGoldrick getting another goal for Derry.

Oak Leaf forward Enda Lynn won the man of the match award.

Armagh manager McDonnell said it was disappointing to be beaten so comprehensively but stressed he was using the McKenna cup to assess emerging players.

"You have to look at players to see what they can bring to the table," he said.

"This competition gives us the opportunity to make these assessments."

Derry manager Paddy Crozier was satisfied with his team's display.

"It was a solid enough performance, we created plenty of chances," he said.

"For the last couple of years we have not won our first match in the McKenna so it was nice.

"We decided we were going to use the McKenna to bring in new faces and they acquitted themselves well.

"We want to see if we can bring players through to National League football with a bigger eye on the Championship in the summer."

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7173922.stm

bennydorano

Dont know what I was expecting when I went, but I know I came home dissappointed! (and freezing).  Of the newcomers I thought Gregory Loughran showed up best, McCoy in corner wasn't bad and Dara Edwards, who gave away the first goal, had a decent enough game.  Nippy Swift made an impression when he came on at FF and should have been utilised more. Too early to comment on the mangement I suppose.  Derry were certainly a lot more cohesive.

whiskeysteve

Derry have a good path to the final now. Good performances from a few new faces the most important thing

Armagh were rubbish, though thinking of a team you could put together from those that didnt play and in fairness its way better
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

INDIANA

brutal game - even dublin v wicklow was better. Armagh made the cardinal sin of not starting at least 5/6 regulars to give the other guys a genuine chance to show something. Paddy Crozier did and as a result some fo the newer guys for Derry did well. It's very difficult playing with an entire second string against a vastly superior outfit to show anything- and mc donnell isn't doing them any favours by picking an entire second string. I thought one or two of the armagh players showed glimpses of potential but they were so utterly outclassed that the second half became a joke and as a result it became difficult for them to show anything.

Datsun Donaghy

Hopefully this is their most brutal game this season - anything worse would be incomprehensible!!
Stevie, Andy and Paul watching from the sideline must have found this painful.

Without doubt Armagh are a better side than on show today, but I wonder what McDonnell saw today to enlighten him. Perhaps playing a few more experienced players may have allowed us more possession and an opportunity for the new boys to shine even a little. The surface on the pitch didn't help either.

Cross might have benefitted more with this as a competitive run-out on their way to another All-Ireland!!!

pintsofguinness

QuoteThis game and several other games over the last 2 years or so has highlighted a massive problem in armagh football - we are not producing scoring forwards.

That's true but imho we just don't have the players coming through. 

The players I would consider to be county standard (including the Cross ones) are

Hearty
McKinney
A Mallon
A Kernan
C McKeever
P McGrane
B Mallon
M O'Rourke
R Clarke
McDonnell

Oisin  (worth about 15 - 20 minutes)

Of the rest we've maybe 4 or 5 showing some promise but most of them  range from very good to average club players. 
It'll be a long time before Armagh are competing at All Ireland Level again.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Legs11

who the HELL is dara edwards who does he play for?? very poor player...

pintsofguinness

Quotewho the HELL is dara edwards who does he play for??

I meant to ask that in my first post, where is he from?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

orangeman

Pints - that's a hugely pessimistic view -  you're saying Oisin is only woth 15  -20 minutes - I beg to differ - I watched the AI club final replay - the man was awesome then - I know that was 1st April last year - but he beat St Galls on his own almost.

midtowner

Quote from: Legs11 on January 06, 2008, 07:45:43 PM
who the HELL is dara edwards who does he play for?? very poor player...

Does anyone know who this fella is, people around us today hadn't a clue ???

thebandit

I think he is from Eire Og (craigavon) but he plays for one of the Belfast teams. He'd be in his late 20's as well I think. No harm to the lad but he was shocking today.

midtowner

I think the Mc Kenna Cup is the time for try'n these young fella's. The Banty is doing it in Monaghan with 3/4 from each club getting a chance to see what they can do ;)

Seany

Dara Edwards played for Pearse Ógs, but moved to Belfast.  Wasn't going too well at that stage, but then joined St Brigids and he has found a new lease of lfe.  Might be a contender. 

Rossa

POG, with all due respect Armagh do have the players coming through. About 6 (Finnegan, McKeown, P Kernan, McKenna, Hanratty & Carragher) from Cross are all still Under 21 this year. Add to this Toner & McClelland from Granemore. We won AI U21 in 2004, Ulster U21 last year and minor in 2005. A lot of players were on both squads. Also good minor teams in past two years with good individuals.  It will take a while but the future is bright the future is orange

bennydorano

bit early for the uber-pessimissim, only last week I said I reckoned Armagh have a strong a panel as we have ever had and I firmly believe it.  players missing today who could do a job:
Hearty
McKeown (Cross)
Bellew
A Kernan
S Kernan *
D Comiskey
Gareth ONeill
Kieran Toner
James Lavery
Charlie Vernon
Paul MCGrane
McDonnell
Clarke
McDonnell
McConville
Donaghy
P McKeever
Mal Mackin*
Paul Duffy
Andy Mallon

And I'm sure I missed a few.  What club was Quinn the CHB today from?