Armagh v Derry McKenna Cup

Started by bennydorano, January 06, 2008, 05:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebandit

Did he start out with Pearse Óg?

Banty is playing his panellists from last year and it is abundantly clear that some of them are definately not up to scratch.

thebandit

Uladh

Quote from: orangeman on January 06, 2008, 07:47:15 PM
Pints - that's a hugely pessimistic view -  you're saying Oisin is only woth 15  -20 minutes - I beg to differ - I watched the AI club final replay - the man was awesome then - I know that was 1st April last year - but he beat St Galls on his own almost.

people consistently fail to recognise that the difference between club football and county football is massive. If you watch the championship on itv there are players starring weekin and weekout who wouldn't get a game in the premiership.

who is d comiskey benny?

pintsofguinness

Orangeman
QuotePints - that's a hugely pessimistic view -  you're saying Oisin is only woth 15  -20 minutes - I beg to differ - I watched the AI club final replay - the man was awesome then - I know that was 1st April last year - but he beat St Galls on his own almost.
His performances in a county jersey last year suggest something different.

Rossa
POG, with all due respect Armagh do have the players coming through. About 6 (Finnegan, McKeown, P Kernan, McKenna, Hanratty & Carragher) from Cross are all still Under 21 this year. Add to this Toner & McClelland from Granemore. We won AI U21 in 2004, Ulster U21 last year and minor in 2005. A lot of players were on both squads. Also good minor teams in past two years with good individuals.  It will take a while but the future is bright the future is orange
Kernan and McKenna may be possibilities, though I think McKenna is overrated, but the rest you name are nothing more than good club players. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

bennydorano

Quote from: Uladh on January 06, 2008, 08:41:48 PM
Quote from: orangeman on January 06, 2008, 07:47:15 PM
Pints - that's a hugely pessimistic view -  you're saying Oisin is only woth 15  -20 minutes - I beg to differ - I watched the AI club final replay - the man was awesome then - I know that was 1st April last year - but he beat St Galls on his own almost.

people consistently fail to recognise that the difference between club football and county football is massive. If you watch the championship on itv there are players starring weekin and weekout who wouldn't get a game in the premiership.

who is d comiskey benny?

The big lanky lad in Mf for Cross, I've a total blank on his name now.

Uladh

McKenna.

As pints says, there's very little to be gleamed from the cross team beyond the obvious

Rossa

It takes more than a good club player to win titles in Croke Park at such a young age. All of these have done this with club and/or county minors. Winning is a state of mind and these lads have it.

Uladh

Cross have more good club players than most. however, that does not make those players county standard. frequently players who play on weaker teams but are stretched more or forced into responsibility on the field adapt better to the next level.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Rossa on January 06, 2008, 08:56:45 PM
It takes more than a good club player to win titles in Croke Park at such a young age. All of these have done this with club and/or county minors. Winning is a state of mind and these lads have it.

We'll wait a few years Rossa and we'll see who's right. 

QuoteWe won AI U21 in 2004
btw rossa it's about time we stopped clinging on to this, if we were going to benefit from this win it would be happening now. 

Orior

Did Armaghs half forward line go awol in the second half? I thought the backs came out regularly with the ball, but had nobody to pass to or had to resort to the high ball.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Our Nail Loney

I am from Craigavon and can 100% say Dara Edwards didn't play for Pearse Ogs Seany, he played for Eire Og.

Not county standard at all.

Rufus T Firefly

Very disappointing game and performance today, although it is obviously too early to be making any serious judgements about the current management and/or our future trying to compete at the highest level. There have been some salient points made here and just to add my tuppence worth;

A lot of those on show today deserve their chance but I don't think they will be up to the required standard. As Benny said, I thought Gregory Loughran had a good enough game and showed signs that he could have something to offer. Great also to see Brian Mallon back - although he didn't play particularly well, he has proven himself worthy of a place in our attack and does possess a threat. One player who I thought was poor enough, but I am convinced will prove to be a great addition, is Stefan Forker. He is young yet, but he seems a confident player well able to take a score, and I am convinced he will make it over the next couple of seasons. After these two, there was nobdy really stood out, and has already been mentioned, the fact that it was such an inexperienced team probably counted against them as there was very little experience out there to lift the team when things were going bad.

My immediate reaction after the game was that the future is indeed bleak. However, there was a significant amount of players missing today (between Rangers, injuries, Universities and players being rested) and there is no reason, with the introduction of two or three new faces, why we cannot continue to compete at a high standard.

QuoteWe won AI U21 in 2004
btw rossa it's about time we stopped clinging on to this, if we were going to benefit from this win it would be happening now. 
[/quote]

Disagree pints - I believe that we are already benefitting from our underage success of recent years, with Andy Mallon, Ciaran McKeever, Brian Mallon to name but three who have made the breakthrough. We have often commented though on Big Joe's reluctance to experiment with youth and give them a genuine chance, and by chance I mean a regular start in the one position in the league. This would be central to the reason why more of our underage talent has not broken through, and hopefully a greater willingness by this management to give youth a chance, might see us yet reap more from our underage success of recent years.

pintsofguinness

QuoteDisagree pints - I believe that we are already benefitting from our underage success of recent years, with Andy Mallon, Ciaran McKeever, Brian Mallon to name but three who have made the breakthrough.

I know rufus, my point was that those who are going to make the breakthrough have already done it and you can forget about the rest.

corn02

Let us be realistic men, it is not  a time to be pessimistic or to cast these men aside for not being good enough. These lads have probably been on a weights schedule and are only beginning to start the fitness work. Monghan only got back on boxing day for example. Anyone expecting Championship or even league football is not clued in. These boys have only started playing together and a big improvement will be seen in the next outing.

Regarding Derry, the young Lynn fellow was excellent throughout I thought, the man who took the goals took them both brilliantly.

Swift can be a big asset for Armagh this year if used correctly.

Orior

Quote from: corn02 on January 06, 2008, 10:37:08 PM
Let us be realistic men, it is not  a time to be pessimistic or to cast these men aside for not being good enough. These lads have probably been on a weights schedule and are only beginning to start the fitness work. Monghan only got back on boxing day for example. Anyone expecting Championship or even league football is not clued in. These boys have only started playing together and a big improvement will be seen in the next outing.

The only thing to be optimistic about is that we'll save a bit of money this summer, just like last summer. The Derry boys are without their uni players, and they're just out of the gym as well. Why should Armagh be different?

Its a good thing we're not in division 1.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians