Thomas Davis Lose

Started by dublinfella, December 14, 2007, 11:07:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaaboardmod3

Quote from: dublinfella on January 25, 2008, 02:51:38 PM
Croke Park are paying all the costs.

Anywhere between 400k and a million.

Money well spent if you ask me.  ::)

OK. 2 Day ban for Dublinfella. I was quite clear about this.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Gaaboardmod3 on January 25, 2008, 02:58:43 PM

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Zulu

In fairness I personally don't see why DF should get banned for that comment.

passedit

Quote from: Zulu on January 25, 2008, 05:01:10 PM
In fairness I personally don't see why DF should get banned for that comment.

Fairness has nothing to do with it Zulu. DF must be pissing himself laughing i'd say (sledgehammer and nut).

Don't Panic

Jinxy

I don't think he should get a ban either. This board is better than that. Personally I think it's a good thing that he can post his views here without sanction so long as he is not in breach of the forum rules.  I don't think for a second anyone buys his assertion that he's a GAA fan but I still think he's entitled to put forward his opinion. Although I think this topic has run its course now that the the legal challenge is over.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

magickingdom

why would you ban df for that?

Gnevin

Statement: Tallaght Stadium

Following this mornings (Friday, Jan 25) High Court decision to refuse leave to take a Supreme Court appeal in relation to SDCC's planning decision with regard to the Tallaght Stadium, Thomas Davis GAA Club have confirmed that they will be discontinuing their legal challenge to the planning point.

The Tallaght Stadium issue has always been about the inequity of investing Exchequer funding of almost €20m in a landmark local facility which, although, in name, is being held out as a municipal facility, has been designed exclusively to meet the needs of Shamrock Rovers, and has specifically excluded the GAA.

Following a detailed review of the planning case over the last two weeks, we have concluded that our primary objective of ensuring transparency, fairness and parity of treatment with regard to the investment of taxpayers money in sports facilities in Tallaght, would not be best served by the further pursuit of the net planning point.

However, we remain committed to ensuring fair play. It has never been our objective to hold up the completion of the Stadium and following today's developments we look forward to the Stadium being completed as an important amenity for the people of Tallaght. We earnestly hope that this will leave the way clear for Shamrock Rovers to move into the Stadium before the end of this year.

Christopher O'Donnell
Chairman Thomas Davis GAA Club

John Costello
Secretary
Dublin GAA Board

25th January 2008

http://www.hill16.ie/viewstoryhill16.asp?id=9429&mainheading=Word+on+The+Hill&viewstory=yes
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

dublinfella

Quote from: Gnevin on January 25, 2008, 08:10:24 PM
Thomas Davis GAA Club have confirmed that they will be discontinuing their legal challenge to the planning point.

I thought the judge made that decision for them?    ::)

That is some of the worst spin ever.

If the GAA are centrally paying this bill, not the guarantors on the affedavit, did TD not  lie to the High Court?

tayto

Any chance you could lock this thread so we can finally be rid of this debate? ... i use the word debate loosely ...

dublinfella

Quote from: tayto on January 27, 2008, 04:38:27 PM

Any chance you could lock this thread so we can finally be rid of this debate? ... i use the word debate loosely ...

Not yet, I still think there is a bit more to come out of this - especially now it appears that the GAA centrally used TD as a puppet to have a go at the FAI.

If so, the entire case was based on a lie and a manipulation of peoples loyalty to the GAA.

Zulu

DF you seem to be obsessed with the idea that the GAA are intent on holding back the development of soccer in this country. You have repeatedly avoided answering questions put to you and you consistently try to twist things people say into a sign of the GAA being jealous of govt. money allocated to soccer. From what I can see both Tallaght and Fingal councils behaviour is an indication of local councils in Dublin displaying a breath taking favouritism towards soccer. And the GAA have every right to question this behaviour.

dublinfella

Quote from: Zulu on January 27, 2008, 05:11:39 PM
DF you seem to be obsessed with the idea that the GAA are intent on holding back the development of soccer in this country. You have repeatedly avoided answering questions put to you and you consistently try to twist things people say into a sign of the GAA being jealous of govt. money allocated to soccer. From what I can see both Tallaght and Fingal councils behaviour is an indication of local councils in Dublin displaying a breath taking favouritism towards soccer. And the GAA have every right to question this behaviour.

yes they do. that was a political decision and the place to deal with it was the ballot box or the council chamber, not the supreme court. TD tried and failed to turn it into an election issue because even the GAA community in Tallght had no truck with Rovers and their deal with the Council.

Having said that, how else should you interpret a club taking a case to court to gain access to a stadium they admitted they did not want to use in open court and later it emerge that they were doing so at the behest of the GAA hierarchy other than a malicious attempt to f**k up Rovers? Last man standing and all that?

The fact that with all the facts emerging people still defend the actions taken here is worrying.

Zulu

QuotePut anotherway. If someone goes to sue McDonalds with the backing of their friends and family finacially and it turns out that Burgerking were actually funding the case. it would put a different gloss on things, no?

That isn't a fair comparison, a fairer one would be if BK in tallaght sued McD and at the end of court proceedings BK international picked up the bill because they thought one of their units was sueing justifiably.

Quoteyes they do. that was a political decision and the place to deal with it was the ballot box. TD tried and failed to turn it into an election campaign.

Havin said that, how else should you interpret a club taking a case to court in a stadium they admitted they would not use in open court and later it emerge that they were doing so at the behest of the GAA hierarchy other than a malicious attempt to f**k up Rovers?

So you accept that there is favouritism towards soccer displayed by local councils in Dublin, yet you don't accept the right of the GAA to question this through the courts? It is my understanding that those who run local councils are appointed not elected and I'd imagine that most people don't vote for a TD based on sporting issues. So I think TD's/GAA only option to highlight the striking inequity of  local councils funding soccer projects while other sports have to fend for themselves was through the courts. I will grant you that this was a messy incident and the GAA don't come out of it too well but at least a lot more people are now aware of how some Dublin councils are abusing their position.

dublinfella

Quote from: Zulu on January 27, 2008, 05:25:35 PM

That isn't a fair comparison, a fairer one would be if BK in tallaght sued McD and at the end of court proceedings BK international picked up the bill because they thought one of their units was sueing justifiably.

But BK were explicitly not taking the case, had nothing to do with it, were not mentioned in any documents and in procedings. It is a huge abuse of the courts for BK to then step in and pay for a case that they legally had nothing to do with. Locus Standi is a fundamental in the Irish legal system.

Quote from: Zulu on January 27, 2008, 05:25:35 PM
So you accept that there is favouritism towards soccer displayed by local councils in Dublin, yet you don't accept the right of the GAA to question this through the courts? It is my understanding that those who run local councils are appointed not elected and I'd imagine that most people don't vote for a TD based on sporting issues. So I think TD's/GAA only option to highlight the striking inequity of  local councils funding soccer projects while other sports have to fend for themselves was through the courts. I will grant you that this was a messy incident and the GAA don't come out of it too well but at least a lot more people are now aware of how some Dublin councils are abusing their position.

Yes, but that logic dictates that there is favouritsm from the central exchequer to the GAA. Swings and roundabouts.

The fundamental point is that even if we agree that SRFC and Fingal are being treated too well, there is nothing illegal about it, so going to court was pointless, expensive, a collosal PR error and made enemies in the council and government for no reason. It was not their only option, a decent PR campaign would have sufficed and might have embarrassed the council into funding things for the GAA.

The Government do lots of things I dislike. My democratic mandate is to try and remove them by use of my vote. Not by suing them evertime I think a cheque they write is a bad idea. Does this really need to be spelt out?

Zulu

QuoteThe fundamental point is that even if we agree that SRFC and Fingal are being treated too well, there is nothing illegal about it, so going to court was pointless, expensive, a collosal PR error and made enemies in the council and government for no reason. It was not their only option, a decent PR campaign would have sufficed and might have embarrassed the council into funding things for the GAA.

The Government do lots of things I dislike. My democratic mandate is to try and remove them by use of my vote. Not by suing them evertime I think a cheque they write is a bad idea. Does this really need to be spelt out?

I can accept a lot of that and I would have initially said that TD were unwise to take the legal route, however it seemed to me to be their only realistic chance of changing the situation. As it turns out it wasn't very realistic either and I wouldn't like to be a TD offical living in Tallaght at the moment as they have lost the PR battle badly. However the issue is settled SR can go about develpoing their club and TD have to live with the consequences of their actions. Time for all concerned to move on.