Thomas Davis Lose

Started by dublinfella, December 14, 2007, 11:07:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublinfella

Quote from: Gnevin on January 25, 2008, 10:01:36 AM

DF how much does soccer generate for the Irish economy ?

How would I know? What relevance is that to whether soccer is entitled to capital grants?

dublinfella

Quote from: Zulu on January 25, 2008, 10:31:04 AM

Again far from the full story, govt. grants are dependent on raising a significant portion of the cost by the club itself. And many soccer clubs benefit from this aswell. As for the grants, well many GAA people are against this grant for a start but it only brings them in-line with pro. soccer and rugby players anyway.
                   So if you think about it, all sports can get a govt. grant, top level soccer, rugby and GAA players get money from the govt. in acknowledgement of their abilities but only eircom league clubs are being funded by local councils. IMO the Tallaght issue looked unfair, the Athlone issue I don't know enough about but it too looks generous, but the fingal issue appears to be a scandal. Yet you try to defend it!

Top level soccer and rugby players do not get grants from the governments.

I never defended Fingal whatsoever. My point is that the GAA is happy to take more money from the taxpayer than all other sports combined, including the latest scheme whereby they pay GAA players a grant other field games arent entitled to, and then kick up a fuss when soccer gets its share. In the context of the €5 odd million per annum that the GAA players get, I don't think that we are in a position to throw stones about largesse.... Put another way, the entire Tallaght stadium project will cost less than the states contribution to the floodlights in Croke Park.

Is your objection that the FAI are getting funding from local councils while the GAA through the central government? So what?

dublinfella

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on January 25, 2008, 11:04:17 AM

Is that what ur Carlow cousins told u to say???  :D As to what its got to do with the topic under discussion? Nothing, nothing at all, the same as ur support for Dublin GAA!!!

I thought the mod was quite clear about personal attacks?

dublinfella

Text from court

TD denied appeal to SC and all costs awarded against them.

Its all over.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: dublinfella on January 25, 2008, 11:27:45 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on January 25, 2008, 11:04:17 AM

Is that what ur Carlow cousins told u to say???  :D As to what its got to do with the topic under discussion? Nothing, nothing at all, the same as ur support for Dublin GAA!!!

I thought the mod was quite clear about personal attacks?

:D Could u point out the personal attack when ur finished making stuff up? Interesting, but not surprising, that u try to deflect the conversation rather than discuss the game at hand.

Did ur mate from the "board" send u de txt???  :D
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Zulu

QuoteTop level soccer and rugby players do not get grants from the governments.

I never defended Fingal whatsoever. My point is that the GAA is happy to take more money from the taxpayer than all other sports combined, including the latest scheme whereby they pay GAA players a grant other field games arent entitled to, and then kick up a fuss when soccer gets its share. In the context of the €5 odd million per annum that the GAA players get, I don't think that we are in a position to throw stones about largesse.... Put another way, the entire Tallaght stadium project will cost less than the states contribution to the floodlights in Croke Park.

Is your objection that the FAI are getting funding from local councils while the GAA through the central government? So what?

Come on now DF, the IC grants are about brining top level GAA players in-line with the tax breaks that soccer and rugby players get. Again no-one is kicking up a fuss about soccer getting govt. grant aid, which they do like all other sports. The GAA may get more because the GAA is the biggest organisation and grant aid is often applied to very big redevelopment programs like the Gaelic grounds or Pearse Stadium. Other sports don't have those kinds of projects.
                  My objection is that the FAI are getting funding from local councils while the GAA through the central government, but that soccer is getting both while the GAA seems to be frozen out of local council funding. And to make matters worse if fingal is anything to go by soccer has to bring very little to the table, the council will fund the whole project. I'm not arguing against soccer getting grant aid, I'm asking what the hell is going on in fingal?

dublinfella

So your problem is the method of delivery?

Zulu

DF you're either taking the piss or you're a bit slow, and in fairness to you I don't think it is the latter. This is what I said....

QuoteMy objection is not that the FAI are getting funding from local councils while the GAA through the central government, but that soccer is getting both while the GAA seems to be frozen out of local council funding. And to make matters worse if fingal is anything to go by soccer has to bring very little to the table, the council will fund the whole project.

To put this another way, both my local soccer and GAA clubs can apply for govt. grant aid, they'll both be subject to the same regulations and standards. If they meet those they'll both get their money, but in Dublin, at least, it seems that local councils will plow large sums of money into soccer only.

dublinfella

Quote from: Zulu on January 25, 2008, 12:09:48 PM
DF you're either taking the piss or you're a bit slow, and in fairness to you I don't think it is the latter. This is what I said....

QuoteMy objection is not that the FAI are getting funding from local councils while the GAA through the central government, but that soccer is getting both while the GAA seems to be frozen out of local council funding. And to make matters worse if fingal is anything to go by soccer has to bring very little to the table, the council will fund the whole project.

To put this another way, both my local soccer and GAA clubs can apply for govt. grant aid, they'll both be subject to the same regulations and standards. If they meet those they'll both get their money, but in Dublin, at least, it seems that local councils will plow large sums of money into soccer only.

No, you are objecting to the fact that soccer gets a fiver from the state and a fiver from the council while the GAA gets twenty from the state.

Have soccer not 'been frozen out' of the player grant scheme? cash in hand tax free is better than a rebate after 10 years.

Gnevin

Quote from: dublinfella on January 25, 2008, 11:30:46 AM
Text from court

TD denied appeal to SC and all costs awarded against them.

Its all over.
Great now F Off
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Zulu

QuoteNo, you are objecting to the fact that soccer gets a fiver from the state and a fiver from the council while the GAA gets twenty from the state.

Have soccer not 'been frozen out' of the player grant scheme? cash in hand tax free is better than a rebate after 10 years.

The GAA gets more because it is a bigger organisation, more clubs with their own land one which they are developing flood lights, dressing rooms etc.. The same way that a single mother with 5 kids gets more child support from the state than the one with two kids.
                   As for your second point soccer players get the tax rebate, GAA players get the grant scheme. No-one is getting frozen out, just different methods of achieving the same goal. And just because you say cash in hand is better doesn't make it so. In fact top league of Ireland players and top rugby players will get a lot more than top GAA players through their respective schemes.
             Again all sports can apply to get govt. grant aid but it appears that local council funding is reserved for soccer only, even though these guys remit is to provide for everyone in their community.

his holiness nb

Just heard TD were refused appeal and have to pay all costs.

Now that the saga is at and end I can only hope the GAA will assist Thomas Davis in paying the costs for this entire case.

Anyone got any idea roughly how much the costs will be?
Ask me holy bollix

dublinfella

Croke Park are paying all the costs.

Anywhere between 400k and a million.

Money well spent if you ask me.  ::)

Gnevin

Quote from: dublinfella on January 25, 2008, 02:51:38 PM
Croke Park are paying all the costs.

Anywhere between 400k and a million.

Money well spent if you ask me.  ::)
How much would we have to pay to get rid of you?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

his holiness nb

Thomas Davis have confirmed they will discontinue their legal challenge.  Club officials said it was not their intention to hold up completion of the stadium.

The club said its reasons for taking the legal route were to ensure "transparency, fairness and parity of treatment with regard to the investment of taxpayers money in sports facilities in Tallaght."

"We look forward to the stadium being completed as an important amenity for the people of Tallaght," read a statement signed by Thomas Davis chairman Christopher O'Donnell.

"We earnestly hope that this will leave the way clear for Shamrock Rovers to move into the Stadium before the end of this year.

Ask me holy bollix