Managers/Trainers

Started by highcatch, November 06, 2007, 09:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inisceithleann

Quote from: orangeman on November 10, 2007, 08:54:26 PM
The manager puts in a lot of time especially at county level - I don't think we could honestly afford to pay players - we'd be bankrupt in no time !

I agree orangeman as to pay players could only ever result in a transfer system but it's a bit contradictory for the GAA to go on about the importance of amateurism on one hand and yet totally overlook the payment of managers on the other. Does anyone know if the likes of Mickey Harte get a salary, and what sort of money would they be getting?
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

orangeman

I'm told MickeY Harte gets NOTHING ! Nil - that's why he probably felt comfortable speaking out against the strike.

Cloc Mor

Why should these players be paid when, up and down the country, we have coaches putting in as much time as these prima donnas.  But particularly I feel for one individual within a club who cannot be done without-

The groundsman - the wee twisted fecker who will not let you train or play a match on the good field (if you have one) unless it has been passed at committee level.  "I'm just doing what I'm told"  "There's been alot of rain lately and the pitch is just too wet"  "The goal mouths have only been re-sodded and you can't play on the field"  "There's been too much football on the field lately and it needs a rest."  Excuses, excuses and how they piss us off.  But how many of us spend the same time in the field as this man.  Tending to the needs of every team as well as the grounds and pavilion nearly every night of the week.  When the field needs opened he is there, or maybe gets the wife to open up cause he's just in from work and is at the tea!  He opens and closes the pitch most nights ( a minimum of 3 hours X 5 nights - not including Saturday and Sunday).  Hours upon hours with nothing but bad manners when they can't get on the (good) field.  How much is this man worth?  He doesn't get any gear - nearly every county player gets at least £300 of football gear (approximate estimate).  He gets soaked on a wet night putting away the temporary goalposts because the U. 12 team have been training at 6.00 before the seniors come on at 7.30.  But because the Primary School have a game the following day the posts have to be put back out again after the senior training.  This takes another 20 odd minutes.  By this time the seniors have now left.  The changing rooms are a mess.  Bottles, bananas, jaffa cakes, tape, grass, dirt, you name it on the floor and guess who has to clean it up.  Another 20 minutes.  Close the place up.  Turn the lights off.  Lock the gates.  Same again tomorrow night.

£1500, or whatever it is, wouldn't pay this man - nor would he want it

Now you tell me who we can do without?  

Players can always be replaced but not this man.

glenullinabu

cloc mor
couldnt haver said it better myself
these are the men we cant afford to suffer from burn-out!!!

orangeman

Would many couty players do the mundane tasks ? Don't think so !

glenullinabu

Quote from: Thastheball on November 12, 2007, 01:39:09 PM
That is some bag of crap ... The GAA conceded the principle of amateurism a long time ago. ... Yet when possibly club mates of yours who play for the county have an opportunity to get money from the GOVERNMENT many now want to spit out their dummies. Time to take a good look in the mirror

sounds to me like you are the baby here - maybe most family men cant afford to give up all their time to run fixtures for the county and help run their clubs single handedly
there is now too much work to be done in running the gaa - maybe you should stop making stupid colls like this and help out a bit more yourself?  you might then find why full time administrators are needed

lynchbhoy

I thnk folks are getting caught up in the who what is or isnt amateur debate.

The GAA as in the PLAYERS are to be amateur.
The rules and legislation do not cover the GAA paying people to administrate our stadia, our finances earned from gate receipts and the administrative exercise of giving and monitoring grants etc to local clubs etc.

I dont think people could volunteer for this large and important job. We need full time serious professionals for that - esp where money is concerned. These people dont even have to play or be GAA fans.

saying that we are no longer amateur is bullsiht of the highest order.

paying expenses is being generous, but do people want players to be completely out of pocket?
there is a line that cannot be crossed, and that is drawn after expenses for players - not payment.
Amateurism still remains for players - thats who it is meant for.

Last Man

Quote from: orangeman on November 10, 2007, 09:22:39 PM
I'm told MickeY Harte gets NOTHING ! Nil - that's why he probably felt comfortable speaking out against the strike.
If you talk to people in the know in tyrone you will hear that MH does rather well. The money might not come from the county board but there are other ways donating a few quid to him

robertemmet

got this from ulster.gaa.ie website

Field Based Training 'Fit for Play'   

Date:
Wednesday 14th November

Time:7.30pm

Venue: Mid Ulster Sports Arena Cookstown

Tutors: Ryan Porter
This is an outdoor participation session so coaches should come prepared to take part. This session will look at warm ups, fitness testing, assessment of results and designing programmes for players.

Should you have any queries contact:    Frankie Quinn - 07801753612 

screenexile

Did anyone attend the Effective Team Management programme on Monday night?? I heard from a few sources that it was excellent and Seamus McEneaney has the head well screwed on... apparently Peter Canavan was in attendance  :o :o :o

JOEPPT

Harte is not paid by the Co Board but he is well looked after. Every man needs to have his expenses covered and Club Tyrone pay for the cost of the Tyrone teams from Development Squads to the seniors. He may get a few pennies from them

snappiered

On the Subject of Damian Cassidy we had him with us for a season. He was excellent. Very cocky and a great man for disicipline. This year we had Paddy Mc Guigan. He got more from the players than Cass as he was able to relate to them better. Paddy was also excellent. We are very happy with him we hope to have have for some time. Both men are more than capable of doing well with any Senior team.

Maximus Marillius

Snappiered did cassidy not win you an U21 championship. If I'm right that was his first job as a manager, he probably has developed, although he still has bellaghy very disciplined

tonesfirstandlast

Quote from: snappiered on November 16, 2007, 09:51:25 AM
On the Subject of Damian Cassidy we had him with us for a season. He was excellent. Very cocky and a great man for disicipline. This year we had Paddy Mc Guigan. He got more from the players than Cass as he was able to relate to them better. Paddy was also excellent. We are very happy with him we hope to have have for some time. Both men are more than capable of doing well with any Senior team.
I think you have hit the nail on the head snappiered. Damien is confident and is a stricy disciplinarian but doesn';t relte well with the players. Think if he loosened up a bit, he could be a future Derry manager but a bit to go yet,

lynchbhoy

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on November 16, 2007, 11:41:06 AM
Quote from: snappiered on November 16, 2007, 09:51:25 AM
I think you have hit the nail on the head snappiered. Damien is confident and is a stricy disciplinarian but doesn';t relte well with the players. Think if he loosened up a bit, he could be a future Derry manager but a bit to go yet,
whatever level he is - he's better than the hoor we have a the minute