Managers/Trainers

Started by highcatch, November 06, 2007, 09:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus Marillius

I think that if a local man can take his own club( particularly a club like Bellaghy where expectations are bordering on ridiculus) and be very disciplined and still have the players with him after three years, says quite abit about his ability to communicate with his players. Management is a tough job lads and it is results driven, that dictates the winners and loosers, the top and the bottom.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on November 16, 2007, 12:04:30 PM
I think that if a local man can take his own club( particularly a club like Bellaghy where expectations are bordering on ridiculus) and be very disciplined and still have the players with him after three years, says quite abit about his ability to communicate with his players. Management is a tough job lads and it is results driven, that dictates the winners and loosers, the top and the bottom.

to be fair
if they didnt like him - where else could they go apart from quit playing....
it is club football yer talking about
so think you are looking at this with too much of a romantic notion max...

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 16, 2007, 12:18:47 PM

to be fair

If they didn't like him, get rid of him at the end of his first or second year and get somebody else, or better still don't invite him back for a third....its not a contract

theskull1

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on November 16, 2007, 12:29:28 PM

to be fair

If they didn't like him, get rid of him at the end of his first or second year and get somebody else, or better still don't invite him back for a third....its not a contract

Didn't realise that the players had such power max.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Maximus Marillius

The clubs committee appoint or say bye bye to the manager....and they take their lead from sounding out the players attitudes to the manager. I would have thought most clubs worked like this. The players have to be happy?

theskull1

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on November 16, 2007, 12:40:30 PM
The clubs committee appoint or say bye bye to the manager....and they take their lead from sounding out the players attitudes to the manager. I would have thought most clubs worked like this. The players have to be happy?

As long as they are the right sorts of players..yes getting their opinions is important, but I would be against "player power" so to speak. I understand what you mean
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

screenexile

Screen senior football team as far back as I can remember have always been in charge of getting their own manager. Every year or few years the players have to get togewther to draw up a list and it's up to us to approach the guy and see if he is interested. We have no real assurances from our club committee as to what the manager can expect from them and that is left usually to the manager to sort out himself if he decides to take us. And yes going by this you can be sure that any manager we have ever had hasn't received any kind of payment from our club.

Anybody else know anywhere where the players are completely in charge of who their manager is? Of course I think players should be consulted with maybe the captain of the team on the committee but I think that the situation our players are in is a very difficult one!

snappiered

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on November 16, 2007, 11:08:52 AM
Snappiered did cassidy not win you an U21 championship. If I'm right that was his first job as a manager, he probably has developed, although he still has bellaghy very disciplined
Yeah he guided us to an U-21 Championship alright. He knew his stuff and if he hada stayed with us would have improved us alot. We would have loved to have kept him. Although we were fortunate to get wee Paddy this year.

orangeman

Players picking a manager is always a very contentious issue - committees still like to have the say.

take_yer_points

What's Tony Scullion doing these days? Seen him on the side line at the Railway Cup final just past. He took us back in the day for a while and was very good - probably the best motivator I've ever worked with!

orangeman

Does Tony's job not preclude him from working with club sides apart from his own ?

take_yer_points

Quote from: orangeman on November 16, 2007, 01:50:52 PM
Does Tony's job not preclude him from working with club sides apart from his own ?

What's his job? i'm talking about 10 years ago when he was with us

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on November 16, 2007, 12:29:28 PM

to be fair

....try geting rid of a manager that some (at least) players didnt like...

gaagaa

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on November 16, 2007, 12:40:30 PM

paddy heaney had a great article in the irish news a couplew of years ago about club managers & their behaviour