They wouldn't let GAA into schools now would they?

Started by Jim_Murphy_74, August 20, 2007, 09:31:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Sammy did not provide any answer as to why (in his anecdote) that some teachers could not bring in GAA games to State schools.

Despite being repeatedly asked in that thread
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=4156.240

to provide the School's reason why the teachers were not allowed to bring in GAA, he refused to do so.

SammyG

Quote from: Main Street on August 20, 2007, 04:05:20 PM
Sammy did not provide any answer as to why (in his anecdote) that some teachers could not bring in GAA games to State schools.

to provide the School's reason why the teachers were not allowed to bring in GAA, he refused to do so.

I answered you dozens of times (on that thread and several others) and I'm happy to do it again. In order to join the GAA you have to agree to support the foundation of a 32 county state (not the exact words before anybody starts jumping, I can't be arsed quoting the official guide again), this is a political act and teachers are forbidden from political acts in state schools.

Some people have argued that you can join GAA competitions without actually joining the GAA and I've said that I don't understand this and no-one has ever tried to explain how it would work.

inisceithleann

Spot on 5iveTimes, the GAA is a sporting organisation, if you enjoy playing the sport thats all that matters, you will be made welcome by every club.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

SammyG

Quote from: inisceithleann on August 20, 2007, 06:33:57 PM
Spot on 5iveTimes, the GAA is a sporting organisation, if you enjoy playing the sport thats all that matters, you will be made welcome by every club.
Being made welcome is totally irrelevant. I've never once said that anybody at an individual club would have a problem. The rules are clear and they state that to be a member you must support the Basic Aim.

SammyG

Quote from: hardstation on August 20, 2007, 06:43:26 PM
Quote from: SammyG on August 20, 2007, 06:42:07 PM
Quote from: inisceithleann on August 20, 2007, 06:33:57 PM
Being made welcome is totally irrelevant. I've never once said that anybody at an individual club would have a problem. The rules are clear and they state that to be a member you must support the Basic Aim.
Don't worry about all that, your basic aim will be to bang in a couple of goals per game.

I'm about 3 stone overweight and have a fcuked up back so I don't think I'd be much use to you.  ::)

inisceithleann

Quote from: hardstation on August 20, 2007, 06:46:40 PM
You haven't seen the current boyo.

Jaysus full forwards get a hard time of it. At underage it's always were the fat kid gets put.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

SammyG

Quote from: 5iveTimes on August 20, 2007, 06:48:35 PM
Sammy for once forget your anti-GAA/Catholic/Nationalist/Republican/Fenian/Themmuns policy and listen to what we as GAA members are saying to you. No one is asked when they are joining what theire political views are and by joing your local club you are not signing up to any political viewpoint.
You can say it as often as you like. Your rule book says different.
First and foremost the GAA is a sporting organisation. That is it as far as we are concerned.
I accept that you might see it that way but that's not what the Official Guide says.
I have been going to games all over the country for over 30 years and never once heard politics mentioned.
See previous answers.

From the Official Guide

QuoteTHE GAELIC ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION
The Gaelic Athletic Association today is an organisation
which reaches into every corner of the land and has its
roots in every Irish parish. Throughout the Country,
legions of voluntary workers willingly make sacrifices to
promote its ideals and carry its daily burdens. Why
does the Association receive this unselfish support?
Those who play its games, those who organise its
activities and those who control its destinies see in the
G.A.A. a means of consolidating our Irish identity. The
games to them are more than games - they have a
national significance - and the promotion of native
pastimes becomes a part of the full national ideal,
which envisages the speaking of our own language,
music and dances. The primary purpose of the G.A.A.
is the organisation of native pastimes and the
promotion of athletic fitness as a means to create a
disciplined, self- reliant, national-minded manhood.
The overall result is the expression of a people's
preference for native ways as opposed to imported
ones.
Since she has no control over all the national
territory, Ireland's claim to nationhood is impaired. It
would be still more impaired if she were to lose her
language, if she failed to provide a decent livelihood
for her people at home, or if she were to forsake her
own games and customs in favour of the games and
customs of another nation. If pride in the attributes of
nationhood dies, something good and distinctive in
our race dies with it. Each national quality that is lost
makes us so much poorer as a Nation. Today, the
native games take on a new significance when it is
realised that they have been a part, and still are a part,
of the Nation's desire to live her own life, to govern
her own affairs.
QuoteBasic Aim
The Association is a National organisation
which has as its basic aim the strengthening of
the National Identity in a 32 County Ireland
through the preservation and promotion of
Gaelic Games and pastimes.
QuoteMembership
Membership of the Association shall be
granted only by a Club, and shall be governed
by the following regulations: -
(a) Full membership shall be open to all
persons of eighteen years or over who
subscribe to and undertake to further the
aims and objects of the Gaelic Athletic
Association, as stated in General Rules.
Each player in the Under 21 age grade or
over must be a registered full member.
Only registered full members shall be
entitled to vote at club meetings,
including the Annual Meeting.

stiffler

Quote from: 5iveTimes on August 20, 2007, 06:54:03 PM
Quote from: inisceithleann on August 20, 2007, 06:49:35 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 20, 2007, 06:46:40 PM
You haven't seen the current boyo.

Jaysus full forwards get a hard time of it. At underage it's always were the fat kid gets put.

No way the full forward was always good in my day, the fat kid went into goals.

You werent a no 14 yourself by any chance?  :P
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

snatter

Quote from: SammyG on August 20, 2007, 05:44:03 PM
Quote from: Main Street on August 20, 2007, 04:05:20 PM

I answered you dozens of times (on that thread and several others) and I'm happy to do it again. In order to join the GAA you have to agree to support the foundation of a 32 county state (not the exact words before anybody starts jumping, I can't be arsed quoting the official guide again), this is a political act and teachers are forbidden from political acts in state schools.

Some people have argued that you can join GAA competitions without actually joining the GAA and I've said that I don't understand this and no-one has ever tried to explain how it would work.

You're nothing but a lying scroat SammyG.

You were told repeatedly that
NO SCHOOL
NO TEACHER
NO PUPIL
had to join the GAA to be able to take part in schools gaelic football competitions.

So even if you somehow interpreted the GAA rulebook as being incompatible with your unionist beliefs, there would still be no factual basis on which to deny pupils access to gaelic games within the NI state school sector.

The only reasons would be bigotry / fear / disinterest, not some fictitious political barrier put up by anti gaa zealots like yourself.

SammyG

Quote from: snatter on August 20, 2007, 08:33:45 PMYou're nothing but a lying scrot SammyG.
Thanks and I thought we were mates.
Quote from: snatter on August 20, 2007, 08:33:45 PM
NO SCHOOL
NO TEACHER
NO PUPIL
had to join the GAA to be able to take part in schools gaelic football competitions.
And I've repeatedly asked how this would work as I don't understand it.
So even if you somehow interpreted the GAA rulebook as being incompatible with your unionist beliefs, there would still be no factual basis on which to deny pupils access to gaelic games within the NI state school sector.
WTF are you on about? I've given you the reasons about 50 times.
The only reasons would be bigotry / fear / disinterest, not some fictitious political barrier put up by anti gaa zealots like yourself.
As previously discussed, the GAA have political rules but it is everybody elses fault.  ::)

snatter

Quote from: SammyG on August 20, 2007, 08:42:31 PM
NO SCHOOL
NO TEACHER
NO PUPIL
And I've repeatedly asked how this would work as I don't understand it.

What are you thick or something? You've been told this before - there's nothing complicated about it.

Quote from: snatter on August 10, 2007, 11:03:34 AM
Quote from: SammyG on August 10, 2007, 10:23:09 AM
Quote from: snatter on August 10, 2007, 10:17:35 AMSammy,

are you clear on the fact that schoolkids or their teachers don't have to be members of the GAA to play gaelic football, or take part in gaelic football competitions?

No, not clear at all. How can you take part in a GAA competition without being a member of the GAA? Genuine question.

1. The GAA organise the competition.
2. School enters team in the competition.
    Importantly there is absolutely no requirement for teachers or pupils to be members of the GAA.
3. Team plays in competition.

Its as simple as that really.
I'd imagine that its in no way different from the IFA or IRFU organising school competitions.
Entry is open to all, with no heed taken of membership of the organising association.

Simple. Easy. Nothing complicated about that.
So wtf can't you accept it? Is it your super bigot goggles, or intellectual inadequacy?
I'll be fcuked if I can think of any other reason why you can't understand.

In fact, you almost came close to accepting what we say:

Quote from: SammyG on August 10, 2007, 04:13:02 PM
Quote from: snatter on August 10, 2007, 04:09:46 PMare you clear on the fact that schoolkids or their teachers don't have to be members of the GAA to play gaelic football, or take part in gaelic football competitions?
.......... I now accept (even though the rules say not) that it is possible to play Gaelic games without becoming a member.

Put your manufactured excuses aside.
If you accept that you don't have to be a GAA member to play the games,
If you accept that teachers don't have to be a GAA member for their pupils to play the games,
If you accept that schools don't have to join the GAA for their pupils to play the games,
If you accept that by playing the games and not being a member, you are not duty bound to accept GAA membership rules,

THEN WHAT REASON OTHER THAN BIGOTRY COULD JUSTIFY KEEPING GAELIC GAMES OUT OF NI SCHOOLS?

SammyG

Quote from: snatter on August 20, 2007, 09:04:59 PM
THEN WHAT REASON OTHER THAN BIGOTRY COULD JUSTIFY KEEPING GAELIC GAMES OUT OF NI SCHOOLS?
snatter

You keep repeating the same shite but you refuse to answer the basic question. The GAA guide says

QuoteBefore a club may take part in any
competition, an affiliation fee of €20 shall be
paid for the year to the County Committee.
Entry fee for Championships shall be €20 for
each adult team and €8 for each under-age
team, except where County Bye-Laws provide
for a higher amount.

and

QuoteIn Under 15 and younger grades, official
lists of players shall be signed by the
Secretary or, if absent, the Assistant
Secretary, or the official in charge of the
team, whose name must be officially
notified in advance to the Committee in
charge of the competition.

As well as the rules about membership (already quoted many times).

How do you suggest that schools avoid these rules and what would happen about insurance etc?

snatter

Quote from: SammyG on August 20, 2007, 09:13:11 PM
Quote from: snatter on August 20, 2007, 09:04:59 PM
snatter

You keep repeating the same shite but you refuse to answer the basic question. The GAA guide says

QuoteBefore a club may take part in any
competition, an affiliation fee of €20 shall be
paid for the year to the County Committee.
Entry fee for Championships shall be €20 for
each adult team and €8 for each under-age
team, except where County Bye-Laws provide
for a higher amount.

and

QuoteIn Under 15 and younger grades, official
lists of players shall be signed by the
Secretary or, if absent, the Assistant
Secretary, or the official in charge of the
team, whose name must be officially
notified in advance to the Committee in
charge of the competition.

As well as the rules about membership (already quoted many times).

How do you suggest that schools avoid these rules and what would happen about insurance etc?

You quote rules on GAA club's youth teams, not schools.
And even thren you  neglected to mention the rules that Jim showed you - they clearly stated that no GAA player has to become a member of the GAA until they're 21.

Now go away and find some other false reasoning for your excuses bigot boy.

SammyG

Quote from: snatter on August 20, 2007, 09:24:04 PMYou quote rules on GAA club's youth teams, not schools.

Right now we're getting somewhere. Are you saying that schools don't come under the same rules as other underage teams?
Quote from: snatter on August 20, 2007, 09:24:04 PM
And even thren you  neglected to mention the rules that Jim showed you - they clearly stated that no GAA player has to become a member of the GAA until they're 21.
Not sure what that has to do with the discussion but it has to be a member who registers the team.
Quote from: snatter on August 20, 2007, 09:24:04 PM
Now go away and find some other false reasoning for your excuses bigot boy.

As previously discussed everybody is a bigot except the people who want to have political rules in their sport.  ::)

thejuice

I just realised I never ever read the rules of the GAA.

anyhoo, I can see where SammyG is coming from, but its a bit like English common law, ie: really old laws that exist that make no sense anymore but for some reason havent been removed. One example is that An English man can shoot a Welshman with a Crossbow in said Welshman enters an Englishmans land with out permission. Probably made up but i've heard it quoted so often.

But my own personal opinion is that the Basic Aims of the GAA as stated should be changed. It wouldnt hurt, and dont tell me you'd stop playing or watching because the rule book no longer states the following.

Basic Aim
The Association is a National organisation
which has as its basic aim the strengthening of
the National Identity in a 32 County Ireland
through the preservation and promotion of
Gaelic Games and pastimes.

Surely there is no need for that anymore, and i think Sammy has a right to say that it should be changed, I wouldnt say he's a bigot. Its just a small rule a few lines in a book.

It should change and for the sake of making it easier for all people in the North to play our national games why the hell not. Tell me why should this basic aim still exist? what are we keeping it for? what are we protecting it for?? Tell me??
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016