Dublin v Kerry all ireland SF

Started by anportmorforjfc, August 12, 2007, 03:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Will Caffrey stay on as manager as O'Rourke has advocated ?

mouview

Good luck to all true Dubs fans, though I fear there isn't an AI in the current crop of players. Jayo is pretty much finished, Whelan not far off and Vaughan doesn't do enough in general play to be carried for the frees.

his holiness nb

Quote from: orangeman on August 27, 2007, 02:41:56 PM
Look lads - ok - the nutritionist wasn't targeted and it was tongue in cheek

Sorry Orangeman but that wasnt said "tongue in cheek". It was a serious thing to say.
I do agree though that we could do without some of the shite, never denied that.
Just took exception to that comment.
Ask me holy bollix

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

ludermor

ill second the group hug!!!

Bensars

Quote from: heffo on August 27, 2007, 01:28:37 PM
Quote from: neutral on August 27, 2007, 01:11:14 PM
Idiot you are.  It was colin Holmes who threw the first punch... blaming Ricey like that.

It was McMenamin up to the left hand side of the Tyrone goal mouth.

Theres no need for insults - you only make yourself look stupid.

was alan brogan there? what about whelan also?    youre using selective memory.

i would suggest you look at the video yourself.

Now i understand you p***ed off today about the glorious failure but also let me  remind you, because you ran kerry close in a semi final does not automatically me you will improve for next year.

i believe it is as close as this dublin team/management will come to the holy grail. Theres a long time to the next championship match for them, the dublin press will be already inserting them as favourites, we will be hearing once again that this will be the year, an so on and so on.

On a serious note   overall i dont feel that the sideline is tactically astute enough, the team dont have a  killer punch and the overall arrogant/disresfectful attitiude that exists will be a hinderance rather a than an asset.

orangeman

It was very much tongue in cheek Holiness - I'm prepare to take part in the group hug ok.

orangeman

Bensars  - I've been trying to say this all morning and afternoon that Dublin would be better served abandoning all the negative tactics - they need a new manager or else a new management style.

SuperSub

Tankie

Quote from: SuperSub on August 26, 2007, 05:10:17 PM
Well Tankie tell us all ???

Well SuperSub cheers for the PM but there is not to much i can say, i was never confident that we would beat Kerry which i said on this board but i don't think its right to start the blame game just yet as these players have put in alot of work over that past number of years and i for one apprieciate their time and effort. Why did we lose the game i think comes down to what i have said since tyrone beat us in 05, Pillar is a good manager but i don't think he the man to get us SAM as that day in the drawn game he should he was not tactically good enough and i still don't think he has improved on that.
Grand Slam Saturday!

lynchbhoy

jeez lads this whole thing is a bit hysterical.
Its a competition and there can only be one winner so teams are going to lose.
The competitive nature of counties and that there are more counties 'close' to the standard than ever before, then there will always be the rivalry and some ill-feeling/jealousy etc.
I think its created some great games, spectacles and we have been treated to wonderful entertainment this summer.
If it wasnt for the football (and hurling) our wet miserable summer would have been more obvious to us all.

On another note, I dont like the talking and so on that has crept into football.
I recall my brother raising his arm after scoring a goal in an u16 match and the oul fella when he got him home tore strips off him for doing so and he didnt do it again.
The retaliation thing is the same, you may want to hit back, but its worse if someone gives you a dig off the ball and you either hit the deck like a sugar plum fairy or you whinge to the ref and linesman.
The reaction is to skillfully take the fcukers head or ribbs of next time either of you have the ball - ot hit him with yer hip when he is down picking up the ball and carry on the action of picking it up yerself -(usually escapes getting a yellow card).

I dont like some of these distasteful actions on players though - like , I cringed when I saw Ross McConnell jumping on Donaghy's toe with his stude. Donaghy leapet up and highlighted that his foot had been tramped on in an amusing 6'5" kerry leprechaun jig with foot in hand for a few seconds, before howling at the linesman, ref and umpires for a yellow card etc.
He should have taken his dig and got the man back in time honoured fashion.

However, as mentioned before, Declan O'Sullivan did reply in the best possible manner- with 1-3. But not all players are going to chip in with such scores as a perfect retaliation. Retaliation and fighting are not what the game needs, but I am schooled in the old 'eye for an eye' class.

A wise oul fella said to me years ago - if you are fighting , yer not playing football. How can ya win if you're not playing football.

Lighten up lads, like, love or loathe Dublin, Kerry (meath, Cork etc etc) its been a great year for football, and they have all contributed handsomely.

heffo

Quote from: Bensars on August 27, 2007, 02:57:38 PM
Quote from: heffo on August 27, 2007, 01:28:37 PM
Quote from: neutral on August 27, 2007, 01:11:14 PM
Idiot you are.  It was colin Holmes who threw the first punch... blaming Ricey like that.

It was McMenamin up to the left hand side of the Tyrone goal mouth.

Theres no need for insults - you only make yourself look stupid.

was alan brogan there? what about whelan also?    youre using selective memory.

i would suggest you look at the video yourself.

Indeed they were both there.

Whelan tried to drag up a Tyrone player by the scruff who was feigning injury and Alan Brogan reacted to a few choice comments from the Tyrone physio

If you had read my post, you would have seen I was referring to the first incident and that was started with Ryan McMenamin running in and punching Derek Murray - if you dispute this, we can have a little wager - I'll dig out the video segment and we can pm each other details to sort out payment...

orangeman

No disrespect Lynchboy but I think the footballing year has not been great - the hurling has been brilliant.

screenexile

I wouldn't blame any of the players at all for your defeat... you don't have the quality within the county to win the top prize. McConnell, Casey, Griffin (roasted the last 2 games!), Moran (not a HF), Cahill, Jayo (not anymore anyway) and Vaughan are not up to scratch and that is too many passengers for any team to carry when trying wo win an All Ireland, for all this talk about the management using wrong tactics etc. I personally don't think the Dubs could have played any better yesterday than they did.

Considering the players mentioned I reckon you could keep Casey, Moran (played at HB, possibly swap with Cullen) and possibly Griffin and still win an All Ireland, but the rest need to be replaced with real quality for you to push it over the line.

Bensars

You seriously cant blame a incident early on for what transpired thereafter.

Its no excuse plain and simple.

Nor can you blame any incident for the way dublin behaved yesterday. Its only a couple of weeks ago it recieved  widespread condemnation.

As someone else stated earlier, i think its the seige mentality that has been installed and the we'll do anything it takes to win as it was widespread throughout the team.