Waterford V Limerick

Started by darbyo, August 05, 2007, 08:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on August 12, 2007, 05:55:25 PM
Marvellous game. Intense the whole way through, mighty belts, great scores, heros everywhere.

Can sport get any better than this?

I thought the hurling match was great too, SS!.

muppet

Was it just me or was that the filthiest game of the year.

Normally I'd have a go at the ref but its hardly his fault when one team are so intent on pulling on everything that moves, including their own players.

The hurling pundits are terrific for talking up their game and their football equivalents could do with a lesson from them. However they can ignore some obvious faults with the game.

I have never cheered on Kilkenny in a game, but I hope they hammer Limerick.  
MWWSI 2017

agorm

I thought that it was a fantastic game of hurling. I feel gutted for Waterford. This really was their year. No one would have begrudged them the McCarthy cup and I feel that they deserved it.

I think however that the time is up for Justin McCarthy. He just makes too many unwarranted changes that could disrupt things more than improve things. Was he in his right mind taking off Mullane & Paul Flynn within a short period of time when they still had plenty of time to haul back Limerick's lead. The damage had been done more up the fireld especially in the full back line and Mullane got very little service. One of the two at least should definitely been on the field close to the end when Waterford got back to within a point. At the very end it was one of the subs (no. 20 i think) that fumbled the ball and could not pick it up and the ball was sent down to Begly to hammer it home.

Sport is cruel but this has been cruel to Waterford. I hope Limerick win it now. Previous Limerick teams have had to endure their fair share of cruel days.

thejuice

It was a fantastic game in terms of excitment but yes there were a considerable amout of mistakes but i enjoyed it alot. Best of luck to Limerick in the final, ill be rooting for them all the way. it was a physical game alright but i wouldnt say much of it was that dirty.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Punxsutawney Fergal

Fantastic? it was error ridden..... First time in years I'm not looking forward to the final!! Limerick are like the club team from the mountains that you hate playing because they just drag the game down to a poor standard and you know you will end up getting seven shades knocked out of you!! Come on guys you can't say that it was hurling at it's finest. Waterford looked tired and Limerick have just introduced us to new style of hurling - Puke hurling

Shamrock Shore

Perhaps, being from Longford, I am naive in hurling. Perhaps I, subconsciously, like it primitive.

However in terms of excitement, tension, edge of seat stuff, (compared to that awful shite we commonly refer to as soccer - imagine I saw 6 clowns sitting down with pints ready to watch ManU v Some-shite-relegation-outfit in Paddy Cullens in Ballsbridge and ignored the Croke Park-fest, but, hey, that's their right, I spose), drama, etc etc...it couldn't be matched.

Did ye see Ollie Moran, after he was bandaged, gunning for Ken McGrath. Sooner him than me!

INDIANA

bloody awful game. I thought i was in Musgrave Park at times watching that rubbish. There more scrums today than you'd see between England and South Africa. Limerick have about 5 hurlers so they have to adapt their tactics to packing everything because they'd be destroyed in open hurling.
Waterford played about as badly as they could have played and it still took Limerick 70 mins to beat them. Waterford were tired but mentally they don't have it to land the big one. Allowed themselves to be mullocked and horsed out of it in the tight. Limerick only scored ten points. They'll be lucky to score one goal in the final. Kilkenny are going to win the softest all-ireland in living memory. Kilkenny by 10-15 pts.
As for Mullane and Flynn -they were playing very very poorly.Mc Carthy had no choice but to take them off- neither of them contributed anything to the game-what was he supposed to do? You can't leave players on the park because of their reputations.
Limerick make the absolute most of themselves and by turning it into a semi-rugby game they mask their limitations.  Kilkenny will mark O Shaughnessy(who is class) and that's it from what i can see.
Only problem is-it won't work against Kilkenny. Waterford -it's probably the end of the road. God almighty it's terrible to see such a talented team not land the big one. But they only have themselves to blame.

Punxsutawney Fergal

Indy, do you reckon they should re-name the final to the Super Bowl? Limerick packing the midfield and just jumping on any kilkenny guy with or without the ball ;)

muppet

QuotePuke hurling

I like it.  :D
MWWSI 2017

Balboa

Just when you thought Wterford had conquered their demons in knocking Cork out last week they reverted back to type, shitting on the nest when it mattered most, they just dont seem to have the head for it. It looked as if they had already looked past Limerick and were preparing for an All Ireland Final, in fairness on the evidence of today if they got to the final Kilkenny would have beaten them out the gate, full back line is still as ropey as f**k. The 2 Cork games obviously took a lot out of them, the final will be an anti-climax now though, Kilkenny by a minimum of 8.

magickingdom

thought it was a  great game, feel very sorry for waterford tho they have been great all year..

Canalman

An average enough game imo and the best team lost. A cakewalk for KK in the final I fear. KK are well able to match Limerick's (ahem) physicality and hurl also.
Bit disappointed with Bennis' cheap shot at Dan Shanahan after the game. Shades of the Conor Mortimer trash talking after the 2006 semi final.

INDIANA

i think limerick will have delusions of grandeur come the final. only certainty is that their roughhouse tactics will cut no ice with kk who will if necessary dish out the timber if necessary.

Balboa

Quote from: Canalman on August 12, 2007, 09:27:42 PM
An average enough game imo and the best team lost. A cakewalk for KK in the final I fear. KK are well able to match Limerick's (ahem) physicality and hurl also.
Bit disappointed with Bennis' cheap shot at Dan Shanahan after the game. Shades of the Conor Mortimer trash talking after the 2006 semi final.

Aye there was no need, Bennis comes across as a bit of a kn**ker. I hope the Cats tank them & i think they will.

Bord na Mona man

While I'm delighted for Limerick, I think Waterford would have given Kilkenny a better game in the final.
Limerick have great spirit and won't lie down, but I think Kilkenny have too many good hurlers.
You'd have to feel sorry for Waterford. It would have been great for hurling had they won an All Ireland.
It's now almost 10 years since a county outside of the Big Three won an All Ireland.

Waterford lost it themselves though. After getting back in touch, they conceded a killer goal. They had too many glory shots at goal from outfield that didn't come off. Playing it in to Mullane and co. would have been the better option. I would have left Mullane and Flynn on as Waterford don't really have a strong bench anyway.
Hopefully Limerick can do the business in the final, but I can't see it happening.