Waterford V Limerick

Started by darbyo, August 05, 2007, 08:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darbyo

One week to go to this novel pairing, can't see anything but a comfortable Waterford win. I've spoken to a good few Limerick lads over the past week and a few of them reckon that Limerick would beat Waterford (if they got there). I think they are being seriously delusional, remember to get to this stage Limerick have only beaten Tipp and Clare, and if you go through their form lines over the past 24 months it doesn't suggest that either team are up to much. Although Limerick will give it 100% and they should put it up to Waterford for 2/3 of the game I think Waterford will pull away in the last 15min. to win by at least 6 pts.

Balboa

Can only see one winner, the 2 games with Cork will bring Waterford on immensely. Previous Waterford teams would not have come back at Cork they way they did last week. Whether they are fit for the Cats is another story for another day.

darbyo

QuoteWhether they are fit for the Cats is another story for another day.

That's the real question alright, but Kilkenny are going into the AI with only one semi serious game under their belts. Regardless of how competitive their squad sessions are, they can't compare to the 3 Cork games or indeed the 2 Limerick games that Waterford will (probably!) have played.

glens73

Waterford could easily lose this one if their heads aren't right.

They have lost games like this over the years (Clare in '02) Limerick have nothing to lose.

If Limerick happen to beat Waterford, the final probably won't be competitive enough.

darbyo

According to the lads over Anfearrua, the teams are as follows

Waterford team for Sunday:
C Hennessy, E Murphy, D Prendergast, B Phelan, T Browne, K McGrath, A Kearney, M Walsh, J Kennedy, S Molumphy,
S Prendergast, E Kelly, J Mullane, D Shanahan, P Flynn

Limerick team for Sunday:
Brian Murray Damien Reale Stephen Lucey Seamus Hickey
Peter Lawlor Brian Geary Mark Foley
Dodge Banger
Mike Fitz Ollie Moran Seanie O Connor
Andrew O'Shaughnessey Brian Begley Donie Ryan

Jimbobjnr

Limerick to upset the odds and beat wateford, kilkenny to beat either team relatively comfortably in final.

Lecale2

I'm surprised Eoin McGrath doesn't get a start for waterford. I think this will be close but Waterford will win. Limerick +5 at evens on Paddy Power looks the business!

robinbanks

Limerick half back line looks slow.Think we will do alot of damage there with Shanahan/Molumphy/Kelly.Our half back line is probably srongest in the country.If limerick can get high ball into Begley we will probably leak a few goals , however expect us to pull through at the very end by the narrowest.No way are Kilkenny going to get a soft All Ireland this year.Who ever will get through semi will give Kilkenny a rude awakening!

johnneycool

Whilst Limerick are underdogs I'd not be surprised if they win it by the odd point. Waterford have had two high tempo games against Cork the last few sundays and that may leave a bit of tiredness in the legs and minds. Limerick will go into them at 100 miles an hour from the word go and if they get a bit of a run on Waterford at the start, they'll take some catching.

Limerick have to win the Ollie Moran/ Ken McGrath contest as the Limerick forwards can be quite wasteful and need a lot of possession to get up a big score unlike big Dan who is getting scores from little enough time on the ball.

I wonder if Waterford will plumb big Seamus Prendergast onto Mark Foley who had a bit of a tough time on the barrell who won most aerial possession off him that day.

All the signs suggest Waterford but the drive that Limerick has shown this year has gotten them through against supposed better teams.

This game mightn'd have caught the media's imagination as much as the Cork/Waterford games but it'll be just as exciting as both teams go full out no matter what.
Roll on sunday

darbyo

QuoteWhilst Limerick are underdogs I'd not be surprised if they win it by the odd point

QuoteLimerick to upset the odds and beat wateford

Lads I know this is a two horse race and anything can happen in sport but I feel that anybody giving Limerick the nod are doing so simply because it is Waterford their playing. If they were playing Cork or Kilkenny nobody would give them a chance. But at the moment Waterford are on a par with both those teams yet it seems they are not getting the credit. Limerick are in the semi courtesy of wins over Tipp(who were beaten by a Wexford team hammered twice by Kilkenny) and Clare (who were well beaten by Cork). So Limerick have only beaten teams that have shown themselves to be below the top level teams, of which Waterford are one.
                  While again sport can throw up surprises ther is no form line to suggest that Waterford won't win this handy. 

Guillem2

What was in it at the end last time in the Munster Final? 9 points? I think that says a lot. The bookies are doing Limerick no favors offering a spread of + 5. It should be at last 8. Having said that if there's the slightest bit of complacancy about Waterford, Limerick can take them.
My prediction is Waterfod to win by 8. Shannhan will be well marked so I'd take Mullane to score the first goal. He had a quiet day against Cork.

The Waterford half backs and forwards get all the attention but is it just me or is Clinton Hennessy having one hell of a championship? With possibly 2 game still to play he would be my All Star in the keepers position.
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

Mayo4Sam

Fair play to limerick, looked like waterford had them with 10 minutes left
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Shamrock Shore

Marvellous game. Intense the whole way through, mighty belts, great scores, heros everywhere.

Can sport get any better than this?

Dinny Breen

Feel so sorry for Waterford, hope Limerick do the same to Kilkenny, just can't see that happening...

Best hurling Championship ever  8)
#newbridgeornowhere

Punxsutawney Fergal

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on August 12, 2007, 05:55:25 PM
Marvellous game. Intense the whole way through, mighty belts, great scores, heros everywhere.

Can sport get any better than this?

Just to throw a spanner in the works, I thought it was poor from a hurling point of view! Error after error, Kilkenny will win the final and I think we could see a hammering on the cards