Waterford V Limerick

Started by darbyo, August 05, 2007, 08:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bottlethrower7

Quote from: didlyi on August 12, 2007, 10:50:32 PM
Playing the same teams twice in succession says it all while KK stroll to the final.

what does it mean that they played Cork twice in succession (sucessive sundays?) ? They wouldn't have had to if they beat them the first day.

Kilkenny had to play the same team twice also, though not on successive sundays. Had they drawn I'm sure they would have had to though.

Its a weak point either way.

Kilkenny may have had what looked to many to be an easier passage to the final. On their way they played Wexford twice. Wexford beat Tipp, who it took Limerick 3 games to get over. That Tipp team beat Cork who it took Waterford 2 attempts to get over. Kilkenny also beat Galway. Can anyone here say for sure that Galway wouldn't have beaten Cork, Limerick or Waterford?

So please explain to me how that is an easier passage. Is it just because of the margin of victory of their games? On paper these teams are as tough a proposition as any out there. That Kilkenny overcame them relatively easier may say more about Kilkenny than it does about the opposition.

mouview

Jeez, is this thread populated by pro-KK fanatics? Sure, Limerick were tough - that's the type of game it is. W'ford, mores the pity couldn't up the ante on Sunday, but that's the nature of sport. KK are no angels either, remember Noel Hickey's near-decapitation on Eugene Cloonan a couple of years back? I would have taken off Mullane on Sunday because, as in the Cork replay, he was doing nothing; Flynn, I may have left on for longer.

Limerick, if they play as well as they did in the first half, will give KK loads of it and they will be well up for the final - they have every chance. A badly-organised and prepared Galway team gave the cats well enough of it for the hour and may have ran them closer but for a raw full-back and an injury to Fergal Moore. KKs forwards aren't super either; Shefflin didn't score from play against Galway, Comerford won't beat a team on his own and Fogarty and Brennan are hot and cold. Where they are superior to Limerick is in the quality they can bring in off the bench, Limerick have less options there I feel. However at 3/1 + the latter are a great bet in a two-horse race.

Punxsutawney Fergal

Quote from: neilthemac on August 14, 2007, 10:04:18 AM
sure Kilkenny are more physical in tackling than any other team and you don't hear people moaning about them

up Limerick and feck the begrudgers

They are physical but they don't assault the other team! The pull across Dan's head was assault, the off the ball hitting by Limerick players was shocking, the constant rugby tackling of Waterford players which the ref refused to punish. I can see how people enjoyed the game as the intensity was on a different level. I just think Limerick really crossed the line between intensity and filth. Hurling is a mans game but by God Limerick took it to Criminality levels. I for one along with probably quiet a few neutral hurling fans will be praying that Kilkenny show Limerick what real hurling champions are made of.

AZOffaly

Fergal, are you not from Wexford?

AZOffaly

I thought so. And you slag Limerick for their physical approach ;)

Punxsutawney Fergal

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 14, 2007, 11:17:04 AM
I thought so. And you slag Limerick for their physical approach ;)

Wexford even in their hard hitting days never approached a game like Limerick did on Sunday!

Balboa

You obviously dont remember the start of the All Ireland 96 final before the ball was even thrown in, George O'Connor basically assaulted Limericks Sean O Neill.........

Punxsutawney Fergal

Nothing compared to 70 mins of assault on Sunday

AZOffaly

That's the game I was thinking of exactly Balboa. Wexford that day decided to lower the blades.

INDIANA

INDIANA

Sean O Neill was a dirty bollox- who knoced the shite out of Tommy Kehoe in a league game earlier that year. I attended the 1996 All-Ireland Final and Sean O Neill hit O Connor first and O Connor hit him back. The fact that O Connor was better able to hit wasn't his fault because O Neill started it. That was a physcial Wexford outfit but i never saw them pull across people'es heads like i saw two of the limerick players doing at the weekend. Gary Kirby never put his hurl up behind his hand a skill you learn at juvenile level- what did he expect. I read somewhere he broke 4-5 fingers in his time. Limerick have always sailed close to the wind but they could always hurl but this crowd go beyond it because they can't hurl.

Balboa

Indiana.......How do you get to an All Ireland Final not "being able to hurl"? I am no fan of Limerick but everyone has the knives out for them because everyone outside Limerick had their dream final scuppered. If Limerick had stood off Waterford and let them hurl they would have been soundly beaten. If Waterford had beaten them by 6 or 7 with big Dan getting a couple of goals Limerick & Bennis would have been berated for not learning anything from the Munster Final.

Punxsutawney Fergal

Quote from: Balboa on August 14, 2007, 11:48:17 AM
Indiana.......How do you get to an All Ireland Final not "being able to hurl"? I am no fan of Limerick but everyone has the knives out for them because everyone outside Limerick had their dream final scuppered. If Limerick had stood off Waterford and let them hurl they would have been soundly beaten. If Waterford had beaten them by 6 or 7 with big Dan getting a couple of goals Limerick & Bennis would have been berated for not learning anything from the Munster Final.

Who have they played, 3 games against Tipp (Tipp who a poor Wexford bet) Clare who probably are the weakest team in Munster (exculding Kerry). They didn't exactly hurl on Sunday, 5 points from play!! Use the goals argument but we all know that Limerick will never score that many goals again.. They just went out and used their hurls as weapons.

mouview

Who have KK played? Galway are the only team that have given them a semblance of a game. Wexford were rubbish. Limerick have scored 1-19, 1-24 and 0-22 in the 3 games v Tipp and 1-23 v Clare. Consistent enough scoring by any standard.