Waterford V Limerick

Started by darbyo, August 05, 2007, 08:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midman

Quote from: Canalman on August 12, 2007, 09:27:42 PM
An average enough game imo and the best team lost. A cakewalk for KK in the final I fear. KK are well able to match Limerick's (ahem) physicality and hurl also.
Bit disappointed with Bennis' cheap shot at Dan Shanahan after the game. Shades of the Conor Mortimer trash talking after the 2006 semi final.

Missed that, what did Bennis say?

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: INDIANA on August 12, 2007, 09:34:14 PM
i think limerick will have delusions of grandeur come the final. only certainty is that their roughhouse tactics will cut no ice with kk who will if necessary dish out the timber if necessary.
I think any team that wants to beat Kilkenny needs to stand up to them physically and not be bullied.
Limerick will be grand in that regard, but in terms of stickwork, I think they'll come up short.
Limerick's best hope is to exploit any weaknesses in the Kilkenny full back line and get about 4 goals. Which could conceivably happen I suppose...

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on August 12, 2007, 09:39:18 PM
While I'm delighted for Limerick, I think Waterford would have given Kilkenny a better game in the final.
Limerick have great spirit and won't lie down, but I think Kilkenny have too many good hurlers.
You'd have to feel sorry for Waterford. It would have been great for hurling had they won an All Ireland.
It's now almost 10 years since a county outside of the Big Three won an All Ireland.

Waterford lost it themselves though. After getting back in touch, they conceded a killer goal. They had too many glory shots at goal from outfield that didn't come off. Playing it in to Mullane and co. would have been the better option. I would have left Mullane and Flynn on as Waterford don't really have a strong bench anyway.
Hopefully Limerick can do the business in the final, but I can't see it happening.

It will be just as good for hurling if Limerick win it..Was delighted for them and really enjoyed the match
Hurling has definatly been the better of the two codes this year
You'll Never Walk Alone.

neilthemac

Bennis said "eight goals scored and none from Dan Shanahan" fair play to him. did his homework on the opposition and it paid off

didlyi

Im gutted for Waterford but dont want to take from Limerick win by saying that the system beat waterford today. Playing the same teams twice in succession says it all while KK stroll to the final. I sincerely hope that there is another year in these WF players but they may look back on today as being the darkest day of all. They would give KK a better game than LK in final but I still feel Limerick could still do it. I  hope so for the sake of hurling it would be awfull if KK win a one sided final after all the great games this year.

Neutral today

Punxsutawney Fergal

One thing is certain is that if Limerick apply the same rugby tactics in the final Kilkenny will be able to match them and will pick off points from long range for fun.. If you take out the goals Limerick only scored 5 points from play - Junior teams would score more than that! I know I will be betting on KK to win by 15 points

stnessan

True, LK went very long periods (esp. in 2nd half) without any score. I will travel more in hope than expectation in September but glad to see a bit of pride restored in the green and white.

GY Joe

Delighted for Limerick.. Gutted for Waterford. They have brightened this awful summer with their brand of all action hurling.

Limerick, 31 counties are hoping you can put in the same effort only better for the Cats... 'cos thats what it will take.

Lads, the game was a good one yesterday. The first half especially was played at a frightening pace. The ground was wet so there was always going to be some mistakes and scrums but the passion and commitment and the sheer excitement more than made up for that..

The pluses for Limerick? - The full forward line made some hay against the Deceis full backs. Ollie Moran was back to his Tipp form. Hickey, Reale fantastic at the back. Definately a real good team performance whan you find it hard to pick a MOM from the whole team. Who got the Sunday Game vote anyway?

stnessan

Saughs I think. I thought Hickey was super, I don't think he is even 20 yet.

maxpower

I thought Hickey was very much the MoM yesterday, Shaughs was incredibly accurate and tormented waterford esp in the first 25mins but Hickey hurled a blinder all through out.

feel very sorry for Waterford, i do think the better team lost, i really fancied waterford to make it an all ireland final to remember, i hope and pray limerick can still do that but i fear the cats will be too much for them.

Waterford looked out of sorts, possibly a tired team, some of their shooting was dire at times and that can possibly be attributed to 3 huge games in 3 weeks just taking a little to much out of them,

its been a great year for hurling, here hoping for a great final
What happens next????

INDIANA

just listening to newstalk- bennis still crowing about dan the man not getting any goals. it's shite like that that makes me start to wish kk knock the bollox out of them in the final.

agorm

To be honest I wont be as "up" for Limerick as I would have been for Waterford, I just dont know enough of the players and Bennis isnt the most endearing of personalities. That said he probably wont care what the neutrals think if they win the final. I am sure that the vast majority of neutrals will want them to win but with less passion than if Waterford were there.

I heard Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh say that he also thought it was a fantastic game. I think that it must be the hurling purists that did not like the game as it was edge of the seat stuff in my mind. Waterford seemed to panic and make rash changes when in reality they were welll able to catch Limerick if they kept their cool and took their points. I know that Mullane & Flynnwere not having the best of days but it would have been a huge boost to Limerick to see both these boys being replaced. The guys coming on were not guaranteed to be better and imo no more than one of those two guys should have been replaced by McCarthy.

Can anyone give the age profiles of the Waterford players? How many will go? Hopefully they are able to give it another lash, maybe a new manager who is not as trigger happy with the changes both before and during games will help them over the line.

Balboa

I think it is set up for someone like Donal O'Grady to come in & replace Mc Carthy, the team isnt that old with the exception of Browne (who does not seen to be slowing down) & Flynn.

INDIANA

heard Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh say that he also thought it was a fantastic game. I think that it must be the hurling purists that did not like the game as it was edge of the seat stuff in my mind.

it's just that i was very close to the action and from my position  i didn't like some of the stuff i saw from limerick. i like good physical hurling but i felt limerick crossed the line on sunday. i won't be shouting for them in the final. I've lots of time for o shaughnessy and seamus hickey and even someone like donie ryan who's worked his balls off to get onto that team but certain others i'd have no time for with their antics.

neilthemac

sure Kilkenny are more physical in tackling than any other team and you don't hear people moaning about them

up Limerick and feck the begrudgers