Sligeach v Corcaigh - AIQF, 4ú Lunasa 2007

Started by Owenmoresider, July 29, 2007, 06:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligeach

Quote from: paddypastit on July 30, 2007, 04:43:41 PM
Sligeach pull in your langer - I wasn't absent from the Hyde by choice and was no more or less confident than anyone else here. 

? Sorry boss i wasn't talking to you ?

paddypastit

No worries - sligeach, the trouble with speed reading a thread!! In reference to Mike's commenets, I wish all our scoring woes were the few frees... and as for Paddy P, I've greatfully accepted his generous offer for Sligo's chances, using his own money from earlier in the year ,and a combinatuion of surprise results would make for further gains again
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

stew

Cork should win this one handily enough you would think but Sligo put the fear of God into Armagh in 02 and bate Tyrone that year when not given a chance so who knows. I hope Sligo beat Cork but i fear they will go down by 5 points. prediction. Cork 2-13 Sligo 1-10.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Davitt Man

id fear for sligo, we now know that the connacht c\ship was a poor campaign this year and galway peaked for mayo and that was the end of them, struggled past leitrim and could have sneaked it on sligo. Galway are very poor and are not a good team at all. Sligo have to keep it tight early on and take it from there, they dont have enough firepower to trouble the scoreboard and i can see cork running out 6-8 point winners

Mano

I think its a difficult draw for us-Meath and Cork were teams i was hoing to avoid. Cork were rusty against Louth but now have a game under their belt since defeat in Munster. They will also benfit from the 2 week break since their last game. They seem to have a balanced side and have a set of forwards who can all score.
We are strong in defence and midfield and will give Cork very little space. However our problems are in the forwards-we need Davey, Egan, Curran to contribute a few scores from play to take some of the pressure off Brehony. Also Kelly needs to take some responsibility and have a few shots at goal. He is a prolific scorer at club level so he is well able to do it.
Furthmore i think Sweeney has to start he has scored more than some of the starting forwards with very limited time.

baoithe

Quote from: Mano on July 31, 2007, 02:15:16 PM
Furthmore i think Sweeney has to start he has scored more than some of the starting forwards with very limited time.

I think most people are of the opinion that Sweeney should start on Saturday. He's a strange fish though, he seems to perform better coming on as a sub rather than starting.

magpie seanie

QuoteI think most people are of the opinion that Sweeney should start on Saturday. He's a strange fish though, he seems to perform better coming on as a sub rather than starting.

From what I hear there's no way in the world I'd start him and Baoithe has touched on the reason why. Would get him on as early as possible in the second half. Makes things a little messy but I guess management is about getting the best out of the resources at your disposal.

Would say the same team will start. I'd be very tempted to find a spot for Doohan but it would be harsh to drop any of the outfield players at this stage. Think Kelly will do quite well for us and we will need him too. Don't know who we should put in on Canty. If Davey got it into his head to tear into him and really go for it he'd be the man. Not saying he'd overpower Canty but he'd get enough possession and cause enough trouble for our ends.

The Stand Side

Any word on a team or will it be as was with changes made on the day if any?  Any injury worries. 

baoithe

Here's the team (taken from sligogaa.ie):

1. Phillip Greene
2. Charlie Harrison   
3. Noel McGuire (capt)
4. Ross Donavan
5. Paul McGovern 
6. Michael McNamara 
7. Jonathan Davey
8. Eamon O'Hara 
9. Kieran Quinn
10. Brian Curran 
11. Mark Breheny 
12. Brendan Egan
13. David Kelly 
14. Sean Davey 
15. John McPartland

Kerry Mike

Cork team:

CORK (SFC v Sligo):
A. Quirke;
M. Shields, G. Canty, K. O'Connor;
N. O'Leary, G. Spillane, A. Lynch;
D. Kavanagh, N. Murphy;
J. Miskella, P. O'Neill, K. McMahon;
J. Masters, M. Cussen, D. O'Connor.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

magpie seanie

Sligo team unchanged and as expected. There's a great buzz around the county. Roll on Saturday.

Mano

Team unchanged as expected. For Cork O'Leary is back which is significant-excellent player who can do damage going forward if given the opportunity-he scored 3 points against us last time in Portlaoise. He is prone to committing rash challenges which may yield us a few frees.

It will be interesting to see who kicks the frees on the left hand side for us. It was reported in the Indo that Quinn might take them-can't see this happening myself. Seanie does he take the free kicks for Coolera?

Stagmeister

O'Leary was good that day alright but he was being marked by Sean Davey who did not pick him u at all, Davey scored two points himself that day but left O'Leary totally free to do even more damage down the other end, I couldnt see him doing as much damage if Curran or Egan are picking him up...

Quirke is also a great man to have coming back in...

magpie seanie

QuoteIt will be interesting to see who kicks the frees on the left hand side for us. It was reported in the Indo that Quinn might take them-can't see this happening myself. Seanie does he take the free kicks for Coolera?

Quinner is quite a good fretaker and from 40 yards in on the left hand side he is very accurate. Leave the longer ones to Jonny Davey. He has taken a lot of frees for the club (2002 county final hit a few beauts from his wrong side) and if you ask me he's our best freetaker. Johnny Mac has had the role for the club and tends to get first preference if he's playing and he's pretty good most days but I'd actually rate Quinner as better. Hitting them from the ground is a plus in my book. If he's on them he won't let us down.

Don't expect O'Leary to get the freedom of the park that he got the last day. On top of the 3 points he was involved in the move for Murphy's goal and caused havoc bringing the ball forward all day.

heineken_on_tap

Hopefully Sligo can do it - would be great boost for connaught football. However I reckon Cork will win it by 3 or 4 points in the end. Then again i also thought Sligo would lose to us and Galway so that could be a good omen ;)