Sligeach v Corcaigh - AIQF, 4ú Lunasa 2007

Started by Owenmoresider, July 29, 2007, 06:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

Really looking forward to Sligo game. I was delighted to draw Cork. I seen them last year against Donegal and kerry and were rubbish in both games in croker. In my opinion they dont like croker. They peaked in munster final and will be similliar to galway in my opinion. Absolutely no doubt that Sligo will win. I have the same gut feeling Ive had all year. I backed us at 5-1 to.Thanks PP being very generous to us this yr.

Look, the media, cork and most people have critised us dimissed us and expect us to lose and Ive heard all before our games this yr. I pray and believe the cork players will be complacent. Which delights me. Games are won on grass not on paper. Greece euro 2004 pool euro cup 2006...both won, both written off, both not the best team on paper. We can go all the way. Stranger things have happened.

In tommy we trust, he brought me the nestor cup, if he backs quinn to take the frees then Im 100% behind it. ;)

Sligeach abu.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Tubberman

QuoteAbsolutely no doubt that Sligo will win.

Look, I'm delighted Sligo won Connacht and I'll be cheering for ye on Saturday, but don't come out with shite like the quote above  ::)
I think you're in with a very good shout, and I wouldn't be surprised if ye do win, but try and remain at least slightly balanced!
It's not often a Mayo man gets to tell others to keep their feet on the ground  :D
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Teeling Gael

Sligo team was as expected. Big boost for Cork with the return of Quirke who looked a superb goalie in the compromise rules. Sligo seem to have prepared very well with balance spot on between celebration and preparation. There is no doubt that Sligo are not basking in the glory of Connaught Championship and there'll be no one waving to their friends in the crowd this time. The fact is, that at the end of the year, only 2 teams will look back on 2007 as been a success and that will be Sligo and the All Ireland Champions, and that makes Sligo even more dangerous now. Cork are a big physical team  and i worry slightly that particuliarily around midfield N Murphy , P O neill and D Kavanagh could blow us out of the water. K Quinn has had a superb championship but Saturday he is up against a higher calibre of midfielder than he met previously and as our main ball winner he needs to rise to that challenge. Our backs need to be as good as they have been all year and the open spaces of Croke Park should suit them. Whether our forwards aided by some scores from midfield /backs can come up with a matchwinning score is the major question mark. Egan wouldn't score alot so we need Davey, Mc Partland , Curran or Kelly to greatly help Mark Brehony in the scoring stakes.

If Cork win alot of primary ball around midfield and dictate the pace of the game , I expect them to win however in a fast open game where we break even around midfield I think we will win.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Tubberman on August 02, 2007, 03:22:19 PM
QuoteAbsolutely no doubt that Sligo will win.

Look, I'm delighted Sligo won Connacht and I'll be cheering for ye on Saturday, but don't come out with shite like the quote above  ::)
I think you're in with a very good shout, and I wouldn't be surprised if ye do win, but try and remain at least slightly balanced!
It's not often a Mayo man gets to tell others to keep their feet on the ground  :D

I said the exact same quote before the Galway game. Why would i bother going if I had any doubt we'd win. Its just undeniable belief in this team. We played poor in connaght and we still won it. I expect us to play better on Saturday. I know im guarnteed hunger fight spirit agression heart determination and some quality which I feel Cork wont have the belly for. There complacent too.

As a mayoman can I ask you this If we won the All Ireland would you be happy for us? I couldnt careless whether you think we will win or not. Just answer the question.

Tubberman

QuoteAs a mayoman can I ask you this If we won the All Ireland would you be happy for us? I couldnt careless whether you think we will win or not. Just answer the question.

Of course I would! It would be great for Connacht football. I'd be envious naturally, as we have been so close in the past and in all honesty have had better teams that this Sligo team.

QuoteWhy would i bother going if I had any doubt we'd win.
Strange statement. You've been completely convinced that Sligo would win every match you've ever attended? I've been to an awful lot of Mayo matches but I don't think I've travelled travelled to Croke park absolutely certain we would win.
Anyway, I'm not looking to start a big debate - enjoy the day in Croker. Although it will prob be a bit boring since you already know who's going to win  :P ;)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 02, 2007, 03:17:10 PMReally looking forward to Sligo game. I was delighted to draw Cork. I seen them last year against Donegal and kerry and were rubbish in both games in croker. In my opinion they dont like croker. They peaked in munster final and will be similliar to galway in my opinion. Absolutely no doubt that Sligo will win.

I'd have agreed with u if they hadn't already been complacent against Louth, the chance of that happening twice in a row is slim. Still though yous have a great chance, must be putting away the frees this time...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Tatler Jack

QuoteI know im guarnteed hunger fight spirit agression heart determination and some quality which I feel Cork wont have the belly for. There complacent too.

I would not rely on Cork compalcency or they not having the belly for the fight. They have plenty of players who are well able to scrap and the Louth game will have eliminated any complacency. Having said that I think Sligo have every chance as this Cork team is still unbalanced and unlikely to put up a big score regardless of the amount of possession they have. The half forward line is a defensive unit and unlikely to supply Cussen with any decent ball. Morgan is still trying to win an AI with the same players and same system that has failed over the past 3 years and I see no reason that things will change this year. I cannot understand why he does not play natural forwards like Goold and Goulding. If Sligo play with the same passion as in Connacht and take their chances then I have a feeling they will win  - maybe 1-12 to 0-13. Hope all the Sligo fans and especially those that contribute here enjoy the day.

baoithe

Kerry Mike

Will be rooting for Sligo tomorrow, enjoy the day in Croker Seanie and all the other Sligo lads, my brother in law in NY is hoping to see it if he gets out of work on time, he has had the Sligo jersey on him all week at work!!
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

magpie seanie

Tatler - I remember you tipping us for Connacht before the off and am heartened by your analysis for tomorrow. Its much how I see it myself. Don't mind Sligonian, he gets a bit excited by times. We have huge respect for Cork and remember from 2 years ago what they can do to you if they get on top. Hitting the road at 8am tomorrow morning. Can't wait!

clarshack

i think sligo will do cork over the same way they did tyrone over in 2002. cork usually struggle when they are favourites and remember if fermanagh can beat cork in croke park then why cant sligo?

Deal_Me_In

Sligo will have a lot of support. I am sure they will bring a lot of supporters as it is their biggest game in many years, Cork may struggle for a large attendance due to the hurling game the next day and the majority of neutrals will want to see sligo win due to them being underdogs. I personally will be cheering for them as the excitment builds for the tyrone game. Good luck.

baoithe

SLIGONIAN

Dublin FORECAST FOR TOMOROW: Outbreaks of rain developing, especially towards evening. Occasional bright interludes. Mild and humid. Not that bad.

Cant wait for the game. Not getting much work done thinking about it. Im not nervous just excited.

Seanie - I do get excited and sometimes carried away alright, its an emotional sport. The highs are really high but the lows are really low.

GalwayBayBoy

Best of luck to Sliggy tomorrow. Do Connacht proud lads.