Sligeach v Corcaigh - AIQF, 4ú Lunasa 2007

Started by Owenmoresider, July 29, 2007, 06:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mannix

PROVINCIAL CHAMPIONSHIP.
Sligo were indeed worthy champions and i would not take it away from them, however they were dog poor in the easy stuff today, they won ball they had no chance of winning and slowed cork down but the shooting was unreal.
Hard luck sligo, its over for this year.

paddypastit

Well what all can one say.

As most of the Sligo posters on here acknowledged as a genuine concern, the shortcomings in our forward play, or lack of it were brutally exposed today.  Hard to watch for sure but I'd say that the Fermanagh display in the '03 QF was infinitely worse and the Cork Mayo QF in '02 is still firmly lodged in my mind as the worst ever.  Sligo for all their shortcomings did not stop fighting as one poster suggested and, as they always have, they were brave to win ball like few are.  Greene in goal did all he could, the FB was superb, McNamara at CHB broke even and maybe more but thought our wing backs were poor defensively although J Davey was great going forward - unbelievable in fact, but first things first and they were on the back foot most of the time. We were well beaten in MF and I don't believe O'Hara was fit enough to play there.  Curran and Egan fairly put themselves about (understatement!!) but did little with the ball.  Breheny, McPartland and Davey were very disappointing really and Kelly did OK when you consider the poor ball that he got.

All that said 2007 has been a great year for Sligo and each of the players and the management team at different times have been star turns.  The hope now is that we can build on both the achievement and the enthusiasm that it has provided.  Thanks a lot lads and enjoy the well earned celebrations.

Cork too were poor and it is hard to take them seriously as AI contenders on the foot of the last two displays.  That said this afternoon's game is probably about as physically aggressive as they could expect to face - in truth I thought McEnaney was very lenient on the late tackles.  The regard for their claim comes from their being so close to Kerry but we have no other measure for Kerry so next Sunday will tell a lot.  Perhaps a game against a team that is less smothering than Sligo will offer them a greater chance to impress?
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

armaghniac

QuotePerhaps a game against a team that is less smothering than Sligo will offer them a greater chance to impress?

Meath have a number of useful forwards who can take a point and will certainly score better against Cork than Sligo, so Cork will need to make more impression at the other end.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Jinxy

I was literally gobsmacked at Sligos tactics in the first half. They defied belief. I actually felt sorry for the poor little corner forward who was left in there all alone to fend for himself. I thought a lot of the other forwards hid. Not "went missing", "HID". No effort made to support attacks. Going sideways instead of trying to inject some pace into a movement. They let themselves down bigtime.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Dont Matter

This match has got to be up there with one of the worst quarter-finals of all time.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

GalwayBayBoy

Tough for Sligo. They battled to the end but were beaten by what looks like a very ordinary Cork team. Cork were really there for the taking but Sligo just lacked that real bit of quality and class.

I'm completely baffled as to why Sligo persisted with their short handpassing routine and one or two man full forward line. It's grand when a game is in the balance but when you are 5 or 6 points down you need to commit more men forward. They persisted with men behind the ball unfortunately. Hard to complain with a provincial title for Sligo but their style of football is just far too negative.

A great year for the Yeats men though but the big two in Connacht have a knack for being able to regenerate themselves fairly quickly so next year is another matter.

Sligo gave it everything though and deserve every bit of their success this year.

Hound

Cork will defo improve for the semi. It'll be a tight game and depend on which forward line is most clinical. I'd slightly fancy Meath.
Cork's half back line is immense.

I'm sorry to say Sligo were a shambles. The off the ball running of their forwards was the worst I've ever seen from an intercounty team (first half in particular). Nobody showed for the ball, nobody seemed to want it. It was extraordinary how many times a Sligo man had the ball, and had no idea what to do with it, and had no options.  They looked like they'd no footballers. But I'm sure it wasnt a true relflection of them.

Mano

Very negative tactics from the Sligo team. Playing 12 men behind the ball-then when we got a counter attack the half forwards & midfield were too deep to support the forwards who had enough problems without a lack of support. Where was the belief that was coming from the camp over last few weeks. We seemed to be content with keeping Cork's score down.
The half backs were playing higher up the field than the forwards but on a few occassions when a shot was on they pass the ball to a player in a worse position. We are seriously in need of a few new players in forwards and a few of our existing need to be taught how to run into space and shoot at the goals. Kelly while one of our better players (despite the dreadful ball he was receiving) needs to hit the gym and develop a dummy in his game as speed alone will not get him past his man. Everytime he seems to try to beat his man and then stop and turn back. Curran while a wonderful grafter is not a forward. Why did he bounce ball prior to his goal attempt-he was too close to keeper when he shot anf McPartland screaming for ball inside him for a simple tap in goal. Egan also while impressive foraging deep and carrying the ball didn't threaten the scoreboard.
Overall i suppose we are Connaught champions so we have to be grateful to the players, management etc for that but we could have got much more if we employed more positive tactics as Cork were there for the taking

Hardy

Quote from: INDIANA on August 04, 2007, 03:12:34 PM
no sligo forwards breaking the gain-line because they are all in their own half!

Now I think I know who you are!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Not that most celebrated of philosophers himself?  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Hardy

magpie seanie

Had a more than passing interest in a few of the Mayo threads too if memory serves...