Derry v Dublin All Ireland Quarter Final

Started by SuperHans, July 29, 2007, 06:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrick18

Quote from: Tankie on August 13, 2007, 09:37:08 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on August 13, 2007, 09:34:15 PM
Quote from: Tankie on August 13, 2007, 09:22:36 PM
Would it not be the case that Derry were a bit rough with the tackles and got called on it? as for moving the ball forward, if a player is gonna complain thats what the result is.

I think a player is entitled to complain if the original free awarded was unjust.

so do i but the rules don't see it like that. if you watch dublin as the championship progress they used to bitch and moan but now they barely say a word. as it is a contact sport i would be in favour of allowing the captain be the only person to say anything to the ref rather than nobody.

What is your honest opinion on the ref for the match? Did you think he was biased towards the dubs?

jodyb

Quote from: Gnevin on August 13, 2007, 12:09:20 AM
Quote from: Bogball XV on August 13, 2007, 12:03:54 AM
Quote from: Gnevin on August 13, 2007, 12:00:25 AM
So that would be dublin on a other level as i clearly defined . Good it great being right so i can tell the anti dub  tuff eatting culchie muppets on here to kiss my switz
?
Jaysus Gnevin would you ever have a look at your posts before posting them - I'm have a bit of difficulty comprehending it, still presumably you were in the pub all day, what with Utd and Chelsea playing and all.....
Since its so difficult for you to understand i'll spell it out for you
I was right you where wrong and not only where you wrong, you where a p***k about it too .
It's 'were' Gnevin, i repeat  'were'. Not 'where' ................................in all three instances of your use of the word for that matter!!That northside education is showing its true value!! 'Where' refers to the location of something or someone. For example 'where' do Dublin clubs get their players from? Answer; Derry, Armagh, Fermanagh etc etc etc. ;)

never kickt a ball

Good man Jody this use of where instead of were is wearing thin. We're all very concerned about it on this board.

Hardy

Quote from: never kickt a ball on August 14, 2007, 01:21:27 AM
Good man Jody this use of where instead of were is wearing thin.

Or whearing thin? Now - were was I? Oh yes - jodyb you're in big trouble with the oppression  police now, for picking on that poor dub. Cue five (misspelt) pages of "why do culchies get away with spelling mistakes and bad grammar and as soon as a dub makes a mistake you're all abusing us ... etc. etc. "

This new generation of Hill-dwellers is very thin skinned indeed. They're in danger of entirely disgracing their forbears who understood that whinging is the biggest sin of all and would grin at you as you were garrotting them with their own headbands.

his holiness nb

Quote from: tbrick18 on August 13, 2007, 09:34:15 PM
I think a player is entitled to complain if the original free awarded was unjust.

Ah come on now, the rules are the rules.
Ask me holy bollix

screenexile

QuoteWould it not be the case that Derry were a bit rough with the tackles and got called on it? as for moving the ball forward, if a player is gonna complain thats what the result is.

Can't argue with that but all we're looking for is consistency. Watched the match again on TV and there were instances where the Dubs players were giving abuse to the ref and there was nothing done about it!

Also have to say that some of the ref's decisions in the first half yesterday were crazy... I counted at least 4 Dublin free's that should never have been and for the last 45 of the half SML was blatantly pushed over the end line.

his holiness nb

Screenexile, decisions went against both sides, your starting to look like a bad loser with posts like that.
Ask me holy bollix

Bogball XV

Quote from: Hardy on August 14, 2007, 10:01:05 AMThis new generation of Hill-dwellers is very thin skinned indeed. They're in danger of entirely disgracing their forbears who understood that whinging is the biggest sin of all and would grin at you as you were garrotting them with their own headbands.
Should that not be 'winging' Hardy?

As for the ref, I thought Dublin got a lot more out of him than Derry did, the Devlin point and the the double bounce were particularly poor decisions.  The penalty decision is just another example of the stupidity of the advantage rule, we don't have to go as far as rugby (which is ridiculous in that play can go on for 2/3 mins), but surely a wee bit of discretion from the ref could be allowed?
Still Derry should know that you have to beat the Dubs by about 7 to manage a 1 point victory, just look at the Dubs first game v Meath, one illegal goal for Dublin allowed, one legal goal for Meath disallowed..

Hardy

Quote from: Bogball XV on August 14, 2007, 10:45:20 AM
Quote from: Hardy on August 14, 2007, 10:01:05 AMThis new generation of Hill-dwellers is very thin skinned indeed. They're in danger of entirely disgracing their forbears who understood that whinging is the biggest sin of all and would grin at you as you were garrotting them with their own headbands.

Should that not be 'winging' Hardy?

Wat was I thinking of!

orangeman

I thought the ref. was very sore on Derry - Dublin need an All Ireland was all I heard from the dubs - the referee must have got the same instructions.

his holiness nb

Quote from: orangeman on August 14, 2007, 11:26:11 AM
I thought the ref. was very sore on Derry - Dublin need an All Ireland was all I heard from the dubs - the referee must have got the same instructions.

::)

Does anyone outside of Dublin think the better team won on the day ?  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

DUBSFORSAM1

Well a bit late posting due to no access yesterday but here is my take on the game..

Derry started well and did well to get 5-2 in front before Dublin took over for teh next 40-45 mins...outscoring Derry 16-5....before dropping too deep and giving easy posession to Derry to allow them to attack...but to be honest I never thought we would lose the game....

For all the talk beforehand about the Derry defence being so good and Dublin would score we still scored 18 points which is an excellent score...and that was with Keaney probably our best forward playing poorly...

With regards the Dublin defence being poor I agree that McConnell struggled against the Bradleys and Henry/Cullen also didn't have the best of games but a lot of the Derry points being scored were long range points from difficult angles with defenders close by...ie the defenders were doing their job mainly by forcing players into this type of shooting and not giving fouls...a lot of the Dublin points were being scored from a lot closer in and nearly in front of the goals which implies to me that that the defenders weren't keeping teh forwards in awkward positions to score....

With regard to McConnell as I said at the start of the year he was being picked for one game in particular and that game is the next one against Kerry...Donaghy isn't the most nimble of full forwards which is what he struggles with but he should be able to compete in the air against him....

Listening to non-Dublin fans its amazing that Dublin won the game as our forwards were poor apart from B Brogan, our midfield was destroyed and our defence was in all sorts of trouble....

From a Dublin point of view the following players didn't play that well...McConnell, Henry, Cullen, Ryan, Keaney - most of whom have been good all year....

Regards the ref both teams were lucky to get some frees...but while some of the Dublin frees may have been viewed as soft if you grab an arm or a jersey it is a foul....the main reason Dublin got more frees was when the Dublin forwards got the ball they ran at and past the Derry defenders and were being grabbed...the Derry forwards weren't doing that....

tayto

I can see why Derry fans would question some of the refs decisions, seemed to give a couple of soft frees to Dublin, having said that i thought we took control of the game and then took the foot off as we always do with a lead that size. Hard luck to Derry could have got a draw int he end, have to say yer fans were fantastic and good aul'craic.

tayto

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 14, 2007, 11:32:41 AM
With regard to McConnell as I said at the start of the year he was being picked for one game in particular and that game is the next one against Kerry...Donaghy isn't the most nimble of full forwards which is what he struggles with but he should be able to compete in the air against him....

Yea, i'd tend to agree with you there, otherwise it'd make more sense to play sos. ross will hopefully be able to compete with a forward of donaghy's style better. Having said all that he looks a good player and i can see him moving to mid when whelo decides to call it a day. I thought midfeild was 50-50 the other day, a great tussle, very entertaining, some people seem to think whelan has to dominate the whole game before they'll give him any praise.   

Hound

Quote from: screenexile on August 14, 2007, 10:24:26 AM
QuoteWould it not be the case that Derry were a bit rough with the tackles and got called on it? as for moving the ball forward, if a player is gonna complain thats what the result is.

Can't argue with that but all we're looking for is consistency. Watched the match again on TV and there were instances where the Dubs players were giving abuse to the ref and there was nothing done about it!

Also have to say that some of the ref's decisions in the first half yesterday were crazy... I counted at least 4 Dublin free's that should never have been and for the last 45 of the half SML was blatantly pushed over the end line.
Ah c'mon lads.

For frees moved forward, it was only 2 for Dublin, 1 for Derry.

Plenty of arguable decisions in every game, where frees could go either way. The only really bad decision was the two hop IMO. Plenty of decisions went against Dublin too. What about Barry Cahill getting a shoulder straight into his chest as he was charging forward. Definite free. SML was shouldered over the line, that was fair. Except same happened when McCloy nailed Vaughan to knock him over the line. Shoulder to shoulder is allowed, shoulder to chest is not. Dublin also had a blatant 45 in the first half that was signalled wide. And whatever advantage Dublin may have had in terms of decisions going their way was more than evened up in the last 10 minutes, when everything was given to Derry. McStay was breaking his heart laughing as co-commentator at the "sympathy decisions".