Derry v Dublin All Ireland Quarter Final

Started by SuperHans, July 29, 2007, 06:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

A win is a win is a win.Great to see Dublin win with alot of players playing below form.Derry got on top at midfield due to imo (heavily biased)

1 Whelo getting what seemed to be a back injury early in 2nd half

2 Whelo being thirdmanned at the kickouts in 2nd half

Have to say that I was seriously impressed by Derry. We have now well and trully lanced the 1993 boil.

Tankie

It was great to see a poor Dublin performance pull a win out of the bag.My nerves were gone at certain points but that was more to do with Dublin falling apart rather than the challenge of Derry. I was very impressed with Derry but it was always the case that Dublin were in control.

Roll on Kerry!!!!
Grand Slam Saturday!

Real Talk

Quote from: Stmalachy on August 12, 2007, 08:48:35 PM
Tbrick- interested in your analysis.
Who was marking Keaney- 3pts.
who was marking Bernard Brogan who scred 3 pts from play.
who was marking Alan Brogan-3pts from play
some of those playerd weren't as good as you thought.
Don't be so negative!  Good players will always score and the Brogans and Keaney are top class
I thought McGoldrick, McCloy (with a broken finger)and Doc were outstanding in a good Derry performance.  We just needed a bit more composure from the Bradleys.  There was ONE goal chance and 4 point chances that went astray in the last 15mins.  But thats football.  I'm looking forward to next year beginning with a really competitive league campaign.

Gnevin

Quote from: Gnevin on August 08, 2007, 04:48:52 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on August 08, 2007, 04:45:00 PM
I would honestly love to see Derry win this one but I just can't see it.

They have the defenders capable of closing out Dublin's key men but around the "middle third" they just don't, I think, have the mobility or the ability to deliver enough quality ball to cause Dublin's rearguard significant problems. The half forward line has been a major issue for years and there's nothing I can see which has resolved that. Realistically they have beaten Antrim, an aging Armagh, a "transitional" Mayo and Laois who Dublin have wiped the floor with already. The one half decent team they have faced in Monaghan wiped the floor with them.

Like I say I hope I'm wrong but that's the way I see it.They have learnt a lot from the Monaghan game but still Dublin by 5.
It's hard to see Derry beating Dublin , Dublin are a level if not 2 above

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 08, 2007, 05:00:32 PM
Responses like Gnevin's are the main reason I would really love to see Derry beat Dublin too!

Quote from: Bogball XV on August 08, 2007, 08:46:39 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on August 08, 2007, 04:48:52 PM

It's hard to see Derry beating Dublin , Dublin are a level if not 2 above
I am beginning to understand why laoislad and the rest wind you up constantly, and it's not just because you're a muppet ;)
It's also because you don't really have much of a clue about what you're talking about most of the time, if you could justify that ridiculous statement above I might have a little more respect for you, but unfortunately you can't, you can twist the stats whatever way you like (although as fer fox ache pointed out, you can't even do that accurately), but, that won't make it true.
Quote from: criostlinn on August 08, 2007, 10:08:43 PM

This all sounds so familiar. Last year it was the 2 leinsters in a row, a more consistent team which is improving, struggling to beat an ageing galway team, dublins handy win over laois versus mayos more laboured(actually I think it was worse then that) performance against laois.

will ye ever learn

Quote from: Will Hunting on August 09, 2007, 03:05:30 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on August 09, 2007, 02:19:23 PM
Quote from: Will Hunting on August 09, 2007, 02:15:01 PM
. have a blinkered belief in their own team's ability. Dublin are favourites on Saturday and rightly so, but it's too easy to dismiss Derry because they faltered against Monaghan (and Longford last year). Would Dublin have beaten Armagh, Mayo and Laois in consecutive games? They might not even have got past Round 1! But come Saturday, this is absolutely irrelevant.
I've yet to see anyone dismiss Derry most have Derry could beat Dublin but Dublin should be stronger? Show me where someone has say Derry have no chance?

In fairness Gnevin, I never siad that anyone said Derry had no chance. But i'll show you a few quotes that are fairly dismissive of Derry's chances of winning:

-----
Gnevin:
"It's hard to see Derry beating Dublin , Dublin are a level if not 2 above"
"Derry have come from no where
Dublin are simply in my opinion a level above Derry."

Indiana:
"Does any derry fan believe they'll win if bradley underperforms. of course they don't."
"Hayes is right if i were dublin i would put 2 men on bradley because he has to have a massive game for derry to win"

Tankie:
"As i have said before, peopel cannot honest look at Derry and call them a better team, they lost to Monaghan, beat what appears to be a spent Armagh team and struggled to beat a poor Laois team."
-----

By the way, I hope Dublin do double-mark Bradley as it will play striaght into Derry's hands. We do have other forwards y'know.

DubsforSam1,
Most of what you say (esp. the bit about occassion/atmosphere etc.) is exactly why I would have Dublin favourites for this game. Dublin have an extremely strong attack, but I hope our defence can cope with it. The game against Laois became too open for Derry's liking and in the end Laois scored 2-11 (something similar to what they scored against Dublin). But we were more than capable of outscoring them. However, it is too short-sighted to view one single game. Derry conceded 9 points against Armagh and 1-6 against Mayo (whom Dublin conceded 1-16 against last year). A good defensive performance can provide us with a platform for victory, as Derry then seek to target Dublin's defence.

As for you Street Fighter:
As Screen says, yous would take our whole full-back line:  McGuckin, McCloy and Lockhart and yous would be grateful of McGoldrick to replace Cahill. Yeah Paul Murphy, Paddy Bradley, Eoin Bradley and Muldoon also, and maybe even Fergal Doherty. Btw, thanks for illustrating my point about being blinkered!

Quote from: Gnevin on August 09, 2007, 07:15:28 PM
Quote from: Will Hunting on August 09, 2007, 03:52:29 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on August 09, 2007, 03:41:37 PM
Are the Derry fans who predicted a Derry win this weekend being arrogant??

No, thats what fans of a team usually do, have more faith in them than people from outside their county.
Same in every county, same in every sport, same in Dublin, same in Derry.

The selection of quotes saying Dublin will win could easily be matched with matching quotes saying Derry will win, and from this very thread. But why bother dragging these quotes up and grouping them together to try to make a point that doesnt exist??

Justy stop bickering and enjoy the game, and may the best team win.
If they dont, fair play to Derry  ;)

I agree that every county has more belief in their team than others. I have no issue with Dublin fans predicting their team to win, I have already said that Dublin deserve to be clear favourites (but 1/3 is a joke). My problem is with the dismissive attitude of the dubs in saying that they are 2 levels above Derry and claiming that Derry are a 1 man team!

Clear favourites and a level or two a above is half dozen  of one and 6 of the other .

Infact if i  laying a bet and i said to someone who going to win and they said x is a level or two above  y . I'd think x should win but it's going to be close .

If they said x is clear favourite i'd expect x to well ahead at the end .

So that would be dublin on a other level as i clearly defined . Good it great being right so i can tell the anti dub  turf eating culchie muppets on here to kiss my switz 
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Gnevin on August 13, 2007, 12:00:25 AM
So that would be dublin on a other level as i clearly defined . Good it great being right so i can tell the anti dub  tuff eatting culchie muppets on here to kiss my switz
?
Jaysus Gnevin would you ever have a look at your posts before posting them - I'm have a bit of difficulty comprehending it, still presumably you were in the pub all day, what with Utd and Chelsea playing and all.....

Gnevin

Quote from: Bogball XV on August 13, 2007, 12:03:54 AM
So that would be dublin on a other level as i clearly defined . Good it great being right so i can tell the anti dub  tuff eatting culchie muppets on here to kiss my switz
?
Jaysus Gnevin would you ever have a look at your posts before posting them - I'm have a bit of difficulty comprehending it, still presumably you were in the pub all day, what with Utd and Chelsea playing and all.....
Since its so difficult for you to understand i'll spell it out for you
I was right you where wrong and not only where you wrong, you where a p***k about it too .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gnevin

Quote from: Bogball XV on August 13, 2007, 12:03:54 AM
?
Put the fishing rod away, your embarrassing yourself

screenexile

Barely beating a Derry team who lost their best player from the 1st half is hardly a level above us!!!

If ye'd lost Brogan for the 2nd half it could just as easily have been the other way around.

Anyway nobody said that Derry would definitely win the game, in fact pretty much everyone agreed that the Dubs would win as they had been together longer... were better prepared... etc. and that is exactly how it panned out. To say that Dublin are 'a level if not 2 above Derry' is nonsense!

Also it was evident from yesterdays match that indeed Derry have better footballers than Dublin, but as a team Dublin perform better.

Gnevin

Quote from: screenexile on August 13, 2007, 12:13:27 AM
Barely beating a Derry team who lost their best player from the 1st half is hardly a level above us!!!

If ye'd lost Brogan for the 2nd half it could just as easily have been the other way around.

Anyway nobody said that Derry would definitely win the game, in fact pretty much everyone agreed that the Dubs would win as they had been together longer... were better prepared... etc. and that is exactly how it panned out. To say that Dublin are 'a level if not 2 above Derry' is nonsense!

Also it was evident from yesterdays match that indeed Derry have better footballers than Dublin, but as a team Dublin perform better.

To re quote myself
QuoteInfact if i  laying a bet and i said to someone who going to win and they said x is a level or two above  y . I'd think x should win but it's going to be close .

Stmalachy

Totally agree exile, Derry have better talent than Dublin and I can see a future for this Derry team over the next few years. I think that Paddy Crozier is doing quite a good job but think he should sharpen up his helpers and get some experience in there. One thing I think should stop is this Derry obsession of slating the Bradleys. Eoin has a lot to prove, Paddy doesn't, he is the best player in Derry by a mile, now give him the credit that he dezserves.

Tankie

Quote from: screenexile on August 13, 2007, 12:13:27 AM

What game were u watching? ::)
Grand Slam Saturday!

Tankie

I've heard it all now, Derry have better players than dublin but not as good a team. I havent seen any All - Stars in the Derry team, but they pick up a pitty one!
Grand Slam Saturday!

screenexile

Hang on, who were the nominations for MOTM????

Well from the game I saw Derry had the outstanding performers in P. Bradley, Doherty, and McCloy. After that you had Murphy who was another outstanding performer in the first half who took a probable all star winner in Cullen to the absolute cleaners.

From the Dublin team B. Brogan was good in the first half but faded in the 2nd. Alan Brogan had a decent game without being overly spectacular which is indicative of the DUblin team. In short Dublin have more players playing to a consistently good level whereas Derry have 4/5 outstanding performers but maybe 3/4 of the team play poorly.

Tankie

Quote from: screenexile on August 13, 2007, 12:34:16 AM
Hang on, who were the nominations for MOTM????

Well from the game I saw Derry had the outstanding performers in P. Bradley, Doherty, and McCloy. After that you had Murphy who was another outstanding performer in the first half who took a probable all star winner in Cullen to the absolute cleaners.

From the Dublin team B. Brogan was good in the first half but faded in the 2nd. Alan Brogan had a decent game without being overly spectacular which is indicative of the DUblin team. In short Dublin have more players playing to a consistently good level whereas Derry have 4/5 outstanding performers but maybe 3/4 of the team play poorly.

But the thing is that it is widely reconised that Dublin have placed one of their worse games of the year and they beat a Derry team playing at their best! would you agree?
Grand Slam Saturday!

Orior

These posts are all fine and dandy, but what I want to know is

1) Why the feck was play maker Conleth Gilligan taken off?

2) Why was Eoin Bradley not taken off?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians