Derry v Dublin All Ireland Quarter Final

Started by SuperHans, July 29, 2007, 06:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

QuoteI havent seen any All - Stars in the Derry team, but they pick up a pitty one!

If Dublin don't get past Kerry they'll be lucky to get 2 Alstars!!!

I picked Henry, Cullen, Whelan and Keaney for Allstars before the Derry game... did any of them do anything to justify this on Saturday??

Possibly Cluxton has pushed himself closer but that would be it IMO!

screenexile

QuoteBut the thing is that it is widely reconised that Dublin have placed one of their worse games of the year and they beat a Derry team playing at their best! would you agree?

We were not at our best for the 2nd half... Lynch had a shocker McGuckin having his first game back from injury struggled where usually he wouldn't and we were missing Murphy for the entire 2nd half. We'll see over the next 2 years if that was us at our best and I can safely say that we can do better!

Mike Sheehy

QuoteSo that would be dublin on a other level as i clearly defined . Good it great being right so i can tell the anti dub  turf eating culchie muppets on here to kiss my switz 

I think I'm really going to enjoy the next couple of weeks.

Gnevin

Was a poor performance from Dublin from start to finish , to much wasted ball ,to many free kicked straight into derry hands but as the old saying goes its better to win ugly than lose pretty
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Hound

The amount of times Dublin gave away possession was incredible (altho Derry did similar at times). Cullen is usually an excellent distributor of the ball, but he had an absolute mare with ball in hand.

I don't think Derry have better footballers than Dublin, but it'd be hard to argue the opposite either. Perhaps Derry's strength in depth isnt quite as deep as Dublin's. If a neutral was picking a best 15 from both panels, he probably wouldnt be far away from 3 defenders each, a midfielder each and 3 forwards each.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Gnevin on August 13, 2007, 12:09:20 AMSince its so difficult for you to understand i'll spell it out for you
I was right you where wrong and not only where you wrong, you where a p***k about it too .
So, this guy goes off and selects snippets from a number of different Derry fan's posts in the lead up the game, highlights them etc and then proceeds to write:
QuoteSo that would be dublin on a other level as i clearly defined . Good it great being right so i can tell the anti dub  turf eating culchie muppets on here to kiss my switz 
And then, he tells me I was being a p***k about it :D :D

STREET FIGHTER

any neutrals out there, i would like to hear an unbiased opinion on the ref??

i thought he was shocking. taking a hell of a lot of dublin frees forward and never once did he take a derry free forward despite the descent from dublin players. though whelan was extremely lucky yet again (apparently he's never allowed to be reprimanded by a ref) although in sayin that kevin mc guckin was also walking a tightrope and lucky to stay on. but in a 3 point game i thought he was worth at least 4-5 points to the dubs. he only really gave us any decisions when there was 6 points in it and he thought the game was over but once it was back to 3 points he dam sure wasnt gonna let it get any closer. also he blew devlin up for over carrying in the first half after one bounce, a ludicrous decision

unfortunately i am not a neutral.  i thought the ref was dreadful in the 1st half.  the dubs who surrounded me actually laughed at some of his decisions against doire.  why cant things be done fair!?  doire scored 13 of the best points ive seen in a while and 2 from free's. why was a kerry man reffing anyway.  sour grapes!?- perhaps.  but at the end of the day i paid good honest money to watch a good honest match which was certainly ruined by some reffing decisions

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

tbrick18

Quote from: Stmalachy on August 12, 2007, 08:48:35 PM
Tbrick- interested in your analysis.
Who was marking Keaney- 3pts.
who was marking Bernard Brogan who scred 3 pts from play.
who was marking Alan Brogan-3pts from play
some of those playerd weren't as good as you thought.

Keany had 2 frees I think.
Alan Brogan would score 3 points off anyone given the supply he got from the half backs and B Brogan as he's the dubs top forward.
B Brogan would have been the pick of the dublin players in my opinion and fully deserved his 3 points.

tbrick18

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on August 13, 2007, 07:49:28 PM
any neutrals out there, i would like to hear an unbiased opinion on the ref??

i thought he was shocking. taking a hell of a lot of dublin frees forward and never once did he take a derry free forward despite the descent from dublin players. though whelan was extremely lucky yet again (apparently he's never allowed to be reprimanded by a ref) although in sayin that kevin mc guckin was also walking a tightrope and lucky to stay on. but in a 3 point game i thought he was worth at least 4-5 points to the dubs. he only really gave us any decisions when there was 6 points in it and he thought the game was over but once it was back to 3 points he dam sure wasnt gonna let it get any closer. also he blew devlin up for over carrying in the first half after one bounce, a ludicrous decision

unfortunately i am not a neutral.  i thought the ref was dreadful in the 1st half.  the dubs who surrounded me actually laughed at some of his decisions against doire.  why cant things be done fair!?  doire scored 13 of the best points ive seen in a while and 2 from free's. why was a kerry man reffing anyway.  sour grapes!?- perhaps.  but at the end of the day i paid good honest money to watch a good honest match which was certainly ruined by some reffing decisions

Ok I'm not a neutral but feel I have to comment on the ref, particularly after watching the game again and seeing the highlights. On the Saturday game remark was passed on some very dubious decisions made in dublins favour. And I think this is a fair comment. Time and again he seemed to let Dublin away and blow up Derry or bringing the ball forward. The Devlin instance was picked up on the Sunday game showed clearly it was not a double bounce. It also showed Devlin should have had a penalty for one of the Bradley goal chances. And it showed a point that was indicated wide for derry was actually a point. If you only took the penalty and the faulty point decision then thats a win for derry! I know I know thats a bit of a blinkered and biased statement, but I think the ref had a very strong bearing on the outcome of the game. I think when you see that Derry only had 2 scores from frees where Dublin had 6/7 should highlight this. No way was Derry fouling any more than Dublin were and I only remember us missing 1 free (the P Bradley howler). 2:6 is three time more scored frees than which to me indicates a bias on behalf of the ref.

So, I think Dublin might be reading a bit more into the victory than they should. The Kerry match will be a sterner test for them and Kerry have the players in all positions to trouble Dublin, where Derry were probably lacking in 3-4 positions.

I hope Dublin beat Kerry as they're an arrogant crowd, but I just cant see past Kerry for this game unfortunately.

Tankie

Would it not be the case that Derry were a bit rough with the tackles and got called on it? as for moving the ball forward, if a player is gonna complain thats what the result is.
Grand Slam Saturday!

bailestil

Can anyone clear up as to why Murphy was subbed.
Everyone assumed he was injured, but i've heard from a few people since that he was simply taken off after 35 min cause that was what the plan was.

I find it hard to believe that thats the case.
Anyone heard anything similar?

tbrick18

Quote from: bailestil on August 13, 2007, 09:29:34 PM
Can anyone clear up as to why Murphy was subbed.
Everyone assumed he was injured, but i've heard from a few people since that he was simply taken off after 35 min cause that was what the plan was.

I find it hard to believe that thats the case.
Anyone heard anything similar?

havent heard for definate but was under the impression it was injury.
He's supposed to have had a couple of injections before the match. Perhaps they though a half was all that was safe for him to play.

tbrick18

Quote from: Tankie on August 13, 2007, 09:22:36 PM
Would it not be the case that Derry were a bit rough with the tackles and got called on it? as for moving the ball forward, if a player is gonna complain thats what the result is.

I think a player is entitled to complain if the original free awarded was unjust.

Tankie

Quote from: tbrick18 on August 13, 2007, 09:34:15 PM
Quote from: Tankie on August 13, 2007, 09:22:36 PM

I think a player is entitled to complain if the original free awarded was unjust.

so do i but the rules don't see it like that. if you watch dublin as the championship progress they used to bitch and moan but now they barely say a word. as it is a contact sport i would be in favour of allowing the captain be the only person to say anything to the ref rather than nobody.
Grand Slam Saturday!