Derry v Dublin All Ireland Quarter Final

Started by SuperHans, July 29, 2007, 06:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DUBSFORSAM1

Long time dead...Please tell me what cockiness are you talking about????

his holiness nb

I think it will be a close game, but Dublin to win by 2 pts.

I'd say Dublin by 5, but I wouldnt want to be cocky  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

Hardy

Dublin are as cocky as a very cocky c**k who has just had a feed of cockles on top of a haycock.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Or, alternatively, Dublin are as cocky as the cockiest of cocky cocks at the cocky cocks world championships, which has just had the farmer's c**k right up its arse!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 08, 2007, 03:40:10 PM
Or, alternatively, Dublin are as cocky as the cockiest of cocky cocks at the cocky cocks world championships, which has just had the farmer's c**k right up its arse!
:-X
classy
:o
:D

his holiness nb

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 08, 2007, 03:40:10 PM

Ah we are cockier than that!
Ask me holy bollix

screenexile

QuoteDo you really believe that Derry will win?

Certainly do! We wouldn't have gotten this far if we didn't have the talent to beat Dublin. Whether we carry it through or not is a different story. As I have said before on our day we are capable of beating anyone, whether we do or not is a different story. Same to be true of Dublin, on their best day they are capable of beating Kerry, would it happen? Probably not but that's the beauty of the game.

At the end of the day even you would have to admit that the match is by no means a foregone conclusion and that Derry do have the potential to cause an upset.

SuperHans

lynchbhoy

Quote from: screenexile on August 08, 2007, 03:56:00 PM
QuoteDo you really believe that Derry will win?

Certainly do! We wouldn't have gotten this far if we didn't have the talent to beat Dublin. Whether we carry it through or not is a different story. As I have said before on our day we are capable of beating anyone, whether we do or not is a different story. Same to be true of Dublin, on their best day they are capable of beating Kerry, would it happen? Probably not but that's the beauty of the game.

At the end of the day even you would have to admit that the match is by no means a foregone conclusion and that Derry do have the potential to cause an upset.

Derry and their performances have been upsetting me for decades now!

southderryman

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 08, 2007, 03:11:53 PM
Quote from: screenexile on August 08, 2007, 02:50:19 PM
Yeah you beat them by a solitary point.. hardly a case for sayin that you are much better than us!

QuoteYou beat an Armagh team that is seriously weaker compared to 02/03 and a Mayo team weaker than last years team....

I'll give you that Armagh were weaker but they were still a decent team. As for Mayo being a weaker team? How do you figure that one? 13 Players that figured against Kerry in the AIF played against Derry. AFAIK they were only missing the 2 corner backs whilst Nallen and Gardiner were both on the subs bench and not used.

Where did I say we are much better than you??? I said I am confident we will be victorious....

Armagh still a decent team yes but still a lot weaker than they had been with McGeeney/McGrane/Marsden/McConville etc being far worse for example and also losing Bellew/Clarke etc took an awful lot out of them...their loss to Donegal have been proven to be a poor enough team

McDonald was a shadow of the player last year due to injury, McGarrity also out as well as their best defender in Higgins...they had been comfortably beaten by Galway who were themselves easily beaten in the championship...

Do you really believe that Derry will win?

i would rate kevin mc guckin and enda muldoon as better players than these two

STREET FIGHTER

Couldnt agree with you more southderry. valid point

imtommygunn

I would honestly love to see Derry win this one but I just can't see it.

They have the defenders capable of closing out Dublin's key men but around the "middle third" they just don't, I think, have the mobility or the ability to deliver enough quality ball to cause Dublin's rearguard significant problems. The half forward line has been a major issue for years and there's nothing I can see which has resolved that. Realistically they have beaten Antrim, an aging Armagh, a "transitional" Mayo and Laois who Dublin have wiped the floor with already. The one half decent team they have faced in Monaghan wiped the floor with them.

Like I say I hope I'm wrong but that's the way I see it.They have learnt a lot from the Monaghan game but still Dublin by 5.

Gnevin

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 08, 2007, 04:45:00 PM
I would honestly love to see Derry win this one but I just can't see it.

They have the defenders capable of closing out Dublin's key men but around the "middle third" they just don't, I think, have the mobility or the ability to deliver enough quality ball to cause Dublin's rearguard significant problems. The half forward line has been a major issue for years and there's nothing I can see which has resolved that. Realistically they have beaten Antrim, an aging Armagh, a "transitional" Mayo and Laois who Dublin have wiped the floor with already. The one half decent team they have faced in Monaghan wiped the floor with them.

Like I say I hope I'm wrong but that's the way I see it.They have learnt a lot from the Monaghan game but still Dublin by 5.
It's hard to see Derry beating Dublin , Dublin are a level if not 2 above
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

marty88

Does any one no if any media links that will be covering this game on the day for someone outside of ireland?
"paddy bradley has got that killer instinct a forward wud commit murder for"- Mick O' Dwyer

southderryman

i cant see it being as big a margin as that.

really derry's half forward line of lynch murphy and muldoon (with gilligan pulling out too) had been perfroming quite well, my main concern with them is that all 4 lack genuine pace and this was badly exposed for laois's first goal when one wing half back ran half the length of the pitch to set up the goal for the other WHB

i hope that the derry forwards can work hard to stop dublin getting out so easily (colin devlin is great at this, he turned over a lot of ball against laois but paddy bradley leaves alot to be desired in this area) and prevent the dublin half backs getting a run on their derry counterparts.

i feel that our defence is strong enough to cope with dublin man for man, and if we can stick with them going into the last 15mins we have a real chance. i dont like skinner at all, but the more i think about the more this game seems tailor made for him to make a significant impact in the closing stages.