Derry v Dublin All Ireland Quarter Final

Started by SuperHans, July 29, 2007, 06:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Responses like Gnevin's are the main reason I would really love to see Derry beat Dublin too!

DUBSFORSAM1

There is a difference between turning the very small physically light Laois defenders over especially when they have no targets up front to kick the ball to and the Dublin defenders....They will also have a far harder time winning the ball and will be getting less quality ball than they did against Laois....

Laois still scored 2-11 against such a strong Derry defence and caused problems anytime they put a high ball into the full back line....which admittedly wasn't many times...and I would rate the Dublin forwards as a better forward line...

STREET FIGHTER

It's hard to see Derry beating Dublin , Dublin are a level if not 2 above

Have you been drinking son? Dublin v Laois was some of the sloppiest football played ive ever witnessed. Bring on saturday and we'll see who's on what level.

STREET FIGHTER

There is a difference between turning the very small physically light Laois defenders over especially when they have no targets up front to kick the ball to and the Dublin defenders....They will also have a far harder time winning the ball and will be getting less quality ball than they did against Laois....

Laois still scored 2-11 against such a strong Derry defence and caused problems anytime they put a high ball into the full back line....which admittedly wasn't many times...and I would rate the Dublin forwards as a better forward line...

Have you been drinking as well!?

DUBSFORSAM1

Street Fighter

Glad to see you can put some back-up to your theories!!!!

STREET FIGHTER

I think the result on saturday should clear this issue up.  I have no doubt that dublin have a good forward line but i wouldnt say better.  On their day both teams have a great forward lines with doire relying on bradleys frees and dublin relying on Vaughans, although i rate bradely as a better footballer and muldoon should he be deployed in the ff line.  i cant comment on colin devlin although i hope he rises to the challenge. all in all, think it will be a deadly match which will be won by the best forward line.

Will Hunting

There's no question about it - we're up against it on Saturday. A lot of people say the Dubs are hyped up to the hilt and not as good as they're made out to be. Yes, they're hyped up... but beneath all the bravado lies an excellent football team (albeit with a few weak areas), and they are more than capable of lifting Sam this year.

In the past few years I've watched some fairly dismal Derry performances (we all know the games i'm talking about). At various times I've wondered (and worried) about how we would fare against a team like Dublin in full flow at Croke Park come the business end of the Championship. Dublin especially, because they have what hurts us most, a pacy, potent attack; not to mention movement all over the pitch. Get off to a bad start and I can't see a way back for us.

However, despite these concerns I want to dwell on the positives we have in the build-up to this game. We are on as good a roll as we have been probably since 2001 when we could almost smell an All-Ireland appearance. The players are stepping up to the challenge. They've been strong and resolute when the backs have been up against the wall (Armagh, 2nd half v Mayo, 3 separate occasions against Laois). A hunger and desire to win games has been shown when other (recent) Derry teams would have folded. I believe we can win on Saturday. I don't have us as favourites (though 2/1 would be a lot closer to the real match up than 3/1), but we have the ability to hurt Dublin.

When Derry is mentioned, most journalists/pundits bring out the generic line about Muldoon and Bradley. But for me, Derry's greatest asset is their defence - especially the full-back line. Great defensive performances have laid the foundation for the qualifier victories. Dublin's key strength IMO is their full-forward line, with Keaney their most important and effective player. Derry can stifle them. Liam Hayes talks about Derry's A B and C, and while we should take what the Meath man has to say with a pinch of salt, he hasn't reckoned for a Derry defence that contains Kevin McGuckin and Michael McGoldrick, two excellent man-markers (along with Lockhart). Kevin McCloy's performance is vital to the defensive performance as a whole; it gives the team (and fans) a huge lift when he comes ploughing out of defence with the ball safely in his hands. However, Derry can't let him get dragged out to the wing positions. We've saw some full-back lines struggle when this has happened this season, namely Fay against Meehan of Galway, and Sheehan's goal for Laois against Derry came as a result of McCloy having been pulled out to pick up Donie Brennan on the wing. Another solid Derry defensive display can set us up for another victory.

Then it's up to the midfield and forwards to do the business at the other end of the field. We need more movement up here I feel. Our forward line has still looked fairly static in recent games, but Devlin has given us an extra dimension. He works tirelessly and is a headache for corner-backs, as well as giving us the freedom to play Muldoon elsewhere. Bradley needs to start making more runs, Lynch and Murphy have excelled in space in the past 2 games - we can't afford our attacks to hit a brick wall on the '40. Eoin Bradley is certainly a valuable option to have sitting on the bench. I can see him replacing Murphy who may only be fit for a good 40-45 mins. How fit Bradley is I don't know, nor do I know where the best place is to play him - probably the half-forward line.

The midfield conundrum speaks for itself (i.e. it's vital!). Shane Ryan is by far the most effective of Dublin's midfield pairing. Whelan goes missing during games (sometimes for a whole half!), but Ryan generally remains constant. He will run from one wing to the other to pick up Cluxton's generally accurate kick-outs. A quick pass to Cullen and Dublin are about to launch their attack. This is where it must be stopped, Gilligan and Lycnh need to work back tirelessly, with Murphy remaining on the 40' as much as possible to give Cullen someone to mark.

We can discuss player positions and tactics all day long only to see one team come out and win convincingly. I'm sure Crozier knows Dublin well enough to target their weak areas which could be key to any designs for a Derry victory. As I said at the outset, Derry have their weaknesses, and any supporters who know Derry well have seen enough inept performances to fuel various nightmares about the outcome of Saturday's game. But it is important that Derry come out full of confidence - knowing they can win; expecting to win (like v Tyrone in Healy Park, and v Armagh last month). If we can 'get into' Dublin right from the off and prevent them from building up this much-vaunted 'head of steam' we have the talent to win the game. Here's hoping!

INDIANA

on an overall basis i would rate dublin's forward line higher but i would feel individually in terms of raw natural talent bradley and mulddon are a cut above our forwards- the problem for derry is that i don't see what their other forwards are going to do. Hayes is right if i were dublin i would put 2 men on bradley because he has to have a massive game for derry to win.
Does any derry fan believe they'll win if bradley underperforms. of course they don't.

Hardy

I now pronounce you man and wife. You may kick the bride.

Gnevin

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 08, 2007, 05:00:32 PM
Responses like Gnevin's are the main reason I would really love to see Derry beat Dublin too!
Stop talking crap if you hate the dubs just say it you'll fit right in. In the last 3 years
Dublin have 3 provincial titles to  Derrys 0
Dublin have 3 AI 1/4 finals to Derrys 1
Dublin have 1 AI 1/2 final to Derrys 0
Dublin well beat Laois scoring 3-14 and up to the last 5 minutes where 8 points up ,Derry  Score 1-18 and  conceded  2- 11. Dublin had Laois well beat by the 40th minute Derry struggled .

Byt i guess none of that counts as a other level?

edit: Derrys appearance this year
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Graham Garrity

or just point her up the top of the stairs whilst you go out on a bender. 

Graham Garrity

My fear for the dubs this weekend is they will come up against a harder man than they have encountered all season.  I believe that its Paddy Bradleys turn to win that all star long denied to him. I also believe that the Dubs over celebrated their Leinster final victory both on and off the field. Derry have too much self respect to let that happen again.  Its a symbolic year for derry football and I fulyl expect them to humble the mighty dubs by about 8 points.   

fer fox ache

Dublin have 3 AI 1/4 finals to Derrys 0
Dublin have 1 AI 1/2 final to Derrys 0
Dublin well beat Laois scoring 3-14 and up to the last 5 minutes where 8 points up ,Derry  Score 1-18 and  conceded  2- 11. Dublin had Laois well beat by the 40th minute Derry struggled .

Assuming you are talking about  2004-5-6. Derry have both quarter-final and a semi-final appearance

Tankie

As i have said before, peopel cannot honest look at Derry and call them a better team, they lost to Monaghan, beat what appears to be a spent Armagh team and struggled to beat a poor Laois team. Yes they will give Dublin a tough test but i think it is only fair to say that the Dubs would be well fancied fav's to win.
Grand Slam Saturday!