Derry v Dublin All Ireland Quarter Final

Started by SuperHans, July 29, 2007, 06:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Drumanee 1 on August 08, 2007, 11:11:26 AM
dubsforsam you did not answer my question,who have dublin beaten outside of leinster since pilaar took over?

They have only played 2 teams outside Leinster and lost to Tyrone/Mayo....

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 08, 2007, 11:29:36 AM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 08, 2007, 11:00:09 AM
When Laois dropped back against Dublin it caused us a problem with the spare man but Cullen going forward to mark him also left a huge gap through the middle also.....
was that in the first 15-20 mins when Laois dominated the game and when Dublin abandoned the tactic they came back into it and kicked on from there?

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 08, 2007, 11:00:09 AM
His sweeping would eliminate most of the danger of the long ball into the Derry 2 man full forward line and I would be quite happy to see Derry try handpassing the ball up the pitch.......as I said this is only if Derry drop Lynch back to give them an extra defender...
yes
Laois tried that too against Derry.......... ;)

Did Lynch play as an extra defender v Laois?

It was in the first 15 mins when Laois were playing well as they were intercepting our long balls into the full forward line and this changed when Cullen went forward....however in the 2nd half Laois found it easier to get through the middle without any centreback and with only 5 defenders...

I know Laois tried that but Dublin have better defenders than Laois and a better midfield which means Derry won't have so much possession and ease of playing it through...

Not as much against Laois but he seemed to spend more times further back in previous games..

Drumanee 1

my argument being that derry have defeated these teams along with armagh in very recent times where as dublin have continued to fail against the top teams.yes westmeath may well of been happy winning a leinster title but it showed that overall the leinster c'ship is of lower standard to ulster which is the reason why derry have not won a ulster title but do well against the other top teams in the country.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 08, 2007, 11:35:25 AM
It was in the first 15 mins when Laois were playing well as they were intercepting our long balls into the full forward line and this changed when Cullen went forward....however in the 2nd half Laois found it easier to get through the middle without any centreback and with only 5 defenders...

I know Laois tried that but Dublin have better defenders than Laois and a better midfield which means Derry won't have so much possession and ease of playing it through...
Wouldnt agree about Laois midfield and some of the observations, but is all down to personal perspective I suppose.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Drumanee 1 on August 08, 2007, 11:40:17 AM
my argument being that derry have defeated these teams along with armagh in very recent times where as dublin have continued to fail against the top teams.yes westmeath may well of been happy winning a leinster title but it showed that overall the leinster c'ship is of lower standard to ulster which is the reason why derry have not won a ulster title but do well against the other top teams in the country.

Drumanee

Remind who knocked Derry out of the championship in 03, 05, 06....I could have sworn it was Leinster teams that have done so....Dublin, Laois, Longford....You beat an Armagh team that is seriously weaker compared to 02/03 and a Mayo team weaker than last years team....

INDIANA

i don't see all the hype regarding mark lynch quite frankly. for all the talk thre has been little delivery.
as regards who've we've beaten -derry lost to longford last year or did that escape your notice.

Drumanee 1

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 08, 2007, 11:58:47 AM
Quote from: Drumanee 1 on August 08, 2007, 11:40:17 AM

Drumanee

Remind who knocked Derry out of the championship in 03, 05, 06....I could have sworn it was Leinster teams that have done so....Dublin, Laois, Longford....You beat an Armagh team that is seriously weaker compared to 02/03 and a Mayo team weaker than last years team....

that does not get away from the fact that dublin have not beat a top team in recent times,derry have!

screenexile

QuoteRemind who knocked Derry out of the championship in 03, 05, 06....I could have sworn it was Leinster teams that have done so....Dublin, Laois, Longford....You beat an Armagh team that is seriously weaker compared to 02/03 and a Mayo team weaker than last years team....

With regard to Derry losing to Laois and Longford in the past 2 years... how much did Dublin beat these 2 teams by in the same years?????

DUBSFORSAM1

Screen....we beat both teams that is the difference in the same years that they beat Derry....

screenexile

Yeah you beat them by a solitary point.. hardly a case for sayin that you are much better than us!

QuoteYou beat an Armagh team that is seriously weaker compared to 02/03 and a Mayo team weaker than last years team....

I'll give you that Armagh were weaker but they were still a decent team. As for Mayo being a weaker team? How do you figure that one? 13 Players that figured against Kerry in the AIF played against Derry. AFAIK they were only missing the 2 corner backs whilst Nallen and Gardiner were both on the subs bench and not used.

his holiness nb

The argument over which province is strongest is a silly one.
From 2002-2005 there was no argument but now every argument has a counter argument.

For example Meath, who were knocked out at the 1/4 final stage of Leinster beat the Ulster champs.
Some might argue that means Leinster is stronger.

There can be all kinds of silly arguments for each side here, none worth entertaining.

Lets just wait for the games before declaring who the better sides are.
Ask me holy bollix

screenexile

Sounds good to me... not much more to be said now before the match I'm just counting down the hours at this stage. Whatever the result it should be a good game and a good atmosphere and as the man says "it's hard to beat a day out!"

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: screenexile on August 08, 2007, 02:50:19 PM
Yeah you beat them by a solitary point.. hardly a case for sayin that you are much better than us!

QuoteYou beat an Armagh team that is seriously weaker compared to 02/03 and a Mayo team weaker than last years team....

I'll give you that Armagh were weaker but they were still a decent team. As for Mayo being a weaker team? How do you figure that one? 13 Players that figured against Kerry in the AIF played against Derry. AFAIK they were only missing the 2 corner backs whilst Nallen and Gardiner were both on the subs bench and not used.

Where did I say we are much better than you??? I said I am confident we will be victorious....

Armagh still a decent team yes but still a lot weaker than they had been with McGeeney/McGrane/Marsden/McConville etc being far worse for example and also losing Bellew/Clarke etc took an awful lot out of them...their loss to Donegal have been proven to be a poor enough team

McDonald was a shadow of the player last year due to injury, McGarrity also out as well as their best defender in Higgins...they had been comfortably beaten by Galway who were themselves easily beaten in the championship...

Do you really believe that Derry will win?

Long time dead

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 08, 2007, 03:11:53 PM
Quote from: screenexile on August 08, 2007, 02:50:19 PM

Where did I say we are much better than you??? I said I am confident we will be victorious....

Armagh still a decent team yes but still a lot weaker than they had been with McGeeney/McGrane/Marsden/McConville etc being far worse for example and also losing Bellew/Clarke etc took an awful lot out of them...their loss to Donegal have been proven to be a poor enough team

McDonald was a shadow of the player last year due to injury, McGarrity also out as well as their best defender in Higgins...they had been comfortably beaten by Galway who were themselves easily beaten in the championship...

Do you really believe that Derry will win?

I do and it is that cockiness that will be Dublin's downfall.

lynchbhoy

no team can afford to be cocky/complacent
Derry and Dublin are both capable of winning (though Derry are eminently capable of losing too whenever the wind blows in a different direction - see lonford last year!)
Dublin will recall a similar cockiness last season before the mayo game...