Derry v Dublin All Ireland Quarter Final

Started by SuperHans, July 29, 2007, 06:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty88

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 07, 2007, 11:43:24 AM
Quote from: marty88 on August 07, 2007, 11:35:42 AM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 07, 2007, 11:30:38 AM
Loup....Nice seats!!!!!

Amazing listening to the Derry folk here that you would think that they had so many brilliant footballers and yet they can barely win a provincial game...if players are so good then they wouldn't have played 19 qualifier games because they are incapable of winning an Ulster match....

Your right, we're shite. We fluked it to get here, your goning to hammer us!

Marty - glad to see you can pick up something that isn't there...

No i think I got it spot on. U said that Derry people overate this derry team. I agreed by calling us shite and pointing out that we were lucky to beat the ulster champions and the connacht champions.

Following on from the us being shite, I perdicted that Dublin would beat us.
"paddy bradley has got that killer instinct a forward wud commit murder for"- Mick O' Dwyer

screenexile

QuoteNow let me do my maths....17 from 2007 leaves 1990....feed a corner forward on farts but did we not win 2 Ulster, 3 National Leagues and an All Irealnd from 92-98, I think you need to look at the crop of players from 2001-2007...want to reassess.

I know that Max but as a team throughout the 90's we had probably the best players in the country but only performed in 1993! If you want the classic example of my point it would be a Derry team full of class players getting beat by Peter the taxi driver and his merry band of back seat passengers in 1995!!!!!!!

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: screenexile on August 07, 2007, 11:52:01 AM

What's winning an Ulster match got to do with anything? It's common knowledge that the standard of Ulster football is better than any other province. The reason Ulster don't win more AI's is mainly due to team's having to peak too soon as witnessed over the last few years (Tyrone's exceptional 2005 run excepted) and given the fact that Leinster haven't appeared in an AIF since 2001 and even then Meath were humiliated... with Leinster's last AI title another 2 years before that you can hardly call the province competitive on a national level. I can't remember what happened last time Derry played the Leinster champions in an AIQF can you?

Anyway we all know that there is a serious difference between games played in May and games in August... teams can completely transform. As for your observation that "If our players are so good they wouldn't have played 19 qualifier games", it's common knowledge and a failing of Derry's over the last 17 years that we have a collection of individuals as talented if not more talented than other teams but for some reason when they are all thrown together they cannot seem to perform as well as say a team of average footballers playing to their collective strength.

As I have said before, this is what we will see on Saturday and why I think the Dubs will win!

Screen - Sorry I don't buy this idea that teams can be so full of talented players but that they are incapable of playing together...if they are talented they can play together if they are prepared to put the effort in and work hard etc....

Last time you played a Leinster champion was against Westmeath who were like Sligo on Sat they were just so happy to have won Leinster they didn't care after that....remember what happened last time you played Dublin and that was in Clones!!! Beaten by Longford last year, Laois the year before (if memory is correct)...

Anyway if as is expected both Ulster teams lose next weekend then for a 2nd year in a row Ulster will have no teams in the semi-final which would seem to indicate that the standard isn't the highest!!

Street fighter - I think you will find that in 03, 05, 06 it was Leinster teams that beat Derry in teh championship....and knocked them out...

Bogball XV

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 07, 2007, 12:27:18 PMthey can play together if they are prepared to put the effort in and work hard etc....
Maybe you're on to something there.

Black and white

i have ended up with a spare ticket, if anybody needs it pm me

Drumanee 1

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 07, 2007, 12:27:18 PM
Quote from: screenexile on August 07, 2007, 11:52:01 AM

What's winning an Ulster match got to do with anything? It's common knowledge that the standard of Ulster football is better than any other province. The reason Ulster don't win more AI's is mainly due to team's having to peak too soon as witnessed over the last few years (Tyrone's exceptional 2005 run excepted) and given the fact that Leinster haven't appeared in an AIF since 2001 and even then Meath were humiliated... with Leinster's last AI title another 2 years before that you can hardly call the province competitive on a national level. I can't remember what happened last time Derry played the Leinster champions in an AIQF can you?

Anyway we all know that there is a serious difference between games played in May and games in August... teams can completely transform. As for your observation that "If our players are so good they wouldn't have played 19 qualifier games", it's common knowledge and a failing of Derry's over the last 17 years that we have a collection of individuals as talented if not more talented than other teams but for some reason when they are all thrown together they cannot seem to perform as well as say a team of average footballers playing to their collective strength.

As I have said before, this is what we will see on Saturday and why I think the Dubs will win!

Screen - Sorry I don't buy this idea that teams can be so full of talented players but that they are incapable of playing together...if they are talented they can play together if they are prepared to put the effort in and work hard etc....

Last time you played a Leinster champion was against Westmeath who were like Sligo on Sat they were just so happy to have won Leinster they didn't care after that....remember what happened last time you played Dublin and that was in Clones!!! Beaten by Longford last year, Laois the year before (if memory is correct)...

Anyway if as is expected both Ulster teams lose next weekend then for a 2nd year in a row Ulster will have no teams in the semi-final which would seem to indicate that the standard isn't the highest!!

Street fighter - I think you will find that in 03, 05, 06 it was Leinster teams that beat Derry in teh championship....and knocked them out...

dubsforsam who have dublin defeated outside of leinster since pillar took over

burn the hurl

I can't understand this theory that Dublin are going to blow Derry away with superior power and fitness! ???
Yes, Dublin are a big side but Derry are notorious for being physically stong and this team is no different. Derry handeled themselves more than well against Tyrone last year, and Armagh and Mayo this year - all sides boasting strong teams. As for fitness - in this day and age most players in county panels are athletes in peak condition. Both sets of supporters have become blinkered when jugding who has got the most talented bunch of players - we'll know the answer to that on Saturday night! I think the Croke Park factor will be more against Derry's favour than the strength, fitness or skill arguments!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: burn the hurl on August 07, 2007, 04:07:24 PM
Both sets of supporters have become blinkered when jugding who has got the most talented bunch of players -
yep ..........Kerry have.

I also agree that croke park will make it a lot tougher for Derry than some other neutral venue would.
Still I bet all Derry fans and players would prefer a game at Croker!

Tyrone Dreamer

Supporters usually try to talk their team down in the run up to games, not the Dubs! Its not often supporters complain that their team arent being made hot favourites. I think there is the potential for 1 of the ulster teams to pull of a shock this weekend.

INDIANA

i would always talk dublin down because i'm not convinced by a lot of the players on the team having played agianst a lot of them. However i don't buy into this notion that Derry after years of mediocrity in the Ulster championship are all of a sudden world beaters.
I think the 2006/2007 Ulster championhips have been as poor as any other province and that the Ulster golden age has come to an end for a couple of years. People conitually give out about the Leinster championship's standards but some of the more cynical could also say that the fact that Derry and Monaghan are the two left standing from Ulster could be an indication of the slide in standards in the province as was Sligo winning the Connacht championship.

heurebag

2-13 to 1-12

derry to win, 4 points in it

paddy b to score 1-5

Tankie

Gotta agree with Indiana, i find to hard to believe that people who know what they are talking about would fancy Derry over Dublin, yes they have a chance but that is about it. As for Dublin hyping themselves up i do not believe there is a huge amount of belief that we will beat Kerry. I honestly believe that this years champions will be decided in the Dublin v Kerry game.
Grand Slam Saturday!

Bogball XV

Quote from: INDIANA on August 07, 2007, 06:42:29 PM
i would always talk dublin down because i'm not convinced by a lot of the players on the team having played agianst a lot of them. However i don't buy into this notion that Derry after years of mediocrity in the Ulster championship are all of a sudden world beaters.
In fairness to Derry Indiana, we've achieved exactly the same as Dublin in terms of All Ireland success since 2001, 2 semi-final appearances each, Dublin may have managed 3 successive Leinsters but what use have they been?  Provincial success is only an easier route to the quarters, and a few worthless baubles for the players (mind you I wouldn't have minded winning one!).
Quote from: INDIANA on August 07, 2007, 06:42:29 PMPeople conitually give out about the Leinster championship's standards but some of the more cynical could also say that the fact that Derry and Monaghan are the two left standing from Ulster could be an indication of the slide in standards in the province as was Sligo winning the Connacht championship.
Or they could say that it's because they were drawn to play last of the Ulster sides :P

mc_grens

QuoteAs for Dublin hyping themselves up i do not believe there is a huge amount of belief that we will beat Kerry. I honestly believe that this years champions will be decided in the Dublin v Kerry game.

YES!!!!

Its workin lads, its workin!

Sandy Hill

Any word on who the referee is for this game?
"Stercus accidit"