Watch out on the road tonight. Wide Load on the way to Croker

Started by Barney, July 12, 2007, 09:44:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Star Spangler

Jinxy I don't get where this is coming from;

QuoteLeinster is on the rise!

When Dublin are forced to pick the likes of Jason Sherlock in a starting position it's hardly an indication that things in Leinster are moving forward!

Jinxy

Whats wrong with Jayo? Dublin will be a better forward unit with him in from the start. You can't beat a bit of cuteness and experience. A Tyrone man of all people should know that!
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Star Spangler

There's nothing wrong with Jayo at all.  But he's not a better player than he was 10 years ago.  This would indicate that Dublin are as a good a team as they were 10 years ago but not any better.  I can't really see what it is about Leinster football that gives the impression that it's on the rise.

magpie seanie

QuoteSeanie, while agree that the point isn't absolute, it's not that long ago that our County Board - Mr Murphy was quite publicly saying exactly the same thing and was empahising that the use of the county's budget would reflect that.

Not 100% sure what you are saying but I think better resources are being put into underage football in the county than previously and not at the expense of the senior team. The new regime has cut down on wastage and is better at raising funds. All in all I'm a generally a believer.

Jinxy

Quote from: Star Spangler on July 13, 2007, 03:44:09 PM
There's nothing wrong with Jayo at all.  But he's not a better player than he was 10 years ago.  This would indicate that Dublin are as a good a team as they were 10 years ago but not any better.  I can't really see what it is about Leinster football that gives the impression that it's on the rise.

He actually is. He was a one-trick pony when he first came on the scene. He'd get a goal here and there but couldn't kick a point to save his life. Now he brings other players into the game and chips in with his fair share of scores as well.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

SLIGONIAN

The reggie piece was brilliant. To be honest its closest way I could describe the embrace I had with my Dad at the final whistle, tears of joy. My first championship game for supporting Sligo was 1989 and been to everyone since except NY this yr and Reggies first as kitman was 1989. As quinner said hes either overjoyed or really down 2 extremes and Im exactly that. Its very comforting that a man like that is so close to the team. The team is great hands. Reggie abu.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

paddypastit

That piece with Reggie was simply class.  He was the first person that I thought off when the whistle went last Sunday and all that everyone has said from Noel McGuire on is spot on.  I was looking at something there earlier that had Eamonn Coleman mentioned in it and seeing the Reggie clip - http://www.rte.ie/tv/theroadtocroker/video_av.html?2268752,null,243 if you haven't seen it - reminded me of the pair of them squaring up after a league match in Derry in 2002 - I think - over a few balls missing after the match.  We lost that day so he wasn't happy and Coleman wasn't happy either. It was funny because the two had obviously such a desire for theri county that they they were fit to bull each other over a ball that had gone over the fence. 

Seanie, on that point about the need for underage success, I don't think I made it very well.  Last year after the managerial meltdown, JM was heard to say that there was little prospect of immeninet senior success and that accordingly there would be no money going in that direction and that all of the effort and finanace would be put into the underage structure to build the next generation... then he got on board the manager that we should have got in the first place in '04 after our previous TM Cup centred managerial meltdown and the rest as they say... I would accept that underage success is not an essential requirement for senior success and time has certainly oft proven that it is not a guarantee.  That said, a healthy underage pipeline helps greatly.  Now if Sligo could work up those structures, and get a better cut out of the IT... people might stop liking us beacuse we'd be winning more regularly!!  On the wider point though about the regeime - I agree entirely and what impresses me most about it - both JM and TB is that they do what they have to do and don't dwell on those that can't or won't - no foools allowed thank you.  I'd be hopeful that the mandatory changes that kick in at exec level next year afford the Chair the opportunity to improve the leadership group further - Christ when ye think back... no let's not go there, not this week anyway!!!!

Reflecting back on last week, I don't think that TB has got enough credit for what he has done and also for the very quiet way he has gone about it - no media profile for himself and let the players take the limelight. He really has moulded old and new, committed and ambilavlent and created a really strong group - with no hype.

Finally on the subject of Jayo - Spangler will ye not be making a fool of yourself.  Sherlock is a way superior player now to waht he was 10 years ago and Dublin are a less cute and dangerous outfit without him.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Hound

Quote from: Jinxy on July 13, 2007, 03:51:35 PM
Quote from: Star Spangler on July 13, 2007, 03:44:09 PM

He actually is. He was a one-trick pony when he first came on the scene. He'd get a goal here and there but couldn't kick a point to save his life. Now he brings other players into the game and chips in with his fair share of scores as well.
That is correct. He's not a great point scorer (tho he chips in), and he's no Brian McGuigan. But with his pace and skill he can still leave a defender for dead, and most importantly he's a very intelligent footballer, great at creating space for himself and others and great at linking up play. In my opinion he's capable of turning a rabble of individuals into a cohesive unit. 

Hound

Quote from: Hardy on July 13, 2007, 11:46:10 AM
Isn't it better than listening to platitudes from Tony Davis, cliches and waffle from McStay and drivel from Bernard Flynn? He has opinions. I might disagree with 50% of them, but they're his opinions and he states them. I thought his analysis of Tyrone-Monaghan and possible tactics was very interesting. Could you imagine Tommy Lyons doing it? His stuff about Declan Browne transferring to another county was shite, though.
I'd agree with that. I love to listening to Brolly and O'Rourke, especially when they're together, as I find them very entertaining. I've never fund McHugh entertaining, but perhaps he was during the week.

Hound

Just watched the program that is the subject of this thread.

I enjoyed it. I thought Des was very good. The piece about Reggie was great, brought a tear to the eye of this sap. The analysis was good and I enjoyed the short interview with Brogan Ma and Da. There were a few laughs throughout the program, and because they were genuine and not pre-planned or staged, you couldnt help laughing along.

Declan

Even the Kerry boys want to be Dubs now!!! - In preparation for Thursday

By Billy Keane
Tuesday July 17 2007

My Superman's phone box was the Snug in The Palace and I emerged dressed in blue from head to toe. I was a Dub for a day.

My head was full of what a Dub should be. Me, Anto from Monto, approached the henna tattooist outside The Bank Of Ireland on College Green.

He assured me it would come off in a week. But what if I was to be stigmatised at Killarney Races as result? I baulked. But the good reporter always asks the hard questions.

And yes, Dublin women do wear blue knickers on match days. It's all on camera for The Road to Croker on Thursday at eight on RTE 1.

The camera draws all sorts.

I was cheered by a group of junkies sitting on those same Georgian steps the ascendancy often mounted in the days of the Raj.

We had the great good luck to run into a mother, a truly beautiful young woman on a terraced side street. She was tall, graceful and elegant and it dawned me there's not much difference between us and youse. She had a lovely blonde child in one hand and a packet of Mikado's in the other for HT tea.

We made out The Hill 16 Bar. There were hundreds of Dubs cordoned off behind bars. One Laois man remarked "it was the right place for 'em" .

I was getting a bit nervy now. What if I came across a band of gurriers out for a bit of Culchie bashing. Mata Hari was shot at dawn. My cover was blown by an Indo reader but I need not have worried.

I was joined by Dinky, after the small cars. Dinky told me he was a doctor. He was cutting down the beams in the attic of the Royal College of Surgeons.

A group of Carlow supporters walked by intheir distinctive red, green and yellow jerseys.

"Come on ye Rastafarians" shouted Huggy. The Dubs sang the new Carlow anthem "No Woman, No Crime".

I had 'em all singing The Barney Song. We all hugged Huggy.

Some fella taunted the passing Laois parade with a chant of "your sisters are your mothers".

But there was nothing really vicious in it. The Dubs just like winding people up. They're not against anyone, just up for Dublin. And the Laois boys laughed it off.

But it wasn't all Dublin in the Rare 'Oul Times.

A parking tout hassled my cameraman and minder Michael Foley. Some guy tried to grab the camera, unsuccessfully. We stopped off at the barriers on Jones Road to get our faces painted.

I was now Anto the Cherokee I fulfilled a lifetime ambition when I shouted out "Last few choc ices and ripe bananas" in fluent Dub. I was allowed to sell scarves by Linda and scrounged a fiver for a flag off a corporate boxer who made every euro a prisoner.

There were dogs and horses outside the Hill and police dressed for the worst, I started to sweat up a bit. It was the first time I stopped yapping all day. I had a vision of the Dublin jersey draped across my coffin before the high altar in St Mary's parish church in Listowel.

The Hill was as blue as a desert sky.

The noise was overwhelming. We were up at the top and not far to go before vertigo set in. I cheered my heart out for the Dubs. The canny cameraman Michael even suggested I might be suffering from Stockholm Syndrome but there's an old Bantu saying "never insult the crocodile's mother before you cross the river".

Laois scored a great goal and The Hill, as my hero Con Houlihan put it, "was as quiet as Knocknagoshel on a Good Friday". Then the Dubs goaled and we were knocked over by friendly fire in the ensuing madness. "Come on you boys in Blue" started up.

Ten thousand as one, except one. I just couldn't synchronise the choreography between the finger pointing and the clapping.

But I got away with it. The uniform transforms you. You dress as a Dub, therefore you are a Dub.

Even when I spoke in a Kerry accent most people didn't even pick up on it.

I checked the toilets at half time. Plenty of soap, hot water and towels but no coke.

There were a few dopeheads going a bit mad in the food area but nothing too bad, even though the First Aid man told me he was very busy over on the other side of the Hill.

This girl of about 15 was getting shifted by a lad of about 17. They were both doped up. She didn't know where she was. Anything could happen to her. It was very sad.

Later my cover was blown when I roared 'Up the Kingdom' after the second Brogan goal. The boys mam, Marie is a neighbour.

There was a little bit of tension but it soon passed after a chorus of "get the culchie off the hill."

Michael diverted attention when he put the camera ona young lad kissing a girl.

"I hope she's your moth," immediately quipped Pronto beside me. But I was never in any great danger. They were nearly all good lads. Ninety nine per cent. Stereotyping be damned.

And would I go back? Most certainly. Sorry . . . deffo.

mick999

Why do RTE not allow watching "the road to croker " on line from overseas ??? >:(

I can see why they are not allowed to show live matches as setanta have the overseas rites  ...but interviews and pre-match analysis ??? And all I get is "Due to copyright restrictions, you are unable to access this content"

It doesn't make any sense !! You can watch the rte 9 o-clock news with the gaa highlights online, but not this !!

Kerry Mike

From Clarinbridge this week.

Billy Keane was on goggle box with Des Cahill just now and it showed him on the Hiill last Sunday dressed head to toe in blue (the fecking traitor). But it was a good report and fair play to him for having the craic and risking life and limb on the hill  :P

Anyway when he was rumbled as a Kerryman, one of the Jackeens on the hill says to him , "ah jaysus go way you with your 33 All Irelands"  And Keane says to him "Actually its 34 Irelands now"  Tis always good to put a jackeen back on his hole.

Alan Kerins the hurler is on now. He is doing in great work still in Zambia.

Brendan Cummins and Davy Fitz reminissing about 1997. Fitz is an annoying little bollix. Fecking Leahy missed a sitter at the end shooting straight at Davy.

Jamsie O'Connor and John McIntyre about the Hurling championship so far and the furute of hurling , Antrim and Galway to Leinster says Jamsie , No says McIntyre its only to prop up the failing Leinster championship, Alan Kerins says it would be a benifit plus more games in Croke Park.

2 weeks in and I think its a very good show, well done RTE , its not often we give them some credit.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

ONeill

Holy Jaysus KM you must have missed the first 10 mins - surely the flagship moment of the whole series.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Kerry Mike

2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football