Started by ONeill, June 25, 2007, 11:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over the Bar

Square Ball

Tyrone by a point in the 2 min of injury time
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Shrewdness

aontroim

Unfortunate that yet again a talented Derry squad are robbed of at least a chance of a replay in another big game after the Cork debacle a few years back.  Doubtful Tyrone will offer a replay, so it's now up to Derry to push on and win through the back door.

Denn Forever

According to RTE, Derry management are protesting over a point that was given but common consenses was that it was wide>  Good luck to them.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Louth Exile

When they have had a chance to see the replay and think about I would hope that Tyrone do the decent thing and offer a replay. It would be very bad form if they didn't
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

tyroneboi

Quote from: Louth Exile on July 15, 2007, 05:56:26 PM
When they have had a chance to see the replay and think about I would hope that Tyrone do the decent thing and offer a replay. It would be very bad form if they didn't

never have i heard of any team offering a replay when there is a disputed point. they are still in the competition at the end of the day. as jerome quinn said on bbc, it is rare for those sort of appeals to succeed and i wouldnt expect this one to either.

J70

Quote from: tyroneboi on July 15, 2007, 06:03:58 PM

never have i heard of any team offering a replay when there is a disputed point. they are still in the competition at the end of the day. as jerome quinn said on bbc, it is rare for those sort of appeals to succeed and i wouldnt expect this one to either.

Wasn't there an Leinster senior match about ten years ago where Laois or someone offered a replay over a point that wasn't?

As with all these incidents though, where do you draw the line? What about the square ball or overcarrying goals that we've seen quite a few times this season, including Dublin's first goal today?

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: J70 on July 15, 2007, 06:15:21 PM

Wasn't there an Leinster senior match about ten years ago where Laois or someone offered a replay over a point that wasn't?

As with all these incidents though, where do you draw the line? What about the square ball or overcarrying goals that we've seen quite a few times this season, including Dublin's first goal today?

Laois offered Carlow a replay after winning by a point - one of the points was shown to have gone the wrong side of the post. Laois won the replay comfortably - but I guess they knew they would anyway - the underdog normally only gets one bite at the cherry.

As for today - it sounds like two very evenly matched teams. In a perfect world, Tyrone would offer a replay. We don't live in a perfect world though, and if Armagh were in the same position, I would be dead against a replay being offered, with the distinct possibility of the title being lost!

That's tough on Derry - hopefully they can use the injustice to their benefit later.

Congrats to Tyrone by the way.

oakleafgael

Bummer,

I could mention Daisy McDermott and the goal in the dark at Casement Park. Whataboutery aside, all things being fair Derry would be offered a replay. I dont expect it to happen nor am I sure if the show was on the other foot would I be in favour. Im just glad that Derry get another chance as we were the better team on the day in my opinion. Some nice prospects on both teams.

The real villian in the piece here is the incompetent umpire. I didnt see the incident clearly myself but having talked to people who seen it on t.v. Im not a happy camper. It could maybe be forgiven if the "point" had been above the posts but it was barely above the bar and couldnt have been anymore than 5 feet above the umpires head. I thought that the officials at this level would be of a higher standard, we dont expect Pat McEneaney doing umpire but at the very least a man that can judge if a shot has went over the bar or not.

Tyrone Dreamer

Tyrone didnt appeal when they had 2 men sent off in the 05 ulster senior final that were later over turned or when the Redmond didnt go of after being sent off in the 95 final. Nobody offered a replay then and i dont think Tyrone will be offering one now. There are many 50 50 calls in a game and you have to take the rough with the smooth. Is there proof the point actually was wide at this stage or are Derry just presuming cause one of the umpires initially signalled wide? Dont see how a replay would benifit either team as they are both in the quarters and may have to play again in the semis.

oakleafgael

Dreamer,

I think that there is very clear t.v. evidence that it went the wrong side of the post about 10 feet above the ground.

Norf Tyrone

Clearly wide.
It's a hard one to make fair, as teams could ask for replays for every single little incident in a game.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

clarshack

take yer beating derry - always cryin and whingin about something.

The Real Laoislad

Laois played Carlow again back in the '90's after a Laois point was givin and it had gone wide
You'll Never Walk Alone.