Ulster Minor Final - Derry v Tyrone

Started by ONeill, June 25, 2007, 11:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bailestil

Couldn't see it from where we were sitting but never even knew it was disputed until after the game. Only realised something was up when Minor Management were going crazy at linesman for some reason. (obv that was it)

Realistically Tyrone should have won far more comfortably. Derry got cleaned out at midfield non-stop without a single change being made!

Only to move the best player(Kielt) into Full-Forward when no ball was even going in!

The defence was again fierce, pity the management insist on such negative play when they have plenty of good forwards.

Derry's Full Back line were awsome, Mckinney and McWilliams, mopped up everything.

Tyrone's Midfield in Particular #9 from Ardboe were a class act.

Bogball XV

Don't see that it makes much difference who wins Ulster, think they'll probably meet again in the All Ireland semi (if they're as good as is made out), and I also think Derry should give it up - sure use it as motivation for the next time.

bailestil

yeah i don't the benefit in an appeal. Would just mean another game with both teams neither any further down the line.

As you say bog, if Derry are going to go on and win it, they're gonna have to beat teams like Cork anyway.
There's no way the appeal will succeed anyway.

pintsofguinness

QuoteThe real villian in the piece here is the incompetent umpire. I didnt see the incident clearly myself but having talked to people who seen it on t.v. Im not a happy camper. It could maybe be forgiven if the "point" had been above the posts but it was barely above the bar and couldnt have been anymore than 5 feet above the umpires head. I thought that the officials at this level would be of a higher standard, we dont expect Pat McEneaney doing umpire but at the very least a man that can judge if a shot has went over the bar or not.
Sure there was a similar incident a couple of years ago when Armagh minors played Monaghan I think? 
I can't remember exactly now but I think a clear armagh point was put down as a wide, the match was a draw, armagh didn't appeal but won the replay.
A joke that something similar can happen again!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

GalwayBayBoy

Just seen it on telly. Shocking decision. The ball wasn't even that high. At least when the ball is sent high over the top off the post it can sometimes be difficult to tell but this one was clearly wide and only about a yard over the crossbar.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Had it happened  in the last few minutes an appeal would be more understandable, and in any case it has no chance of going anywhere. Perhaps it's more for the appearance of defending the players. The truth is that Derry weren't good enough to outscore that point, they were totally outplayed in the 2nd half, and only for poor Tyrone shooting they'd have been hammered. As my Derry brother-in-law might say, they should take their oil!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

It'd be great motivation for Doire if they accepted it and then used it to get that extra dander up. Derry and Tyrone will meet again. The best 2 minor sides around.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

omagh_gael

just seen on sunday game that its impossible to have a game replayed due to a wrong decision in terms of giving a point that was wide! so derrys protest is pointless, prob will meet again l8r in the summer anyway

Maguire01

Sounds like Derry being sore losers to me. If the 'point' had been the winning point at the end of the match, it would have been different. Coming in the first half, it's pretty irrelevant.

ONeill

If the game had ended in a draw, would Derry have appealed?

Tyrone Dreamer

A replay wont do anyone any good. I actually think that if the teams meet at the semi stage it will be Tyrone who will take the extra motivation from todays events. Derry have created a big fuss which in some way has taken away from Tyrones victory, which will be used to fire the Tyrone boys up if they meet again. Perhaps if Derry hadnt played 7 defenders throughout the match theyd have got enough scores to win.

Red Nose Red Hand

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 15, 2007, 11:00:32 PM
Sounds like Derry being sore losers to me. If the 'point' had been the winning point at the end of the match, it would have been different. Coming in the first half, it's pretty irrelevant.
How would it have been different? Regardless of when it happened, it made the difference between winning and drawing, full stop!
Quote from: ONeill on July 15, 2007, 11:04:20 PM
If the game had ended in a draw, would Derry have appealed?
Probably not, because they would still have the opportunity to win the Ulster title, which is all they are seeking now.

Tyrone should claim the higher moral ground and offer a replay. Why should we fear a team everyone on this forum are convinced we should have beaten convincingly in any case? If we don't offer the replay and meet them later in the series, they will surely have a huge incentive to gain revenge.
Have all the posters who are saying they should accept the result considered how we'd feel tonight had the shoe been on the other foot?

ONeill

Quote from: Red Nose Red Hand on July 15, 2007, 11:19:43 PM

Have all the posters who are saying they should accept the result considered how we'd feel tonight had the shoe been on the other foot?

Both teams are in an All-Ireland Quarter Final - the exact same stage.

You're setting a dangerous precedent here. What if a square-ball had been given when cameras proved it wasn't? What if a goalkeeper was adjudged to step over the line yet we see later he didn't? Mistakes are made (as in Derry/Cavan '97) but you get on with it. Luckily, now, the losing finalists are afforded a second chance.

mournerambler

I think its time the GAA took a more youthful approach to match day officials.I may be wrong this time but in general i would say that most umpires would be of mature years & not having 20/20 eyesight,which should be a basic requiement for such an important role in any inter-county fixture.

tbrick18

I havent seen the game or the point in question but I wouldnt be overly surprised if a replay was ordered.
With the number of issues taken to the Disputes Resolution Committe over thing like suspensions and video evidence, there is every possibility the same could be done here.
I've read some people saying Derry should just use it as motivation....the players would want an Ulster title every bit as much as the Tryone players do. You couldnt blame then for feeling hard done by if the point was so obviously not a point.
Difficult one to call and I know in the past nothing would have happened, but as I said in this day and age when solicitors are handling these sort of things for players and teams anything could happen.