Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

I wasn't refering to porto's total history, just the period when Chelsea were so called a top European club. This is the 3 trophy period was talking about - 2 uefa cups and a CL.

In that period Liverpool v Chelsea the record is:

1 CL winner & 1 runner up V 1 runner up. That's the stat I'd refer to first and foremost. 

magpie seanie

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on June 01, 2011, 06:44:20 PM
Quote from: Bingo on June 01, 2011, 05:33:14 PM
Quote from: deiseach on June 01, 2011, 05:19:33 PM
Quote from: Bingo on June 01, 2011, 04:18:18 PM
Quote from: deiseach on June 01, 2011, 03:50:03 PM
Quote from: Bingo on June 01, 2011, 03:37:01 PM
I don't think Chelsea have been close to been one of the top teams in Europe, in England yes, but in Europe they've been consistently average.

Chelsea have been as far as the CL semi-final in 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008 and 2009. If that's average, what's above average?

Actually winning those semi's on a consistent basis, not just the once. Top teams win finals, not make the semi's.

As Norf Tyrone says, does that mean Porto, Liverpool and Inter were better teams than Chelsea over that period?

In some seasons they were and some they weren't. Wasn't it the case that in something like 6 CL matches V LFC, that chelsea scored 1 goal? By the way, I don't think any of those teams were top European teams over the same period but they all achieved alot more than Chelsea. In fact with 3 European trophies, Porto's record puts Chelsea's to shame.

Chelsea have had zero luck in the Champions League over the years. There was one or two years they would've been without doubt deserving winners, but that means nothing.

2004- Monaco score with a handball.
2005- The ghost goal (I know, I know)
2006- Drogba's dismissal in Camp Nou and Frisk gate
2007- Losing on penalities
2008- Where Ferdinand should've been sent off and Chelsae hitting the woodword 2 or 3 times.
2009- Overbo and the four penalty claims (I can guarantee that if the roles were reversed that night, or if it had've been one of the G12 affected there would've been more of a hue and cry about that night.2010- The penalty that should've been for Kalou in the Nou Camp and the subsequent red card (Brazilian IM defender whose name escapes me).
2011- The penalty that should've been for Ramires at the Bridge, and an offside goal at Old Trafford.

Now that's not to say that in every year we deserved to win it, nor did we deserve to win all the games highlighted, but it does illustrate the absence of luck and the need for it to with any cup, never mind the CL.

Chelsea's head to head record v Liverpool is better for the record.

Chelsea 0 Liverpool 0
0-1
0-0
0-0
1-0
0-1
1-1
3-2
3-1
4-4

Chelsea P10 W3 D5 L2 F12 A10

Also for the record, as you've got that wrong too, Porto have 5 European trophies, not 3.

Not sure about all of those but the one highlighted is undoubted. It was just crazy that night. Sympathy for Chelsea will always be in short supply though because of Abramovich.

Carmen Stateside

Had to get this thread out of the fourth page.
Wazzas hair transplant seems to be working well

ross4life

I can't get my head around the hair transplanting business could he not go bald gracefully like Peter Canavan?

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Carmen Stateside

Cant understand myself.  Whats the big deal with being bald anyhow?  Had to be a bet or something.

Bingo

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on June 07, 2011, 12:30:38 AM
Cant understand myself.  Whats the big deal with being bald anyhow?  Had to be a bet or something.

I'd have no doubt its his marketing people/agents advising him to clean up his imagine/act as they try to relauch brand Rooney after his stressful year!

AQMP

Quote from: Bingo on June 07, 2011, 10:12:39 AM

I'd have no doubt its his marketing people/agents advising him to clean up his imagine/act as they try to relauch brand Rooney after his stressful year!

Can we look forward to a shaven headed Ryan Giggs this time next year, then??

DuffleKing

Talk of the Ashley Young deal being tied up for 16m. I'm not sure about the value there.

Bingo

Quote from: AQMP on June 07, 2011, 10:15:32 AM
Quote from: Bingo on June 07, 2011, 10:12:39 AM

Can we look forward to a shaven headed Ryan Giggs this time next year, then??

"Ryan Giggs Yoga 2:Keeping calm when cheating"

Sure to be a big stocking filler at christmas.

nrico2006

Quote from: DuffleKing on June 07, 2011, 10:22:18 AM
Talk of the Ashley Young deal being tied up for 16m. I'm not sure about the value there.

I think Young will prove to be a very good buy.  £16 million is the kind of money you would expect him to go for.  When you look at what Carrick was bought for or what Henderson is being flouted for, then this looks a great bit of business.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

gawa316

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 07, 2011, 10:39:40 AM

I think Young will prove to be a very good buy.  £16 million is the kind of money you would expect him to go for.  When you look at what Carrick was bought for or what Henderson is being flouted for, then this looks a great bit of business.

Think he only has a year left on his contract though.

Good player all the same

Doogie Browser

Young is another sexual deviant so should fit right in at Utd.

nrico2006

Quote from: gawa316 on June 07, 2011, 10:59:48 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on June 07, 2011, 10:39:40 AM

Think he only has a year left on his contract though.

Good player all the same

If he only has a year left then £16 is steep, you would be thinking more along the lines of 5 to 8 million.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

ross4life

Jones is a good signing, having seen him play for Blackburn a few times he's a big talent! maybe 17m is a bit much for a 19 year old but he'll be worth it the long run.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open