Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AQMP

Well done Utd...I thought they were just the better team over the two games.  Chelsea were better last night esp in the first 30 mins and whenever Drogba came on but nowhere near good enough to win this competition.  Giggs confirms the old adage that the game is played with the head as much as the feet.

However MU will need to improve substantially to threaten Barcelona, RM...or maybe even Schalke/Inter

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on April 12, 2011, 10:53:09 PM
Couple of things;

* Firstly well done to United. Probably the best team over the two legs.
* Despite my point above, Chelsea have been woefully unlucky in Europe again. The 'penalty' last week, and the 'goal' this week. In fact the two frees leading to the goal weren't frees either. Sometimes you have to earn your luck though.
* Formation was better for Chelsea tonight, and needs to be the way going forward for this season.
* Ramires is going to be a star, and was a wee bit unlucky tonight.
* Ryan Giggs. 78 years old, and yet player of the tie. What a c**t.
* What the f**k was Nani at coming out of the tunnel? Holding fingers up or some shit?

Something I should add to above. United's goal was not offside. The was no daylight between the players. However the two frees leading to the goal were not frees. IMVHO.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Denn Forever

Surprised that Chelsea didn't target Ferdinand.  He was limping from about 10 minutes in.  Brought on Drogba too late.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

NAG1

Suprised how comfortable United were over the two legs, bar a bit of pressure for a period in each was totally dominant and at times looked easy. Wonder why they can do this to them in Europe but would never look so comfortable against them in an EPL game.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: NAG1 on April 13, 2011, 11:30:10 AM
Suprised how comfortable United were over the two legs, bar a bit of pressure for a period in each was totally dominant and at times looked easy. Wonder why they can do this to them in Europe but would never look so comfortable against them in an EPL game.

Would you really think United were 'comfortable'? Don't think there was much in it. United edged it, had the breaks and were more clinical in front of goal. Certainly not comfortable. Anelka had two screamers in the first half that had VDS beaten and were CMs from goals!

thebigfella

The boy's on sky last night reckon Drogba is off at the end of the season. I reckon he'd be a great signing for Utd ;)

IMO when fit he's the best striker in the premiership and has been for the last 3 or so years.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: thebigfella on April 13, 2011, 12:08:10 PM
The boy's on sky last night reckon Drogba is off at the end of the season. I reckon he'd be a great signing for Utd ;)

IMO when fit he's the best striker in the premiership and has been for the last 3 or so years.

Why would Chelsea sell him to United?
Marseille will be his next destination I'd say.

CountyMan

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on April 13, 2011, 12:24:02 PM

He will go to madrid for 10-20 million.

new devil

Or maybe Marseille for 5-40 million

David McKeown

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on April 13, 2011, 10:52:05 AM
Couple of things;

* Despite my point above, Chelsea have been woefully unlucky in Europe again. The 'penalty' last week, and the 'goal' this week. In fact the two frees leading to the goal weren't frees either. Sometimes you have to earn your luck though.
* Formation was better for Chelsea tonight, and needs to be the way going forward for this season.
* What the f**k was Nani at coming out of the tunnel? Holding fingers up or some shit?

Something I should add to above. United's goal was not offside. The was no daylight between the players. However the two frees leading to the goal were not frees. IMVHO.

That interoperation about a requirement for clear daylight was removed years ago was it not?  Is the interpretation not now that you are offside if any part of your body which can legally score a goal is closer to the goal line than any part of the penultimate defensive player. Therefore Utds first last night was offside. That said Terry should have been off and IMO so should Lampard.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

thebigfella

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on April 13, 2011, 12:24:02 PM

They probably wouldn't want to but has he not only one year left on his contract? If Chelsea are getting rid, he could potientailly buy out his final season and join whoever he likes.   

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on April 13, 2011, 10:52:05 AM
Couple of things;

There is no "daylight" rule. If any part of the body that can be legally used to score is past the last defender, it's offside.

ross4life

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on April 13, 2011, 12:02:42 PM

Would you really think United were 'comfortable'? Don't think there was much in it. United edged it, had the breaks and were more clinical in front of goal. Certainly not comfortable. Anelka had two screamers in the first half that had VDS beaten and were CMs from goals!

Two screamers? more like two pop shots that didn't trouble VDS

From the moment Rooney scored in the 25min in SB United never looked in any danger of going out! so it was comfortable & TBH Marseille in the last round gave us fans more scary moments.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

GalwayBayBoy

Chelsea could easily have had a couple of goals in the first leg. Could even have had at least one more last night. Guess because they didn't take their chances it felt comfortable but had they taken at least one of those chances somewhere along the line it would have been a far sweatier last 30 minutes last night.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: ross4life on April 13, 2011, 01:45:38 PM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on April 13, 2011, 12:02:42 PM

Two screamers? more like two pop shots that didn't trouble VDS

From the moment Rooney scored in the 25min in SB United never looked in any danger of going out! so it was comfortable & TBH Marseille in the last round gave us fans more scary moments.

If they had've went in how would you have described them?

United would've looked in more danger had Chelsea had the penalty go in their favour in the first leg, Evra was missing from the second leg, and the opening United goal chalked off in the second leg.

United deserved to go through. No arguments, but it would've been interesting to see how it would've panned out should those decisions had of went the way they should've.