Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

full back

Quote from: mrsandman on April 08, 2009, 10:51:31 AM
hes streaks ahead of any other winger we have.

What other wingers are there?
Park  :-\

magpie seanie

Quote from: mrsandman on April 08, 2009, 10:28:55 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on April 08, 2009, 10:21:01 AM
Quote from: mrsandman on April 08, 2009, 10:14:42 AM
Quote from: EC Unique on April 08, 2009, 10:05:51 AM
Anyone know how far away Berbatrov is? If we have him and Rio available for next Wednesday night I think we have a good chance of going through as long as Fergie does a bit of 'hair drying' at the Midfield and defence.

I think he'll be available for saturday, although Fergie admitted Evans misses this saturdays game. Ferdinand is needed, need a bit of a cool head along with Vidic, evans was missed when he went off. Hairdryer is definitely needed. A start for Macheda could be in line..

I thought Evans was rubbish last night and has been poor for a few weeks.

Well if you watch the games you'd see different, hes been a revelation all season. Vidic on the other hand has had a dip in form..and discipline.

What do you mean by that?

Evans has played quite well for United this season up to the last few weeks and last night he was poor. If you think he played well last night say so but I'd strongly contend you are wrong. Hugely at fault for the first goal and on a good few other occasions early in the game. Looked nervy on the ball too which hasn't been the case all year. Not saying he is a poor player but he's defintely off form in the last few weeks.

As for your comments about Ronaldo - it shows a really poor understanding of the game. Doing a minimal amount of tracking back and closing down doesn't stop him scoring goals. If he spent less time on his hole with his arms in the air it would be more in his line. There are basic minimum standards expected from United players and in some regards he is falling below these. I've seen him meet these standards in the past and also produce the fireworks so why not now?

Just to take Keyser Soze up on his point - do I understand so that if someone is successful they are never questioned? OK. That's the kind of thinking that has ended up with a global recession of epic proportions.

EC Unique

Quote from: full back on April 08, 2009, 10:12:29 AM
Anyone know how far away Berbatrov is?

Not far enough IMHO

Wouldnt start him even if fit next week
Would start with Rooney & Tevez up front
With Ronaldo being lazier than usual last night, I dont think we can carry Berbatov as well against a very energetic & attacking minded Porto team

I would not start him either but he would be a great option on the bench. According to sky sports Rio will not be fit this weekend and Evans looking doubtfull too so we will have a back 4 the same as finished the game last night :-\

I hope I'm wrong but the wheels are getting loose :o

mrsandman

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 08, 2009, 11:01:07 AM
Quote from: mrsandman on April 08, 2009, 10:28:55 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on April 08, 2009, 10:21:01 AM
Quote from: mrsandman on April 08, 2009, 10:14:42 AM
Anyone know how far away Berbatrov is? If we have him and Rio available for next Wednesday night I think we have a good chance of going through as long as Fergie does a bit of 'hair drying' at the Midfield and defence.

I think he'll be available for saturday, although Fergie admitted Evans misses this saturdays game. Ferdinand is needed, need a bit of a cool head along with Vidic, evans was missed when he went off. Hairdryer is definitely needed. A start for Macheda could be in line..

I thought Evans was rubbish last night and has been poor for a few weeks.

Well if you watch the games you'd see different, hes been a revelation all season. Vidic on the other hand has had a dip in form..and discipline.

What do you mean by that?

Evans has played quite well for United this season up to the last few weeks and last night he was poor. If you think he played well last night say so but I'd strongly contend you are wrong. Hugely at fault for the first goal and on a good few other occasions early in the game. Looked nervy on the ball too which hasn't been the case all year. Not saying he is a poor player but he's defintely off form in the last few weeks.

As for your comments about Ronaldo - it shows a really poor understanding of the game. Doing a minimal amount of tracking back and closing down doesn't stop him scoring goals. If he spent less time on his hole with his arms in the air it would be more in his line. There are basic minimum standards expected from United players and in some regards he is falling below these. I've seen him meet these standards in the past and also produce the fireworks so why not now?

Just to take Keyser Soze up on his point - do I understand so that if someone is successful they are never questioned? OK. That's the kind of thinking that has ended up with a global recession of epic proportions.

I mean when he went off we conceded a goal which should have been headed away but instead JoS flicked it to the back post, IMO Evans would have cleared or at least marked the man Neville came across to challenge. Ok maybe he wasnt as good for most of the game but i fell he would have dealt more with this that o'shea.

As for me having a poor understanding of the game...using big words and phrases to describe, doesnt make you sound any more knowledgable of football to me,  when he falls on his hole 7 times out of ten he is fouled and doesnt get the free because of his reputation, and altogether in a game id say he doesnt spend anymore than 3/4 mins in total on the ground (Just a guess), i don' see why he can be blamed for the poor form of the team, when he pulled us out of a hole on saturday, and although he hasnt regained the form of last season he is still doing well enough. Take away his goals and assists and we would be in a much poor position.
Its the same every time United are in poor form, blame Ronaldo, blame berbatov bacause they didnt stop the oppostion from scoring a simple goal and although they are scoring its their fault for not keeping a clean sheet.
VDS has been terrible at times this season but he doesnt get slated. For example we were 2-1 up last night and he threw a quick kick out which was almost lost, the man has the potential to be a walkin timebomb. Sometimes heroic sometimes devastating.
Ok Ronaldo does playact quite a bit but he does earn frees in great positions, like last night in the last kick..which should have been taken by him IMO.
As for fireworks, well i think 2 goals with backs to the wall Vs Villa wasnt too bad.
Constipated People Don't Give A crap.

Keyser soze

[/quote]

MS, you're [ahem] overreacting to what i said, the thrust of which was - when things are going well posters should refrain from hyperbole, when things are not going so good try not to be over critical.  

EC Unique

QuoteSir Alex Ferguson has admitted Manchester United paid the price against Porto for the 'gamble' he took by opting to play just 48 hours prior to the UEFA Champions League tie.

United boss Ferguson had the option of taking on Aston Villa in the Premier League last Saturday but he chose to arrange the televised encounter for the Sunday, with a demanding international break in mind.

The Red Devils triumphed over Villa but struggled on Tuesday night when they took on Porto at Old Trafford in the first leg of their Champions League quarter-final tie.

The fixture ended in a 2-2 draw and Ferguson has conceded the result means the European champions have a "difficult" task ahead at Estadio do Dragao.

He said in The Sun: "We showed tiredness because of the gamble I took playing Sunday which was not the best preparation.

"But we faced a situation and we took the best option hoping a European occasion would bring the adrenalin up."

Ferguson added in The Guardian: "I was tempted to get Villa moved to the Saturday.

"However, we had so many players on international duty in places like Bolivia, Rio de Janeiro and Korea, involving some very long and tiring journeys, I thought it best to go with Sunday."

Ferguson also rued his team's defending on the night, with his depleted back four suspect on both goals.

The Scot added: "It shows the fragile nature of our defence at the moment."

At least he realises part of the problem :-\

full back

The wheels are loose indeed EC, hope the feck we can turn it around (for the PL at least)

Big game against Sunderland who are fighting for their PL survival.
Rather than worry about the defence I would prefer if the midfielders got their fingers out & worked harder to ensure we arent exposed.
When you see Roony & Tevez back tackling in defence it shows a lot of the other players up for the lazy b4stards that they can be.

Never thought I would see the day when players in Fergie's teams get complacent & dont earn their salt

magpie seanie

Quote from: Keyser soze on April 08, 2009, 11:19:49 AM

MS, you're [ahem] overreacting to what i said, the thrust of which was - when things are going well posters should refrain from hyperbole, when things are not going so good try not to be over critical.  
[/quote]

I can only answer for myself and think I'm fairly consistent. When you lump everyones opinion in together you can come up with anything you want I suppose.

QuoteOk Ronaldo does playact quite a bit but he does earn frees in great positions

I don't know what to say about that but it strikes me as wrong (not incorrect, but wrong if you get what I mean).

mrsandman

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 08, 2009, 12:14:12 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on April 08, 2009, 11:19:49 AM

I can only answer for myself and think I'm fairly consistent. When you lump everyones opinion in together you can come up with anything you want I suppose.

QuoteOk Ronaldo does playact quite a bit but he does earn frees in great positions

I don't know what to say about that but it strikes me as wrong (not incorrect, but wrong if you get what I mean).
[/quote]

Aye i know what you mean, but if it means winning then im all for it..other players do the same but because there not foreign they dont get slated. example Stevy G
Constipated People Don't Give A crap.

A Daintier Hero

Quote from: The GAA on April 08, 2009, 10:47:59 AM

You can't blame neville for the goal - he had to tuck in.

evans was very poor i thought - he has an infuriating habit of backing off into his own box when being run at.

CRonaldo continued his poor attitude of the last 2 months. gone in the summer.

Fergie is gonna have to take a gamble on a weakened team on saturday against sunderland because he now needs a full strength and firing team in porto next wednesday. i don't think they'll go through.

Ronaldos staying, too many boys on his back, he still does what he does well..score important goals namely 2 against Villa. Hes not a defender, nor a defensive midfielder, his sole purpose is attacking, setting up and scoring goals, and as long as he continues that he is of benefit. Get off his back, hes streaks ahead of any other winger we have.

Sure he is... ::)

mountainboii

Quote from: A Daintier Hero on April 08, 2009, 12:33:21 PM
Quote from: The GAA on April 08, 2009, 10:47:59 AM

You can't blame neville for the goal - he had to tuck in.

evans was very poor i thought - he has an infuriating habit of backing off into his own box when being run at.

CRonaldo continued his poor attitude of the last 2 months. gone in the summer.

Fergie is gonna have to take a gamble on a weakened team on saturday against sunderland because he now needs a full strength and firing team in porto next wednesday. i don't think they'll go through.

Ronaldos staying, too many boys on his back, he still does what he does well..score important goals namely 2 against Villa. Hes not a defender, nor a defensive midfielder, his sole purpose is attacking, setting up and scoring goals, and as long as he continues that he is of benefit. Get off his back, hes streaks ahead of any other winger we have.

Sure he is... ::)

Its a lot more possible that he'll stay than most think. Realistically there's only one alternative destination - Madrid, no one else will pay the silly money needed to get him (except maybe Man City, but there's not much chance of Fergie letting him head there). There are plenty of reasons for Madrid, and Ronaldo himself, to decide that its not a good deal (which it won't be, for either party).

A Daintier Hero

But it is clear from his body language that he is not happy.

Do you not think maybe as boy he always looked at Madrid as the dream club to be playing for? And given his egotistical demeanor he won't be happy until he is a 'Galactico'

magpie seanie

Quote from: A Daintier Hero on April 08, 2009, 01:45:20 PM

Do you not think maybe as boy he always looked at Madrid as the dream club to be playing for? And given his egotistical demeanor he won't be happy until he is a 'Galactico'

I actually think he doesn't want away at the moment. I think the lad is as thick as pigshit and has mad notions about himself. I'd say he thinks that as "World Player of the Year" he should be getting preferential treatment. Worryingly, it seems Ferguson panders to or at least tolerates this. Its hard to predict how it will end up with him but I don't care so long as he gets the finger out in the remaining games this season.

mountainboii

I just can't see why any of the top players in the world would want to go to Madrid at the minute. The club is run like a circus, domestically Barcelona have a clear upper hand on them, and on the European scene they have become an also-ran.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: AFS on April 08, 2009, 01:53:18 PM

I just can't see why any of the top players in the world would want to go to Madrid at the minute.

Arguably the biggest club in the world or certainly well up there. Would pay you a fortune. Fantastic lifestyle and climate in a great city. Yeah why would anyone want to go there?