Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

Quote from: Over the Bar on September 14, 2008, 03:19:39 PM
United have started the season in poor form so Liverpool requiring the help of an own goal at Anfield to beat them isn't much for anyone to get carried away about, but is like an FA Cup final win to Liverpool and thankfully will keep Bentiez in a job for another while.  Despite playing crap united should have got at least a draw.   It took a hugely uncharacteristic mistakes by Giggs for a Liverpool player to score a first goal against united in the league since Danny Murphy. 

Ferguson's criticism of everyone bar Rio was a bit unwarrantd, particualrly since Carrick controlled midfield until he got injured.  No doubt Fergie's words were intended to give a shoe up the backside prior to Chelsea next week.   

Anyway it's only 3 points and theres still 105 to play for.  We always slip up once a season against a diddy-team so hopefully that's it out of the way this year.

Good enough post and I stil lexpect Untied to win the league but to suggest Carrick was bossing midfield is madness.

J70

United have started the season in poor form so Liverpool requiring the help of an own goal at Anfield to beat them isn't much for anyone to get carried away about, but is like an FA Cup final win to Liverpool and thankfully will keep Bentiez in a job for another while. 

Bitter much? :D

I don't think many sensible Liverpool fans will be getting carried away. To be honest, even if we had drawn. I would have been quite content, given the passion, the effort and, not least, the width that was present in Liverpool's play. These had all been completely absent from Liverpool's play so far this season, so it was reassuring to see that the team could raise themselves out of their lethargy. The key thing is to reproduce all the good elements of yesterday's performance from now on.

Despite playing crap united should have got at least a draw. It took a hugely uncharacteristic mistakes by Giggs for a Liverpool player to score a first goal against united in the league since Danny Murphy.  

Well they didn't deserve a draw. And United have left Anfield on quite a few occasions with all of the points, mostly undeserved, being gifted to them by Liverpool defensive errors.

Ferguson's criticism of everyone bar Rio was a bit unwarrantd, particualrly since Carrick controlled midfield until he got injured.  No doubt Fergie's words were intended to give a shoe up the backside prior to Chelsea next week.  

He might have controlled midfield for the first fifteen minutes. Liverpool were generally on top in that sector after that.

Anyway it's only 3 points and theres still 105 to play for.  We always slip up once a season against a diddy-team so hopefully that's it out of the way this year.

Slip-up against a "diddy-team"

Yes, that's all it was. :D

And yes, you'll probably win the league, or at least be within a couple of points of Chelsea.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 13, 2008, 08:21:07 PM
QuoteIn fact he should have got a red for the first challenge it didn't matter that the Donkey(Rio) was supposedly gonna catch Keane even though i doubt he would have the challenge itself warranted a red

OK - so a clearly stated rule does not matter if YOU want someone sent off. There's no arguing with logic like that.

Go away and enjoy the win and stop the silliiness.

Why did you choose to ignore the bit where i thought it deserved a red on its own merit,the fact that Vidic wasn't the last defender didn't matter
The challenge itself IMHO deserved a red it didn't matter that there was someone behind Vidic..If it had happened further up the field i would think the same...
And yes little maggie I certainly am enjoying the win  ;D
You'll Never Walk Alone.

J70

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 14, 2008, 03:49:06 PM
United have started the season in poor form so Liverpool requiring the help of an own goal at Anfield to beat them isn't much for anyone to get carried away about, but is like an FA Cup final win to Liverpool and thankfully will keep Bentiez in a job for another while.  Despite playing crap united should have got at least a draw.   It took a hugely uncharacteristic mistakes by Giggs for a Liverpool player to score a first goal against united in the league since Danny Murphy. 

;D

Irrespective of the current topic, that photoshop is class!

Over the Bar

full back

Disappointed with the result but more disappointed with the performance. Utd showed a distinct lack of will to win & passion, especially in the second half.
Berbatov looked like he was out for a f**king stroll at times when the ball came in to him.
Fergie is again playing Rooney wide on the right, a position that doesnt suit him at all IMHO.
Although at the time I would have said take the money for Ronaldo, we can replace him, its looks as though he is a massive loss. Not only for what he does on the ball, but the panic (on occasions) he creates in the oppositions defence, or when teams have to get 2 players to cover him, hence allowing space for other players.

Need to get our fingers out soon. Chelsea & Arsenal are playing good football & getting results. Utd will not be able to catch both them if they slip too far behind

Hound

Quote from: full back on September 15, 2008, 08:52:32 AM
Berbatov looked like he was out for a f**king stroll at times when the ball came in to him.
That's the way he always plays. Great touch, great ability, but likes other people to do the running for him.

In fairness to him, he did superbly in setting up Tevez for the goal, and after that received feck all service, while Carragher and Skrtel both played really well and made it very difficult for him.

While Liverpool had gotten on top towards the end of the first half, the critical mistake made by Ferguson was bringing on Giggs rather than Hargreaves. The 2nd half central midfield battle of Alonso/Mascherano vs Scholes/Anderson was totally one sided.

bingobus

Word on Radio this morning is that AIG are the next financial house under pressure as they have been badly exposed on the Mortgage market. I'm sure United would have little bother replacing but at the same level of sponsorship as before? Doubt many United fans would be sad to see the back of them after the Munich disaster incident.

magpie seanie

QuoteWhile Liverpool had gotten on top towards the end of the first half, the critical mistake made by Ferguson was bringing on Giggs rather than Hargreaves. The 2nd half central midfield battle of Alonso/Mascherano vs Scholes/Anderson was totally one sided.

100% correct Hound. Can't believe there were Liverpool fans who wanted rid of Alonso and who want Gerrard to play centre mid. Alonso/Mascherano is about as good as you can get.

QuoteWord on Radio this morning is that AIG are the next financial house under pressure as they have been badly exposed on the Mortgage market. I'm sure United would have little bother replacing but at the same level of sponsorship as before? Doubt many United fans would be sad to see the back of them after the Munich disaster incident.

I hope thats true. It was disgusting what they did with the logo on the memorial.

Barney

Viva Ronaldo
Viva Ronaldo
Running down the wing
Hear United sing
Viva Ronaldo

Lads, are we up for the game tonight?

Minder

Quote from: Barney on September 17, 2008, 10:01:17 AM
Viva Ronaldo
Viva Ronaldo
Running down the wing
Hear United sing
Viva Ronaldo

Lads, are we up for the game tonight?

I hope you dont boo him tonight.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

full back

Utd have be playing poorly since the beginning of the season.
Hopefully the return of Ronaldo will kick-start the season. Berbatov may get his finger out after Saturdays performance. Mind you Europe should suit him better as the pace is slower against the continental teams.
Would be happy with a 1-0 tonight

Over the Bar

QuoteBerbatov may get his finger out after Saturdays performance.

Oh wind your neck in FFS

a) It was his first game

b) He had only joined the squad 24 hours earlier

c) It was a Liv-MAnU Derby

d) He was being marked by Jamie Carragher at his most charged up of any game of the season and IN ANFIELD!

What do you expect a MOTM performance from Berbatov with a hat-trick?  ::)

full back

Excuse me for having an opinion FFS ::)

As I said before Berbatov signed I didnt/dont think he will suit Utd's style of play.
From what I seen on Saturday, he slowed the play down & was looking too much time on the ball.
Utd have carried a 'lazy player' who is exceptionally talented, can we carry two players?

magpie seanie

I don't expect you'll hear a lusty version of "Viva Ronaldo" tonight or for a few weeks to come but the boy has made his apologies for his head fart over the summer so hopefully any booing would be from the opposition as usual.

United really need to pick it up from the abject displays so far. The trouble lies in central midfield. With Carrick out Hargreaves is needed but how is his fitness and if he plays tonight how will he be for facing the rent boys at the weekend? A win is really needed and if Ronaldo's return will create space for others. I think United will just get home tonight. Team selection will be very interesting though.