Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Boycey on August 09, 2016, 12:52:24 PM
Rooney remains a problem alright but one that's not simply solved, as long as he's there he'll probably be played. It's hard to see how him and Zlatan fit into the one team?

We still have no experienced old head centre back, Bailly seems to be a good ball player but is undoubtedly going to take time to get up to speed in the Premier League. Currently United are one injury away from Phil Jones starting. It also looks as if Valencia is going to be 1st choice right back - hardly ideal. Jose has got the 4 targets he wanted but I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple in and a couple out over the last 3 weeks of the transfer window.

I don't have an issue with Valencia starting right back, he's improved over the last 2 years and has had good games against the best left wingers in the league.

I do think we'll sign a centre half, I thought I heard Fonte's name mentioned the last week and its a signing that would make sense.

Pogba's best position is as the furthest forward in a midfield 3 which is currently Rooney's position. I'd like to see a midfield 3 of Carrick/Herrera/Pogba in the big games.

Boycey

I've no big problem with Tony V but if he's ahead of Darmian who's a natural right back, Darmian should be sold and another right back brought in who challenges him for the spot. Fosu Mensah is a possibility there but ultimately he not gonna be a right back.

Seen Fontes name alright, Wes Morgan is another alternative. They definitely could do with a good journeyman pro..

Joses said Rooney won't play midfield so if he plays, and he will, it leaves Zlatan, Martial, Mkyatryan and Rashford for the other 2 'forward' spots..

oakleaflad

Quote from: Boycey on August 09, 2016, 01:18:51 PM
I've no big problem with Tony V but if he's ahead of Darmian who's a natural right back, Darmian should be sold and another right back brought in who challenges him for the spot. Fosu Mensah is a possibility there but ultimately he not gonna be a right back.

Seen Fontes name alright, Wes Morgan is another alternative. They definitely could do with a good journeyman pro..

Joses said Rooney won't play midfield so if he plays, and he will, it leaves Zlatan, Martial, Mkyatryan and Rashford for the other 2 'forward' spots..
Itl be a 4-2-3-1 with Rashford the one to miss out in most games.

BennyCake

Quote from: grantwool on August 09, 2016, 09:43:47 AM
With Zlatan and Pogba in, the upcoming season looks promising for Man Utd.

Things began to look positive when LVG was sent packing.

Maroon Manc

Pogba suspended for Sunday because of a booking he picked up in the Coppa Italia final, thats a new one on me. I doubt he'd have started anyway although I'm sure he'd have been on the bench.

heganboy

Mata starts without a ringing endorsement from Jose
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Milltown Row2

Quote from: heganboy on August 14, 2016, 01:55:10 PM
Mata starts without a ringing endorsement from Jose

And scores... All good
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GJL

grantwool

Quote from: BennyCake on August 11, 2016, 09:53:23 PM
Quote from: grantwool on August 09, 2016, 09:43:47 AM
With Zlatan and Pogba in, the upcoming season looks promising for Man Utd.

Things began to look positive when LVG was sent packing.

I just hope everything will be positive this season.

Maroon Manc

Good start to the season; Bailly looks good although he'll make mistakes this season but I wasn't expecting him to be so good on the ball, Fellaini had one of his better games although Rooney again was poor; It was a decent finish for his goal but other than that his all round game was disappointing. Zlatan on a free is looking like a brilliant bit of business.

Dinny Breen

QuoteZlatan on a free is looking like a brilliant bit of business.

That's the £10m a year free transfer...
#newbridgeornowhere

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 15, 2016, 11:06:33 AM

Probably more dinny. Buying a player of his quality would cost tens of millions.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Maroon Manc on August 15, 2016, 11:27:21 AM

Probably more dinny. Buying a player of his quality would cost tens of millions.

10 years ago definitely not now for a soon to be a 35 year old man. The business of sport is weird as in football clubs should not be making profits but not should be making losses either. So in that sense Man United can well afford him so his cost to Man United could be in terms of loss of time in developing Rashford and even Martial. Just think like RVP short term thinking could cost Man United long term.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

I don't think Mourinho cares about long term, but as a fan would see it, he's going to win the title for them.

NAG1

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 15, 2016, 11:40:40 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on August 15, 2016, 11:27:21 AM

10 years ago definitely not now for a soon to be a 35 year old man. The business of sport is weird as in football clubs should not be making profits but not should be making losses either. So in that sense Man United can well afford him so his cost to Man United could be in terms of loss of time in developing Rashford and even Martial. Just think like RVP short term thinking could cost Man United long term.

I think it might be a bit early to do the comparison but I think even in terms of giving the younger players a top quality player role model bit like Eric did for the younger players when he was there.