Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haranguerer

So you're saying its no big deal that a penalty wasnt given because Utd deserved to win? That makes no sense

thebigfella

yep I think that's what he is saying

magpie seanie

Paddy Crerard wouldn't be known among United fans for getting things right.

EC Unique

Quote from: haranguerer on March 27, 2012, 09:44:33 PM
So you're saying its no big deal that a penalty wasnt given because Utd deserved to win? That makes no sense

What I'm saying is that the best team won on the night, get over it and move on.

Clown

The last game at OT Evra fouled Odemwingie in the box but that wasn't given

Just to the people who continually point to one match in October which evened out the whole seasons decisions

magpie seanie

There's no need to point to one match in October - both teams on Monday night were denied the same number of legitimate penalty claims*. That's in the same game.

If you need to rationalise United's success over the years as being down to refs and conspiracies with the FA or whoever then God help you. United have had plenty of bad decisions against them that probably cost them trophies in recent years (pens not given in FA Cup semis v. Pompey and Everton) and the famous Drogba offside goal at Old Trafford spring to mind.

* United's one was more a pen than the Essien one city got the previous week. Most people thought the Essien one was a stone wall pen (though myself I'm not happy with all these pens given when the ball hits a guys hand).

screenexile

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 28, 2012, 02:11:12 PM
There's no need to point to one match in October - both teams on Monday night were denied the same number of legitimate penalty claims*. That's in the same game.

If you need to rationalise United's success over the years as being down to refs and conspiracies with the FA or whoever then God help you. United have had plenty of bad decisions against them that probably cost them trophies in recent years (pens not given in FA Cup semis v. Pompey and Everton) and the famous Drogba offside goal at Old Trafford spring to mind.

* United's one was more a pen than the Essien one city got the previous week. Most people thought the Essien one was a stone wall pen (though myself I'm not happy with all these pens given when the ball hits a guys hand).

You can't have your hands raised away from your body in the box when you're blocking a shot. A more clear cut penalty you will never see in your life.

Talk about blinkered it's probably the most nailed on penalty you'll see all season!

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 27, 2012, 09:56:31 PM
Paddy Crerard wouldn't be known among United fans for getting things right.

Paddy Crerand = United's Phil Thompson.

magpie seanie

Quote from: screenexile on March 28, 2012, 03:09:37 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on March 28, 2012, 02:11:12 PM

You can't have your hands raised away from your body in the box when you're blocking a shot. A more clear cut penalty you will never see in your life.

Talk about blinkered it's probably the most nailed on penalty you'll see all season!

Not an afficionado on the rules of soccer so very much open to correction on this but I have always been under the impression that for it to be a hand ball it needed to be intentional. I don't see how it can be intentional when a ball is smashed against your arm (as you are looking the other way) on its way to row z but there you go.

To say it's "probably the most nailed on penalty you'll see all season" is simply not true even though it's highly likely to be given in most cases.

Tony Baloney

BennyCake

Heard a radio discussion earlier, and someone said the player United have missed most this season has been Vidic! I don't think they have missed him at all. I forgot he was still at United. Jonny Evans and Rio have formed a decent partnership in his absence.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 29, 2012, 10:03:06 PM
How does he keep a straight face?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17550030
Man City early form is irrelevant, he's stating the obvious throughout that link.

StGallsGAA

United get all the controversial decisions at OT of course, like Drogbas mile offside goal 2years ago that gifted the title to Chelsea, not to mention Ronaldos stonewall penalty v Portsmouth that denied them the treble in 2008.

The Worker

Quote from: StGallsGAA on March 30, 2012, 08:09:20 PM
United get all the controversial decisions at OT of course, like Drogbas mile offside goal 2years ago that gifted the title to Chelsea, not to mention Ronaldos stonewall penalty v Portsmouth that denied them the treble in 2008.

Is that the same game Macheda handballed a goal?

EC Unique

Currently 1-3 to Sundland in the city game :o