Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clown

A quick run through of that United team yesterday tells me it cost around £150m to assemble
you would think with the crying some are doing on here that it was built with youngsters and free transfers FFS, all of which were United fans as boys of course!

J OGorman

Quote from: Clown on October 24, 2011, 04:22:55 PM
A quick run through of that United team yesterday tells me it cost around £150m to assemble
you would think with the crying some are doing on here that it was built with youngsters and free transfers FFS, all of which were United fans as boys of course!

That's not the point that's being made. Utd (and I'm far from being a Utd fan) have assembled a team of foreign imports, homegrown players, academy players etc. A squad built over many seasons, added to here and there when the money and a player of good enough standard was available. Until those shysters from the US arrived, did Utd not live within their means? Were they not operating in the black?  Over the years they have splashed out on the likes of Ferdinand, Rooney etc, you have to to compete, but they did it with what their revenue from an achieved global brand allowed, that is the envy the world over and the benchmark for other top table teams. Their team yesterday did cost over £100M, just a t**ker's chuff more than Man City's sub bench right enough

On the other side,in comes a multi-billionaire, buys a new squad, who win the FA in the first year of being togethr, and now look likely to win the premier league (hammering Utd @ Old Trafford in the process) in their second year, making a mockery and a farce of the league in my opinion...I realise that predicting City will win the league is conjecture, but its very likely. The league has always been very weighted towards a few teams, esp with Sky sports coming along and spreading its wealth not too evenly. We seen it with Chelsea, but with City, its a whole new 'ball game'

Like most men folk in Ireland, I was reared watching the english soccer, still travel to Anfield every year, though its more of a weekend away than for the matches. It was always the GAA and soccer for me, but now its the GAA and rugby much more so. Christ, feel absolutely free to disagree with my opinion but offer an opinion rather than a one sentence pot shot. Be interested to know how others feel on this issue

Dinny Breen

Quote from: J OGorman on October 24, 2011, 05:06:52 PM

That's not the point that's being made. Utd (and I'm far from being a Utd fan) have assembled a team of foreign imports, homegrown players, academy players etc. A squad built over many seasons, added to here and there when the money and a player of good enough standard was available. Until those shysters from the US arrived, did Utd not live within their means? Were they not operating in the black?  Over the years they have splashed out on the likes of Ferdinand, Rooney etc, you have to to compete, but they did it with what their revenue from an achieved global brand allowed, that is the envy the world over and the benchmark for other top table teams. Their team yesterday did cost over £100M, just a t**ker's chuff more than Man City's sub bench right enough

On the other side,in comes a multi-billionaire, buys a new squad, who win the FA in the first year of being togethr, and now look likely to win the premier league (hammering Utd @ Old Trafford in the process) in their second year, making a mockery and a farce of the league in my opinion...I realise that predicting City will win the league is conjecture, but its very likely. The league has always been very weighted towards a few teams, esp with Sky sports coming along and spreading its wealth not too evenly. We seen it with Chelsea, but with City, its a whole new 'ball game'

Like most men folk in Ireland, I was reared watching the english soccer, still travel to Anfield every year, though its more of a weekend away than for the matches. It was always the GAA and soccer for me, but now its the GAA and rugby much more so. Christ, feel absolutely free to disagree with my opinion but offer an opinion rather than a one sentence pot shot. Be interested to know how others feel on this issue

It's the same model though, City have just accelerated theirs. It's professional sport, romance died in the English game once Sky entered the arena. 
#newbridgeornowhere

Boycey

Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 24, 2011, 05:14:02 PM

It's the same model though, City have just accelerated theirs. It's professional sport, romance died in the English game once Sky entered the arena.

How is it the same model Dinny?

Clown

Blackburn, Chelsea and Man United have all bought titles in their time

City have taken it to a new level

Canalman

May be me but it seems from watching MOTD every week that there seems to be way more empty seats at games than a few years ago.
Don't know if the stats back this up or not.

Mate of mine, a big soccer head told me that the hammering Arsenal got from MU earlier in the season was the death knell for the EPL as we know it.

Bingo

Quote from: Canalman on October 24, 2011, 05:22:56 PM
May be me but it seems from watching MOTD every week that there seems to be way more empty seats at games than a few years ago.
Don't know if the stats back this up or not.

Mate of mine, a big soccer head told me that the hammering Arsenal got from MU earlier in the season was the death knell for the EPL as we know it.

I just got in at the end yesterday but judging by the empty seats the attendence must only have been 30-35k at best  ;)

laoislad

Quote from: The Worker on October 23, 2011, 11:05:42 PM
Quote from: ross4life on October 23, 2011, 05:37:01 PM
Quote from: The Worker on October 23, 2011, 03:00:28 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 18, 2011, 10:10:03 PM
Quote from: The Worker on October 18, 2011, 09:39:06 PM
city will win at OT this weekend.

They are a good price 13/5

Might take some of that

I hope you followed my advice  ;)

Well done the worker, TBH law of averages you were going to get one right eventually..

On a scale of 1-6 how pissed off are you with todays result?

:D

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Jonah

Really embarrassing result for us yesterday but I could see it coming.
Norwich should have got a point off us,we were blessed to beat Chelsea 3-1 and really Liverpool should have beaten us comfortably.
I can't see United winning the league this year at all.

screenexile

To be honest JO I couldn't give a fiddlers about the Premier League I only comment on it to make a mockery of supposed 'fans' who take it too seriously.

It is interesting and entertaining at times but it wouldn't get my blood up or anything. People take a notion of 'supporting' Man Utd and then they suddenly feel they are better than you just becasue they made a meaningless decision. There is nothing stopping me from becoming a United 'supporter' in the morning. It's a bit of a joke! Very few people outside of Manchester can have a legitimate claim or reason for supporting United and the fact that their 'supporters' take it so seriously completely baffles me.

Compare that to the GAA or even Rugby. Munster, Leinster, Ulster and Connacht all have home grown players that have come through the school system and live amongst the supporters. In the GAA it's your school friends, your family playing for the teams. Manchester United and any other team for that matter lost their identity long long ago yet people will still fight with good friends over United losing a game!

ross4life

Quote from: laoislad on October 24, 2011, 06:05:40 PM
Quote from: The Worker on October 23, 2011, 11:05:42 PM
Quote from: ross4life on October 23, 2011, 05:37:01 PM
Quote from: The Worker on October 23, 2011, 03:00:28 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 18, 2011, 10:10:03 PM
Quote from: The Worker on October 18, 2011, 09:39:06 PM
city will win at OT this weekend.

They are a good price 13/5

Might take some of that

I hope you followed my advice  ;)

Well done the worker, TBH law of averages you were going to get one right eventually..

On a scale of 1-6 how pissed off are you with todays result?

:D

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

stew

Quote from: ross4life on October 24, 2011, 11:42:23 AM
When talking about defensive problems i'm surprised no mention of Evra here yet (our did i miss) for the best part of year now he's been the weakness in the United backline & yesterday was no different, first three goals all came from his side & the last three he was gone AWOL! City's full backs were excellent yesterday Nani,Young weren't given a inch while Silva was given the freedom of Old Trafford.

Evra looks apathetic and I wouldnt start him until he decides he is going to put in an honest 90 minutes work, hell if he can walk out on his Coach at the WC finals a la Keano he can sure as hell cash in a check for putting forth a half arsed effort that is way, way below what you would expect from a player of his calibre.

Silva was brilliant on Saturday, absolutely ruled the roost.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

ballinaman

Quote from: stew on October 24, 2011, 06:26:45 PM
Quote from: ross4life on October 24, 2011, 11:42:23 AM
When talking about defensive problems i'm surprised no mention of Evra here yet (our did i miss) for the best part of year now he's been the weakness in the United backline & yesterday was no different, first three goals all came from his side & the last three he was gone AWOL! City's full backs were excellent yesterday Nani,Young weren't given a inch while Silva was given the freedom of Old Trafford.

Evra looks apathetic and I wouldnt start him until he decides he is going to put in an honest 90 minutes work, hell if he can walk out on his Coach at the WC finals a la Keano he can sure as hell cash in a check for putting forth a half arsed effort that is way, way below what you would expect from a player of his calibre.

Silva was brilliant on Saturday, absolutely ruled the roost.
Was Keane not sent home? .....................................................................................:D

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Boycey on October 24, 2011, 05:14:56 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 24, 2011, 05:14:02 PM

How is it the same model Dinny?

Cherry picking the best players in the EPL from other English clubs with ridiculous offers of cash so simultaneously strengthening your squad and weakening your rivals , how this wealth is obtained doesn't matter imho  -  Rooney, Ferdinand, Berbatov, Jones, Smalling, Valencia, Carrick, Nasri, Clichy, Barry, Milner, Toure, Adam, Lescott etc etc. and bringing in expensive imports Anderson, Nani, De Gea, Aguero, Dezeko, Toure, Silva etc etc 

Man United have had time to pick up bargains such Hernandez and develop them but Man City don't have that luxury. Man City thanks to their wealth and just copying a proven model for Man U and Chelsea. 

Just find it funny that anyone can criticise Man City for "buying the title"....

City are playing the best football in EPL much better than that awful stuff Man United threw out last year, good on em I say..
#newbridgeornowhere

muppet

I don't particularly like what City are doing. At least United, Arsenal & Liverpool have a tradition of developing players to lure players with. City just have the money.
MWWSI 2017