Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armamike

Hard to know where to start to get them back competing.  On the face of it there's few players there that are worth keeping.  Over 400 mill spent since summer 2022 - a lot of which was spent on players past their peak or other who simply didn't warrant the fee and weren't proven.  Players who should have been shipped out years ago are still there, which only festers negativity. Bonkers.  Get rid of Ten Hag and who do you replace him with.  Take a gamble on the Brighton manager or someone else who hasn't proved it at the very top level?  Groundhog Day.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Blowitupref

Quote from: AustinPowers on November 02, 2023, 10:08:23 AMIt's amazing it took Liverpool 30 years to win the  title again.  Liverpool had  some  duff managers and players in that time , but I don't think they were ever  in such dire shape as united have been  in recent years

This year will be 11 since United won  the league .  The way things are going ,  a 30 year gap might not seem so outrageous

Ten Hag had a free  hit last season. Now it's on him, and even though  there are still dead wood there, it looks  like  he's just not up to  it, to be honest.

How was it a free hit last season? Don't think it's a job that gets any honeymoon period.

For a lot of that 30 years Liverpool weren't a league title contender it was about a reasonable league finish and picking up the odd cup trophy along the way. Man United have become that the last decade.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

TabClear

Quote from: Armamike on November 02, 2023, 10:16:03 AMHard to know where to start to get them back competing.  On the face of it there's few players there that are worth keeping.  Over 400 mill spent since summer 2022 - a lot of which was spent on players past their peak or other who simply didn't warrant the fee and weren't proven.  Players who should have been shipped out years ago are still there, which only festers negativity. Bonkers.  Get rid of Ten Hag and who do you replace him with.  Take a gamble on the Brighton manager or someone else who hasn't proved it at the very top level?  Groundhog Day.

There have been some sliding doors moments for United over the past few years. Signing  Maguire when City wanted him, Ronaldo the same. Mount in the Summer was apparently Liverpool's top target and I think they were rumoured to be looking at Antony as well :o  :o . I think Liverpool got lucky this summer with Caicedo as that was definitely a panic move but in general the difference seems to be that United refuse to be "outbid" for a target whereas City/Liverpool/Arsenal etc generally have a valuation in mind and if it is exceeded they walk away. 

Chelsea are the closest to United's approach and while that has not ended up well at least Chelsea buys are generally younger and on lower wages. United still have some decent players (which after £400m plus spend is crazy that you even have to comment) but as was said above, they have so many players on crazy money it would cost a fortune to reset. Despite the spend you would be hard pushed to name a single United player who would start in the City/Arsenal/Liverpool teams.

trailer

Quote from: statto on November 02, 2023, 09:33:47 AM
Quote from: trailer on November 02, 2023, 08:50:23 AMGarnacho, Mount and Dalot all got skinned for the first goal. That's the problem. I don't want EtH sacked but if the players stop running for him he will be.

The fact Martial and his Ballon D'Or clause are still at this f**king club says everything.

Casemiro was good last year but his performances have fallen off a cliff.

There's no aggression in this team. Not smashing someone late, but in the challenge to win the ball or hold onto it. These players lose all the 50:50 challenges and most of the others whether it's 60:40 or 75:25. They have given up. Again.

Hannibal was doing his fair bit of smashing about should have been sent off after 15 minutes.  Casemiro is also a hatchet man. 

That's not what I mean. Anyone can hack somebody down. Look at Dalot last night. No aggression to get goal side and win the ball back for the second goal. Garnacho too easy pushed off the ball. Martial, Mount the same.

Glazers need to start seeing empty seats. Only thing that will change things.

Newcastle were nearly relegated 2 years ago. Sold and a complete rebuild of the football side and now look at them.

Maroon Manc

I boycotted for 17 years because of the Glazers, only gone back because of the kids. I was at OT on Sunday, a crap experience where I was sat was full of day trippers with half and half scarfs and megastore bags. Gate receipts are up per game despite prices staying the same for ST holders, selling tickets for £300 for the derby with the option to buy a drink somewhere, its touting.

They are destroying the club with there incompetence, making the same mistakes with managers time and time again. Things were supposed to be different this time round yet £80m has been spent on Antony when Ajax would have taken £40m at the start of summer but we left it too late and they'd sold half their team so they didn't need to sell. Casemiro in isolation would have been fine but not on the back of signing Antony.

The culture of the club is rotten to the core with them, we're a rudderless ship. Barca, Real & Bayern have either spent a fortune on redeveloping the ground or moved to a new one whilst OT is decaying. The training ground is just average by premier league standards.

If by shear luck we'd had a manager in recent times who'd returned United to the top we wouldn't have remained there as they only care about finishing in the CL spots.

As for Ten Hag I hope he can turn it round in the next few weeks, saw so much promise last season although think its inevitable he'll be sacked.

As for Arteta there's no chance Ten Hag could get away with finishing 8th, 8th & 5th in his first 3 years.

Saffrongael

Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 02, 2023, 02:28:31 PMI boycotted for 17 years because of the Glazers, only gone back because of the kids. I was at OT on Sunday, a crap experience where I was sat was full of day trippers with half and half scarfs and megastore bags. Gate receipts are up per game despite prices staying the same for ST holders, selling tickets for £300 for the derby with the option to buy a drink somewhere, its touting.

They are destroying the club with there incompetence, making the same mistakes with managers time and time again. Things were supposed to be different this time round yet £80m has been spent on Antony when Ajax would have taken £40m at the start of summer but we left it too late and they'd sold half their team so they didn't need to sell. Casemiro in isolation would have been fine but not on the back of signing Antony.

The culture of the club is rotten to the core with them, we're a rudderless ship. Barca, Real & Bayern have either spent a fortune on redeveloping the ground or moved to a new one whilst OT is decaying. The training ground is just average by premier league standards.

If by shear luck we'd had a manager in recent times who'd returned United to the top we wouldn't have remained there as they only care about finishing in the CL spots.

As for Ten Hag I hope he can turn it round in the next few weeks, saw so much promise last season although think its inevitable he'll be sacked.

As for Arteta there's no chance Ten Hag could get away with finishing 8th, 8th & 5th in his first 3 years.

All the big clubs are at that "hospitality" carry on are they not ?
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Saffrongael on November 02, 2023, 02:42:30 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 02, 2023, 02:28:31 PMI boycotted for 17 years because of the Glazers, only gone back because of the kids. I was at OT on Sunday, a crap experience where I was sat was full of day trippers with half and half scarfs and megastore bags. Gate receipts are up per game despite prices staying the same for ST holders, selling tickets for £300 for the derby with the option to buy a drink somewhere, its touting.

All the big clubs are at that "hospitality" carry on are they not ?

United taken it to a new level the last few years, very few tickets go on sale to members, should be about 15,000 per game but thats not happening. ST holders if they can't go are told to give the ticket back to the club so it can be resold to a member but so many of those tickets are been sold as corporate tickets for over £300. They want fans spending at the megastore and ST holders and members are unlikely to do so.

Club ae going nowhere with them at the helm.

statto

Quote from: TabClear on November 02, 2023, 01:47:50 PM
Quote from: Armamike on November 02, 2023, 10:16:03 AMHard to know where to start to get them back competing.  On the face of it there's few players there that are worth keeping.  Over 400 mill spent since summer 2022 - a lot of which was spent on players past their peak or other who simply didn't warrant the fee and weren't proven.  Players who should have been shipped out years ago are still there, which only festers negativity. Bonkers.  Get rid of Ten Hag and who do you replace him with.  Take a gamble on the Brighton manager or someone else who hasn't proved it at the very top level?  Groundhog Day.

There have been some sliding doors moments for United over the past few years. Signing  Maguire when City wanted him, Ronaldo the same. Mount in the Summer was apparently Liverpool's top target and I think they were rumoured to be looking at Antony as well :o  :o . I think Liverpool got lucky this summer with Caicedo as that was definitely a panic move but in general the difference seems to be that United refuse to be "outbid" for a target whereas City/Liverpool/Arsenal etc generally have a valuation in mind and if it is exceeded they walk away. 

Chelsea are the closest to United's approach and while that has not ended up well at least Chelsea buys are generally younger and on lower wages. United still have some decent players (which after £400m plus spend is crazy that you even have to comment) but as was said above, they have so many players on crazy money it would cost a fortune to reset. Despite the spend you would be hard pushed to name a single United player who would start in the City/Arsenal/Liverpool teams.
Antony signing wouldn't have made sense as he plays/attempts to play in the same position as Salah so don't think that was ever a runner.  The alarming thing is that United seem to be continually getting bad characters Bruno, Antony, Sancho, Martial etc.  The process seems to be any new manager has a job on his hands getting rid of the deadwood and while ETH does that he then brings in his own deadwood which means the process is repeated again for what ever Manager comes after ETH. 

How many players can you say have improved under ETH?

AustinPowers

Quote from: Blowitupref on November 02, 2023, 01:44:29 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on November 02, 2023, 10:08:23 AMIt's amazing it took Liverpool 30 years to win the  title again.  Liverpool had  some  duff managers and players in that time , but I don't think they were ever  in such dire shape as united have been  in recent years

This year will be 11 since United won  the league .  The way things are going ,  a 30 year gap might not seem so outrageous

Ten Hag had a free  hit last season. Now it's on him, and even though  there are still dead wood there, it looks  like  he's just not up to  it, to be honest.

How was it a free hit last season? Don't think it's a job that gets any honeymoon period.

For a lot of that 30 years Liverpool weren't a league title contender it was about a reasonable league finish and picking up the odd cup trophy along the way. Man United have become that the last decade.

Because  he would need time to "change the culture", shift the dead wood , bring in his own men.  Had he finished 7 or 8th,  he wouldn't  have  got much grief as he "needs time" etc etc.

Now he's had 3 transfer windows, and 18 months,  and things are clearly  going backwards.  Any blame aimed at the Glazers is shifting  to Ten Hag.  Definitel progress was needed from the start of summer , but it's  not happening. So it looks like he's just not up  to the task.

I'm not just saying this now, but I was never convinced by ETH.  Didn't seem like  he had the personality  or passion that's needed ,  especially when dealing with lazy  arse hoors who need  a kick up the hole.  Fergie kept players on their toes , because he ruled by fear and  dominance.  Perhaps that's what's  lacking.

Armagh18

I'd honestly take 8th; 8th and 5th if the signs were there of something building. At the minute they just seem to be firing money at mediocrity. Even that Rashford tool, flying last season, new contract and puts the feet up.

Cunny Funt

Pep Guardiola on Man City sustained period of success and at the same time a subtle dig at how neighbours United are ran.

"We are in the same direction, me, the CEO, the sporting directors, the chairman. That is why I think the club is so stable."

Blowitupref

Quote from: AustinPowers on November 02, 2023, 05:24:50 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on November 02, 2023, 01:44:29 PM

Because  he would need time to "change the culture", shift the dead wood , bring in his own men.  Had he finished 7 or 8th,  he wouldn't  have  got much grief as he "needs time" etc etc.

Now he's had 3 transfer windows, and 18 months,  and things are clearly  going backwards.  Any blame aimed at the Glazers is shifting  to Ten Hag.  Definitel progress was needed from the start of summer , but it's  not happening. So it looks like he's just not up  to the task.

I'm not just saying this now, but I was never convinced by ETH.  Didn't seem like  he had the personality  or passion that's needed ,  especially when dealing with lazy  arse hoors who need  a kick up the hole.  Fergie kept players on their toes , because he ruled by fear and  dominance.  Perhaps that's what's  lacking.

Was always going to take a lot longer than one full season and a couple of transfer windows to change the culture and sure the last transfer window included a couple loan signings and bringing back a former player in his mid 30s? Doubtful Ten Hag would have got a 2nd season had United finished 7th or 8th last season. It's clear now United over achieved to finish 3rd last season and win a trophy, enough leeway to give him 3rd season is the main question now.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Armagh18

Let him at it I say. Changing managers isn't the answer as seen with all of them post Fergie.

Roy Keane and a good ash plant half them boys need.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 02, 2023, 07:27:16 PMLet him at it I say. Changing managers isn't the answer as seen with all of them post Fergie.

Chelsea proved you could hire and fire at will and still win trophies. If the structures are right - you can do anything.

thewobbler

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 02, 2023, 08:29:40 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on November 02, 2023, 07:27:16 PMLet him at it I say. Changing managers isn't the answer as seen with all of them post Fergie.

Chelsea proved you could hire and fire at will and still win trophies. If the structures are right - you can do anything.

The difference is that for 20 years Chelsea's success was underpinned by always having a core of established proper top-tier players in their ranks. When they downed tools the manager just had to go. When they picked up tools, the manager had largely an armchair ride.

Terry, Lampard, Cech, Drogba, Hazard, Essien, Kante, Duff, Gallas, Desailly, Rudiger, Makelele, Fabregas. The list just keeps going on and on.

It's no coincidence that Chelsea's model has started to seize since they moved away from buying high performance players, and just buying anyone with a YouTube highlights reel.