Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: beer baron on February 01, 2017, 11:05:01 PM
Calm down lads, it's a disappointing result but i'd take this over any time with Van Gaal. We're  improving and i expect us to finish top 4 which i never did with that goat in charge.

The mind truly boggles!

It's a sure sign that expectations have been lowered when some fans are happy with the progress despite drawing with one of the worst teams in the league. Utd have scored one more goal this season than Palace who are in the relegation zone. The football last night was last ditch desperation stuff far too early and the attacking play often lacks creativity in the final third. Given the transfer budget handed to Moyes, LVG and Mourinho in recent seasons, this underachievement is worrying. This team should be fighting for the title not scrambling to get into the top 4. Then you look at a Chelsea side coasting to the title who our manager was in charge of just over 12 months ago, and you have to ask questions.

magpie seanie

Quote from: NAG1 on February 02, 2017, 09:05:32 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on February 02, 2017, 07:14:46 AM
33 goals in 23 league games - is that an improvement? And spare me the "the team is playing better stuff" argument because if you're failing to score goals and you're Manchester United then it's a serious problem.

The manager making a tit out of himself yet again in his post match interview.

MS change the record, at the this stage we all know that you loathe JM but it is getting a bit repetitive hearing it every single post. How do you blame JM for last night?

Played Rashford, Miki, Zlatan from the start and introduced two more attacking subs in an attempt to win the game. At some point the players need to step up and be better than they were last night and take responsibility for it.

PP was very poor last night and seems to be lost at the moment, real lack of confidence or something. No driving runs or quality through balls, had the chance of the game and showed no composure to finish. I know it is an 'If' but had he slotted that one it would have been a matter of how many.

Credit to Hull they sat in and were well organised and their manager at least seems to have them playing together. Very unlucky when they hit the post not to come away with more from the game.

It was a good chance to close the gap but I dont think it will be the last, I see a lot of twitter sources claiming that Greizeman deal in close for the summer.

Sorry for being consistent with the inconvenient truth but if the manager can't be blamed then who do you blame? I'll take your points in order.

QuoteHow do you blame JM for last night?

Played Rashford, Miki, Zlatan from the start and introduced two more attacking subs in an attempt to win the game. At some point the players need to step up and be better than they were last night and take responsibility for it.

PP was very poor last night and seems to be lost at the moment, real lack of confidence or something. No driving runs or quality through balls, had the chance of the game and showed no composure to finish. I know it is an 'If' but had he slotted that one it would have been a matter of how many.

Bringing on Rooney for Carrick was ridiculous. At attacking substitution? Crazy. Besides the fact that Rooney is totally useless, Carrick had been involved in the few bright moments United produced in the first half. After reluctantly having to concede that Carrick had to play he now seems very intent on taking him off when United can't break teams down which seems shortsighted given he has the best range of passing in the team. As you mentioned Pogba was having one of his headless chicken games - why can he not be taken off? Why is it only the likes of Martial that he is "challenging" (I call it undermining). Anyway - when Jones got injured the stupid half time substitution became more costly. If Carrick was still on he could have slotted into the back 4 and come out with the ball regularly....sort of best of both worlds. Then you only have one sub left. Personally I would have gone with Fellaini - it has proved a handy bailout strategy in recent weeks when the usual approach isn't working (all too often).

QuoteCredit to Hull they sat in and were well organised and their manager at least seems to have them playing together. Very unlucky when they hit the post not to come away with more from the game.

Hull are bottom of the table and a club in complete crisis. Gimme a break. This is Manchester United and an array of extremely well paid international stars. The fact they could easily have won is pretty ridiculous.

QuoteI see a lot of twitter sources claiming that Greizeman deal in close for the summer.

Do you think the team is short on attacking options? Personally I don't. Griezmann is of course a brilliant player but I guarantee he'd struggle in this side. Where will he get played? Out wide? Behind Ibra? Do you think Martial should be got rid of (the manager seems hell bent on this). What about Rashford - get rid of him as well to make way for Griezmann?

United went on a good run because Mourinho was afraid he was going to get sacked and shut his mouth and stopped playing games with the media and fighting with the officials. Unfortunately (as I predicted ) this couldn't last and he's at his eccentric behaviour and criticising players openly again.

After 23 games last season United were 5 points off top 4 (effectively the same now) and had scored 28 goals (only 5 more this season), conceding 21 (same). The manager was close to the sack. Pogba, Ibrahimovic and Mkhitaryan have been added and the improvement is minimal yet I'm not allowed to question the manager for some reason??? A bit odd, do you not think? 

magpie seanie

Quote from: yellowcard on February 02, 2017, 09:40:51 AM
Calm down lads, it's a disappointing result but i'd take this over any time with Van Gaal. We're  improving and i expect us to finish top 4 which i never did with that goat in charge.

The mind truly boggles!

It's a sure sign that expectations have been lowered when some fans are happy with the progress despite drawing with one of the worst teams in the league. Utd have scored one more goal this season than Palace who are in the relegation zone. The football last night was last ditch desperation stuff far too early and the attacking play often lacks creativity in the final third. Given the transfer budget handed to Moyes, LVG and Mourinho in recent seasons, this underachievement is worrying. This team should be fighting for the title not scrambling to get into the top 4. Then you look at a Chelsea side coasting to the title who our manager was in charge of just over 12 months ago, and you have to ask questions.

Good points but slight correction - he had already been SACKED at this stage last season for losing the trust of his players.

Maroon Manc

As usual the over reaction to a bad result is laughable and posters appear out of nowhere.

Last night United were poor but this is the first time its happened this season at OT, the previous draws against Arsenal, Stoke, Burnley & West Ham we were very good and created plenty of chances whilst playing entertaining football. Last night was a one off in terms of dire football, lets see what happens over the next month.

I wouldn't have started Carrick, think he can get away with starting Mata in these type of games at OT. The only issue I have with Mourinho is Rooney, just don't get it; He was woeful last night and was nearly the cause of Hull scoring, he has done nothing all season to suggest he deserves to come on ahead of Mata. Left back continues to be a problem, Blind was dreadful last night. Rojo & Jones both excellent again last night, hopefully Jones isn't out for too long. We rely on Zlatan far too much, other players have got to start scoring goals when he isn't.

NAG1

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 02, 2017, 09:51:41 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on February 02, 2017, 09:05:32 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on February 02, 2017, 07:14:46 AM
33 goals in 23 league games - is that an improvement? And spare me the "the team is playing better stuff" argument because if you're failing to score goals and you're Manchester United then it's a serious problem.

The manager making a tit out of himself yet again in his post match interview.

MS change the record, at the this stage we all know that you loathe JM but it is getting a bit repetitive hearing it every single post. How do you blame JM for last night?

Credit to Hull they sat in and were well organised and their manager at least seems to have them playing together. Very unlucky when they hit the post not to come away with more from the game.

It was a good chance to close the gap but I dont think it will be the last, I see a lot of twitter sources claiming that Greizeman deal in close for the summer.

Sorry for being consistent with the inconvenient truth but if the manager can't be blamed then who do you blame? I'll take your points in order.

QuoteHow do you blame JM for last night?

Bringing on Rooney for Carrick was ridiculous. At attacking substitution? Crazy. Besides the fact that Rooney is totally useless, Carrick had been involved in the few bright moments United produced in the first half. After reluctantly having to concede that Carrick had to play he now seems very intent on taking him off when United can't break teams down which seems shortsighted given he has the best range of passing in the team. As you mentioned Pogba was having one of his headless chicken games - why can he not be taken off? Why is it only the likes of Martial that he is "challenging" (I call it undermining). Anyway - when Jones got injured the stupid half time substitution became more costly. If Carrick was still on he could have slotted into the back 4 and come out with the ball regularly....sort of best of both worlds. Then you only have one sub left. Personally I would have gone with Fellaini - it has proved a handy bailout strategy in recent weeks when the usual approach isn't working (all too often).

QuoteCredit to Hull they sat in and were well organised and their manager at least seems to have them playing together. Very unlucky when they hit the post not to come away with more from the game.

Hull are bottom of the table and a club in complete crisis. Gimme a break. This is Manchester United and an array of extremely well paid international stars. The fact they could easily have won is pretty ridiculous.

QuoteI see a lot of twitter sources claiming that Greizeman deal in close for the summer.

Do you think the team is short on attacking options? Personally I don't. Griezmann is of course a brilliant player but I guarantee he'd struggle in this side. Where will he get played? Out wide? Behind Ibra? Do you think Martial should be got rid of (the manager seems hell bent on this). What about Rashford - get rid of him as well to make way for Griezmann?

United went on a good run because Mourinho was afraid he was going to get sacked and shut his mouth and stopped playing games with the media and fighting with the officials. Unfortunately (as I predicted ) this couldn't last and he's at his eccentric behaviour and criticising players openly again.

After 23 games last season United were 5 points off top 4 (effectively the same now) and had scored 28 goals (only 5 more this season), conceding 21 (same). The manager was close to the sack. Pogba, Ibrahimovic and Mkhitaryan have been added and the improvement is minimal yet I'm not allowed to question the manager for some reason??? A bit odd, do you not think?

I didnt say you werent allowed to question him but simply blaming him continually is not the only answer.

I was surprised at the HT subbing of Carrick as I was one of the few United fans calling for him to be a regular fixture under the past three managers. I would be surprised if this wasnt for a niggle or a pull of some sort on Carrick.

Longer term I would say that the Greizeman could play in either of the wide positions or as a number ten. Rooneys day are limited as are Ibra's he is not going to last much outside of another season. Therefore if he persists with Martial and Rashford he could play either as a CF which both claim is their more natural position, yet to be proved conclusively for either.

Just because the United players are stars and well paid, doesnt negate the fact that Hull did a decent job of curtailing them. It was a lethargic performance all round, so couple that to Hulls resoluteness and it evened things up.

I would agree with PP not being subbed, he seems immune to this and I think JM is more concerned about protecting the prized asset than he is about Martial, Rashford, Miki etc. It would have done no harm to give him the hook last night.

I think JM is afraid of starting Mata and Miki together as both are easily disposed and dont have the recovery power, not that it should matter against Hull but it seems to be the case.

StGallsGAA

Top 4 certainly isn't beyond us, but we can't drop any more points like last night against bottom half teams plus we will probably need to beat at least 2 of Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal. Fergie was a master at avoiding draws. Going hell for leather all out attack usually resulted in winning 4 or 5 on the bounce then losing one.

magpie seanie

MM - United have been pretty bad for a month. This is not a one off. Also, left back is a problem because the manager seems to have a problem with Shaw. I thought Shaw was grand at the weekend and looked in good shape. Was he injured again last night? Blind and Darmian offer nothing in attack and aren't even that good defensively. Blind can read the game and pass but he's very slow.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 02, 2017, 10:17:57 AM
MM - United have been pretty bad for a month. This is not a one off. Also, left back is a problem because the manager seems to have a problem with Shaw. I thought Shaw was grand at the weekend and looked in good shape. Was he injured again last night? Blind and Darmian offer nothing in attack and aren't even that good defensively. Blind can read the game and pass but he's very slow.

There's always going to be periods during the season when performance levels drop and points are lost, our biggest problem was dropping points earlier on in the season when we were playing well. We should certainly have 8 more points then we have with those games in October/November. I'm not confident about finishing top 4, we'll have too many fixtures and its going to affect us.

Shaws been poor, looks nothing like the player he looked like at the beginning of last season. A few reports in the papers this morning have stated he'll be sold; United will no doubt put a buy back clause in case he turns it around like they've done with Depay and a couple of the youngsters that have recently left.

beer baron

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 02, 2017, 08:40:47 AM

Despite finishing 4th in his first season?

Yes. That was capitulation by those around us and we fell into the top 4, i  never expected it throughout the season.

beer baron

The mind truly boggles!

Of course expectations have been lowered, how would they not be from last/recent years performances?
Anyone that seriously expected Utd to be winning the league this season should have a long hard look at themselves. It's all well and good being hopeful for your team to win things but it makes more sense to be realistic and try look at things without red tinted glasses, a top 3 or 4 would certainly be progress.
Utd are improving as a side, clear to my eyes and that's what i trust more than any stats that can be pulled up and i'm certain come the seasons end it will show it. As usual the truth will be in the pudding come May.

Regarding yesterdays result it was very disappointing for sure but believe it or not there were games under Ferguson where Utd couldn't beat shite times and shouldn't be overreacted to which seems to be the norm particularly with anyone that dislikes Jose.

magpie seanie

Do you like Jose? Tell us why you like him? Is he misunderstood? Am I missing something? He's pretty ruthless in how he judges and treats players, especially young guys with creative, attacking instincts  - I'm merely applying a similar standard to him and he is a seasoned manager.

It's not an overreaction to one bad result. There have been a run of bad results and performances. And there was the worst start to the season in 26/27 years - don't forget that. Worse than Van Gaal or Moyes (both sacked) and only just better than Fergie the time he nearly got sacked. To not even question the manager like some don't is mind blowing to me.

beer baron

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 02, 2017, 11:13:55 AM
Do you like Jose? Tell us why you like him? Is he misunderstood? Am I missing something? He's pretty ruthless in how he judges and treats players, especially young guys with creative, attacking instincts  - I'm merely applying a similar standard to him and he is a seasoned manager.

It's not an overreaction to one bad result. There have been a run of bad results and performances. And there was the worst start to the season in 26/27 years - don't forget that. Worse than Van Gaal or Moyes (both sacked) and only just better than Fergie the time he nearly got sacked. To not even question the manager like some don't is mind blowing to me.

I don't have a strong opinion on him either way. I do know he has a history of doing well in the league which is a nice change for us and it's not a season in yet, relax, give the man a chance, come the end of the season we'll have a better idea how it's going, i suspect it'll look a lot better, until then question away but words  like "disastrous" are misplaced.

Maroon Manc

We've had one bad performance in the league, we were fine against Stoke and we were hardly shocking against Liverpool. Prior to that we went through a period from November to December where we played some great football and won 7 games out of 11 that certainly should have been at 10 based on the way we dominated those matches. There is a huge difference on the dross we had to put up with LVG from last season where there was so many matches where we just didn't create any chances at all.

As for the refs i don't blame him, last night we were the on the receiving end of another diabolical decision. Niasse after been booked committed 2 yellow card offences; They were both very blatant too, I've seen players sent off for similar challenges.

yellowcard

Quote from: beer baron on February 02, 2017, 11:07:35 AM

The mind truly boggles!

Of course expectations have been lowered, how would they not be from last/recent years performances?
Anyone that seriously expected Utd to be winning the league this season should have a long hard look at themselves. It's all well and good being hopeful for your team to win things but it makes more sense to be realistic and try look at things without red tinted glasses, a top 3 or 4 would certainly be progress.
Utd are improving as a side, clear to my eyes and that's what i trust more than any stats that can be pulled up and i'm certain come the seasons end it will show it. As usual the truth will be in the pudding come May.

Regarding yesterdays result it was very disappointing for sure but believe it or not there were games under Ferguson where Utd couldn't beat shite times and shouldn't be overreacted to which seems to be the norm particularly with anyone that dislikes Jose.

The barometer of success should always be to win the league title. I'm not saying I expected it but I thought they would at least mount a challenge. It is why Mourinho was hired as he always puts instant success ahead of long term team building projects. It is why players like Shaw, Martial and Rashford have had their progress stunted and why ready made big players like Ibra, Pogba & Miki were bought. They were 2nd favourites behind Man City before a ball was kicked this season why should a PL challenge not be expected given the resources available.

NAG1

Not much the manager can do if a player pulls out of a match day squad last minute twice, claiming not to be ready.