Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Quote from: NAG1 on April 11, 2016, 12:55:44 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 11, 2016, 12:50:53 PM
I think Mourinho would win the title with United, or at least press very close depending on what Man City, Chelsea and others do. However I think he'd leave a stench around the place when he left, inevitably after about 3 years.

Yeah I dont think there is that 'love' for Mourinho around OT, but it does leave you with the question if not him who?

Why would Poch leave Spurs they are on an upward curve and have a new stadium on the way.

I think any manager coming in is going to have a serious go at the squad and would be a massive turnover of players. Not that I think it is required but I can see it happening.

Who are the other realistic candidates?

New stadiums can also mean a lot of uncertainty on the pitch in order to balance the books. Look at Arsenal. Poch would leave as United are a miles bigger club than Spurs!

Boycey

I think Mourinho would win the title with United, or at least press very close depending on what Man City, Chelsea and others do. However I think he'd leave a stench around the place when he left, inevitably after about 3 years.

I said similar on here several months ago, the problem is there don't seem that many obvious alternatives. Poch or Koeman maybe

seafoid

Quote from: StGallsGAA on April 11, 2016, 11:32:12 AM
QuoteQuestion is whether Man U go back to their f**king perch (Copyright A Ferguson) or stay down like Liverpool , polishing the glorious history.
The last downtime Man U had lasted more than 20 years

Whilst nothing is impossible (Leicester being a fine example) I think its unlikely that Utd will fade away given their income.  The right manager is the only missing piece of the jigsaw to them challenging for the title every year again.
It depends what happens with the income.

What has happened in the last 20 years is that the clubs have been bought by the billionaire class. Some of them use them as playthings and others as money generators. 

There was an article a while ago in the FT about the 2 business models in English football. The sugar daddy Chelsea/Man City/ "money is no object" versus the accountant driven Arsenal/Man Utd/Liverpool

Clubs that win in Europe are model 1. Barca, PSG , Chelsea pre collapse

Will Man Utd move to model 1 ? Not unless the Glazers sell them.
Who manages them is a detail.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: seafoid on April 11, 2016, 11:13:19 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 11, 2016, 10:35:04 AM
Quote from: seafoid on April 11, 2016, 05:13:42 AM
LVG loses 3 Nil and says Man U will always be bigger than the team they just lost to, because of his team's  history. Probably. But it reminded me of a Man Utd chant at Anfield

You are shit
no one cares about your history...

Spurs haven't won a title since 1961 and looks likely they won't do it again this season. He was asked a stupid question and United will always be a bigger club than Spurs.

As for the game, we offered nothing going forward but that was the way we were set up as we never had any more than one player in the box when we were about to cross it. As soon as Fosu-Mensah went off Spurs became very dangerous down his side, I thought he was excellent; He should have been first choice since xmas, I do think he'll be a centre mid eventually.

If we win all our remaining games we'd probably finish top 4 but we haven't a hope with LVG still here.
Question is whether Man U go back to their f**king perch (Copyright A Ferguson) or stay down like Liverpool , polishing the glorious history.

Liverpool are still a bigger club than Spurs, a lot bigger.

seafoid

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 11, 2016, 01:31:25 PM
LVG loses 3 Nil and says Man U will always be bigger than the team they just lost to, because of his team's  history. Probably. But it reminded me of a Man Utd chant at Anfield

You are shit

Spurs haven't won a title since 1961 and looks likely they won't do it again this season. He was asked a stupid question and United will always be a bigger club than Spurs.

As for the game, we offered nothing going forward but that was the way we were set up as we never had any more than one player in the box when we were about to cross it. As soon as Fosu-Mensah went off Spurs became very dangerous down his side, I thought he was excellent; He should have been first choice since xmas, I do think he'll be a centre mid eventually.

If we win all our remaining games we'd probably finish top 4 but we haven't a hope with LVG still here.
Question is whether Man U go back to their f**king perch (Copyright A Ferguson) or stay down like Liverpool , polishing the glorious history.

Obviously. But the issue is what happens to man utd now that it has lost its mojo.
and the influence of the billionaire class changes everything. Liverpool is much bigger club than Man City but...

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 11, 2016, 01:01:53 PM

Yeah I dont think there is that 'love' for Mourinho around OT, but it does leave you with the question if not him who?

Why would Poch leave Spurs they are on an upward curve and have a new stadium on the way.

I think any manager coming in is going to have a serious go at the squad and would be a massive turnover of players. Not that I think it is required but I can see it happening.

New stadiums can also mean a lot of uncertainty on the pitch in order to balance the books. Look at Arsenal. Poch would leave as United are a miles bigger club than Spurs!

Its a tough one, if Spurs can add 2 or 3 quality players to that squad I'd make them favourites to win the league next season with Pochettino still in charge. But on the other hand he left Soton to join a bigger club and United would likely double his money and you never know if he'll get the opportunity again. I do think United's chances of getting him would improve if he won the league with Spurs which doesn't look likely.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: seafoid on April 11, 2016, 01:37:12 PM

You are shit

Obviously. But the issue is what happens to man utd now that it has lost its mojo.
and the influence of the billionaire class changes everything. Liverpool is much bigger club than Man City but...

United's turnover is about 50% more than Liverpool, United can compete financially with anyone should they wish to do so. Players care about how much money they earn and United pay as well as anyone including Real & Barca.

NAG1

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 11, 2016, 01:46:17 PM

Its a tough one, if Spurs can add 2 or 3 quality players to that squad I'd make them favourites to win the league next season with Pochettino still in charge. But on the other hand he left Soton to join a bigger club and United would likely double his money and you never know if he'll get the opportunity again. I do think United's chances of getting him would improve if he won the league with Spurs which doesn't look likely.

Not that I am a mad fan of Poch but I seriously dont think he would consider leaving Spurs at the moment. He has some of the best young talent and is based in London. He knows as does any one that United is a serious rebuild job if not in terms of squad number in terms of morale and confidence.

If that is the two options Poch or Koeman for me thats not much of a choice.

nrico2006

Quote from: snoopdog on April 11, 2016, 12:49:21 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 11, 2016, 12:41:35 PM
Surely United should be breaking the bank for Pocchetino. Would United fans be content with another year of LVG if it meant getting Poch?
Personally I wouldn't want Pochettino,  what has he done? Got spurs to 2nd in a poor premier league. United need to get rid of lvg.  And mourinho is the only option we need a winner and we need him now. LVG shouldve been gone b4 xmas I'm assuming his contract is a bit like moyes. Fail to get at least 4th spot and your gonew with a smaller pay off.

I have been saying the same - Mourinho is the best manager in the world.  He has been at clubs that have had too many people sticking their nose in team affairs, hence the fall outs.  At United he would be the only one in charge and there would be no Perez or Abrahmovic and I actually think he could stay a long time.  On top of that, there are some players at United that need to go but I don't think the squad is in that bad a shape, its more a result of the restrictions that LVG has on the players, he employs a risk free in every tactic he has.

As for Pocchetino, he seems like a very good manager and I do believe that given him leaving Southampton for Spurs so easily that he would be open to the jump to the next level.  But I have the exact same concerns as yourself in that this years league is terrible (standard wise) and he could ultimately just be one of those managers who is good at getting a group of players to over-achieve (a bit like Moyes at Everton) and ultimately not be a manager who can take a team to the next level and win titles consistently.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Maroon Manc

Quote from: NAG1 on April 11, 2016, 01:50:48 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 11, 2016, 01:46:17 PM

Not that I am a mad fan of Poch but I seriously dont think he would consider leaving Spurs at the moment. He has some of the best young talent and is based in London. He knows as does any one that United is a serious rebuild job if not in terms of squad number in terms of morale and confidence.

If that is the two options Poch or Koeman for me thats not much of a choice.

Who knows but money talks and he's got from for moving to bigger clubs. I still think we've got some very good players and he'd have the money to put it right.

I think we'll end up with Mourinho, its the most logical appointment for the Glazers to make.

seafoid

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 11, 2016, 01:48:41 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 11, 2016, 01:37:12 PM

You are shit

United's turnover is about 50% more than Liverpool, United can compete financially with anyone should they wish to do so. Players care about how much money they earn and United pay as well as anyone including Real & Barca.
It is about what happens to the turnover. And the Glazers do not spend the money as the fans think they do

Jeepers Creepers

Could Mourinho end up at Spurs? If they are knocking on the door of the P'ship top 2 and Champions League, would they want someone tried and tested in?

seafoid

Most top managers get max 10 years on top . Look at Wenger, Ancelotti, Cruyff and maybe even Pep. Maureen is no longer irreplaceable.  He has been going since 04

BennyCake

LVG apologises to Spurs fans for not not becoming their manager. I'm sure they laughed at that.

He should be apologising to United's fans for the brutal job he's doing.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: BennyCake on April 10, 2016, 07:28:25 PM
LVG pencilled in for a third year I hear. Sweet Jesus! I'll be taking next season off then.
You only heard this now? Van Gaal signed a three year contract when he was appointed manager of Manchester United and its clear now the only way that contract won't be fulfilled is no top four finish is achieved this season. Safe bet is a new manager will be in the Old Trafford hot seat next season as i don't think Manchester United will finish in the top four.