Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

annapr

Quote from: stiffler on January 12, 2015, 07:42:34 AM
Utd have went backwards since Christmas. A month ago people thought they were a shoe in for top 4, now am not so sure.
There is plenty who thought they would win the league.

ballinaman

Quote from: annapr on January 12, 2015, 09:24:57 AM
Quote from: stiffler on January 12, 2015, 07:42:34 AM
Utd have went backwards since Christmas. A month ago people thought they were a shoe in for top 4, now am not so sure.
There is plenty who thought they would win the league.
2 things wrong with that sentence.

GJL

A bad start to the season no doubt but Utd have just went on an 11 game unbeaten run. They lost yesterday in a game they could easily have drawn or even won. They are in the top 4 and still in the FA cup. Providing top 4 can be secured I think LVG is doing what is expected of him especially considering the crazy amount of injuries he has had to cope with. I would though question why Falcao was not even on the bench yesterday.

deiseach

EC Unique got to the game this weekend.

NAG1

Dont think many United fans would have been saying this a start of season, but the team actually did miss Ashley Young yesterday.

Everything was very one paced and no injection of pace.

Think LVG got it right, Southampton came for the draw set up for the draw and got away with the win. Bit of justice I suppose for United's robbery at St Mary's earlier in the season.

Bad performance all round, but as I and others had said, no way United were challenging for the title this season, its about getting back to champions league and that would make a 'good' season.

Problem is that every time a team attacks against what ever combination is being played at the back, you expect them to get some joy a shot away a corner or a goal. None of the defenders look commanding or confident and this spreads to the team.

magpie seanie

There is a worrying lack of goals/cutting edge about United though in general play they were decent. Passed it well but it was always in front of Southampton. I don't think playing Di Maria with his back to goal has a future (where was Falcao yesterday??). Shaw really disappointed several times when the ball was worked to him in good positions. Looks to be low on confidence or a wee bit confused. Overall United's crossing and final ball was terrible, they seem to be trying to be too clever.

All that said though it's way ahead of last year. It was about this time that the wheels really fell off for Moyes' team so lets leave the points/position comparisons until the end of the season. If United can sort out the attacking play (does LVG discourage dribbling/taking players on?) then they could go on another winning run, the defense looked ok yesterday (albeit rarely tested) and has been reasonable for the last while.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 12, 2015, 12:03:57 PM
There is a worrying lack of goals/cutting edge about United though in general play they were decent. Passed it well but it was always in front of Southampton. I don't think playing Di Maria with his back to goal has a future (where was Falcao yesterday??). Shaw really disappointed several times when the ball was worked to him in good positions. Looks to be low on confidence or a wee bit confused. Overall United's crossing and final ball was terrible, they seem to be trying to be too clever.

All that said though it's way ahead of last year. It was about this time that the wheels really fell off for Moyes' team so lets leave the points/position comparisons until the end of the season. If United can sort out the attacking play (does LVG discourage dribbling/taking players on?) then they could go on another winning run, the defense looked ok yesterday (albeit rarely tested) and has been reasonable for the last while.

Formation is killing us and without Young we don't have a left wingback, Shaw is a left back not a wingback. We're too easy to play against, no width and a real lack of pace in the middle and final third. As the poster above states we really miss Young in this formation. Teams are allowing Smalling & Jones time on the ball because they know they can't hurt them, I'd like to see Evans & Jones given a chance as a pair with Shaw & Rafa either side of them.

Reverting back to a back 4 is imperative, I'd like to see Di Maria & Januzaj out wide. Both players are capable of playing on either wing and can both play inside. It would make us far less unpredictable and a lot better to watch.

We're a better side than last year hence our performance against the top sides.

maldini

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 12, 2015, 03:05:42 PM

Formation is killing us and without Young we don't have a left wingback, Shaw is a left back not a wingback. We're too easy to play against, no width and a real lack of pace in the middle and final third. As the poster above states we really miss Young in this formation. Teams are allowing Smalling & Jones time on the ball because they know they can't hurt them, I'd like to see Evans & Jones given a chance as a pair with Shaw & Rafa either side of them.

Reverting back to a back 4 is imperative, I'd like to see Di Maria & Januzaj out wide. Both players are capable of playing on either wing and can both play inside. It would make us far less unpredictable and a lot better to watch.

You would expect that after £200m was spent in the summer, however the points tally this year and last after 21 games is the same

beer baron

Utd are just as bad as last year despite the investment.We're only in for a shot at top four because the league is woeful.

Jeepers Creepers

Never mind Messi, will be interesting to see if he plays Falcao as the main striker up top now that Van Persie is injured. If not just send him back to Monaco and put us all out of our misery.

nrico2006

Why is Herrera not playing - before this season it was identified that we needed a creative hub in midfield and he is meant to be that player.

Also, RVP must have dodgy pictures of LVG as he seems to be a certain starter.  I would be playing Falcao and Rooney up front with Mata and Di Maria behind them and any 2 of Carrick, Herrera and Blind in midfield.  We still need steel in the middle and a bit more pace is required in there too - are Carvalho or Strootman that kind of player?  Januzaj should be getting more game time too, great pace and technique.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Maroon Manc

Quote from: annapr on January 13, 2015, 11:33:19 AM
Quote from: seafoid on January 13, 2015, 07:49:16 AM
Would man Utd buy Messi ?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jan/12/lionel-messi-manchester-united-move-barcelona
Would Messi really want to join Man United. I doubt it somehow.

If he did leave he wouldn't exactly have too many choices of club due to FFP, only United, Bayern or Real could afford him and there's no chance of him ever going to Real. It won't happen though , Enrique will be sacked at the end of the year and Messi will probably hand pick his successor.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: maldini on January 12, 2015, 04:20:10 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 12, 2015, 03:05:42 PM

You would expect that after £200m was spent in the summer, however the points tally this year and last after 21 games is the same

It was £150m and you would expect some improvement but we have had over 50 injuries this season and there has been a lot of changes to personnel and the way we play. The time to judge him is at the end of the season.